LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Naturopathic Route or the Allopathic Route

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Naturopathic Route or the Allopathic Route
cfm11205
Member # 45429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cfm11205     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am stepping out on a limb here and seeking advice on which route to take in regards to my treatment.

I was diagnosed with lyme about a month ago. I am not very symptomatic, so I feel I might have some time on my hands.

I am in the chornic lyme stage, but my only symptoms are chronic fatigue, some join pain, and an increase in anxiety and depression. I am able to manage those symptoms and I work a full time job and have energy for other extra curricular activities.

I have always been leery of antibiotics and have had a difficult time taking them.

While waiting to be accepted by a lyme literate physician, I went to a naturopathic doctor who has lyme.

I feel very comfortable with her, and I would like to follow her treatment for a while.

She is getting my nutrition under control, healing the gut, repleting my nutrients, helping me get a better nights rest, and working to balance my mood (anxiety and depression) with supplements.

I've only been working with her for 2 weeks, but a lyme MD doctor called and said they can get me in at the end of this month.

Now I feel torn....

The naturopathic doctor does not think antibiotics is the answer, and she also believes my lyme is not one of my top concerns at the moment. She wants to address other things before we try killing some of the lyme. It makes sense to me, but I have only been dealing with this for a month and I am far from being educated on this matter.

Again, I trust this woman. I have researched her and know she is a reputable person.

My only concern is not going to a MD and getting on antibiotics seems absurd to my family and I'm afraid I might be putting myself in danger of getting much worse symptoms.

Would any of you be willing to share your thoughts on this subject?

Posts: 26 | From Houston | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've done both and so have a lot of others.

Treatment means to 1)kill/deter the organisms, 2)detox, and 3)fortify the body.

Your naturopath sounds like she is doing #3 well.

If you say you've always had a hard time taking antibiotics, perhaps you would be a better candidate for other methods to treat the organisms, like Buhner herbs, Zhang Chinese herbs, or Cowden protocol.

The Buhner site is www.planetthrive.org, and there's a yahoo site for it too,
fightinglymewithbuhner.

People also Rife, do oxygen dives, etc - there are ways to get the load down.

One more comment, just to be complete here, for me - I have had a hard time with antibiotics too, yet found one I could take, which is clindamycin. I took it for 5 years for Lyme before it didn't work anymore. CLinda is not for everyone. Just wanted to mention that because, in spite of having a hard time with abx, I did find one I could take.

Now I take turmeric to keep the inflammation down in muscles and joints. I have been going the natural anti-inflammatory route. There are lots of those options.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cfm11205
Member # 45429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cfm11205     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for your suggestions. I will definitely look into them.

Would it be better to get my body healthier before taking antibiotics?

Posts: 26 | From Houston | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
From what you say, I do NOT think that particular ND is a correct choice. She may have lyme but she certainly does not sound lyme literate.

To not believe that lyme is a top issue & to not assertively, absolutely, directly target lyme by some very distinct method . . . can be the worst mistake of one's life.

Yes, there ARE other factors . . . other matters for you right now and yes, those need to be addressed. But lyme really does have to take a front seat, too, along with a couple top companions like liver / adrenal / neuro support.

To wait on lyme can be a big error, though. Lyme is what CAUSES so much of this other destruction.

Now, it may be that all the elements of her plan can be adequately conveyed here but I've been to MANY NDs that told me the same things. Some even said they had lyme, or cancer and won. But they failed me - big time because they did not fully understand the nature of lyme, itself.

Finally, after I spent all my money, our state did get some ILADS educated LL NDs. Too late for me, though. Money had been spent on those who thought they knew all they needed to know but most certainly did not.

You might find out more about just how much she knows about lyme. IMO, she should have attended some of ILADS conference and be familiar with the top LLMDs methods, books, etc. as well as with the top LL NDs or similar (Buhner, Zhang, etc.)
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
When considering herbal / nutritional / adjunct methods, because lyme is so very complex & unique, as are possible coinfections:

if at all possible - because each person & each case is different - it's best to consult with an ILADS-educated LL ND (lyme literate naturopathic doctor) (or similar) who has completed four years of post-graduate medical education in the field of herbal and nutritional medicine -

- and someone who is current with ILADS' research & presentations, past and present, and has completed the ILADS Physician Training Program (see: www.ilads.org )

so they really know all they can about the science of lyme . . . how lyme (& other TBD) act and what we can do about that in various ways.

Many LL NDs incorporate antibiotics (depending upon the licensing laws in their state). Some LLMDs and LL NDs have good working relationships.

When possible, it's great to have both a LLMD and LL ND and even better when they have a long-standing professional relationship.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/2/13964

How to find an ILADS-educated LL:

N.D. (Naturopathic Doctor);

L.Ac. (Acupuncturist);

D.Ay. (Doctor of Ayurvedic Medicine);

D.O.M. (Doctor of Oriental Medicine);

Herbal Safety considerations & reference books; etc.

Links to many articles and books by holistic-minded LL doctors of various degrees who all have this basic approach in common:

Understanding of the importance of addressing the infection(s) fully head-on with specific measures from all corners of medicine;

knowing which supplements have direct impact, which are only support and which are both.

You can compare and contrast many approaches with links to articles, books, methods . . .

RIFE MACHINE LINKS here . . . and

BODY WORK methods / links (and why anyone who works on your spine MUST be LL to the degree they at least know to never suddenly twist neck or spine. Never. Ever. And that we should never be advised to do neck / head / shoulder stands.)
-

[ 03-27-2015, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cfm11205
Member # 45429

She thinks I need to treat the coinfections before the lyme disease.
cfm11205
Member # 45429

You just suddenly grabbed my attention with the body work information.

I am currently in Physical Therapy for a disc bulge. She does adjust me on the table and I go to a chiropractor too. Is this bad for some reason?

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
It can be damaging if too much pressure is pushed on the spine for someone with lyme in the spinal cord or if the spine is inflamed due to lyme --

or if the budge is DUE to lyme / spirochetes camping out right there, as is very likely.

Then the spirochetes - all irritated and angry from being interfered with - have more of an push and an reason to zoom up the to brain (so to speak) as the entire spinal cord fluid contents connects to the brain (the cerebral spinal fluid - CSF).

I would not touch it until you get a LL doctor's advice.

Lyme can also get into bone and if it's in your vertebrae (bone), it could be crushed with the kinds of pressure that some adjustments utilize.

If you go to that links set above, scroll down to find the body work posts, that is explained there.

Body work on other parts, just not the spine can help the spine, though. Do take a look there at the good options.
-

[ 03-27-2015, 06:42 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Mvdr
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mvdr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told by a ND that Lyme wasn't my biggest problem. That was after 8 mos of antibiotic treatment but I was so sick.

I stopped all treatment from LLMD and went with the ND. I am much better and well on my way to recovery. I started treatment at the end of July.

We dealt with Lyme, parasites, yeast, allergies, toxins, migraines, hormones, etc. I wouldn't change a thing except stop treatment with the MD sooner.

Rife was a big part of my treatment and I recently bought a Rife machine which I'll continue for a long time to come.

We're all different and you have to choose what's best for you. I personally could not tolerate any more Pharmaceuticals. Plus I couldn't afford it.

My ND is not Lyme Literate. He saved my life and I doubt if I will ever go back to a conventional MD, except to get a Rx for my Thyroid rx. It sounds to me like you have already made your decision! Good luck to you!

Posts: 143 | From Pittsburgh | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why don't you go to the LLMD and see what he/she says? What's the harm? You could always see both together.
Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's good to get a couple opinions if you can afford them.

If you're chronic and functional, that's wonderful.

I got to the point where I couldn't tolerate drugs and do Chinese medicine now. The drugs are good with acute cases and people who are chronically ill. It just depends what works for your body.

I like what this site has to say:

http://www.tiredoflyme.com/what-to-do-if-you-suspect-you-have-lyme-disease.html#.VReM0_nF_w8

2. Determine if you'd prefer a holistic, conventional, or combined treatment protocol for chronic Lyme Disease

This is really a personal choice heavily influenced by a person's personal beliefs and experiences. Neither choice is more right nor wrong than the other but each one has their advantages and disadvantages. It is also important to remember that people have put their Chronic Lyme Disease into remission both holistically and conventionally...

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would just follow my gut feeling.

Trust is one of the first important things on a practioner-client relation.

I can't take abx either, without feeling much worse with them. Neither could my daughter.

So we did other methods. And even if you go abx, you WILL have to do the other methods too, as you mention yourself. Abx alone will NOT cure you from chronic lyme.

But of course, if you have the budget, you can go to both practioners. I always visited a medical doctor and a naturopathic doctor, who knew each other. None were abx fans, and each encouraged me to see the other practioner, as I was a bad case.

I got healed, and so did my daughter, and today, I will NEVER try abx unless I find nothing else to help me. The damage to the gut, allergies, gut disease, candida, pain, it doesn't worth the pain for us!

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love NDs. Lyme docs know how to kill and what to focus on. NDs know how to support your body.
it's good to have an ND in the loop. Supporting the body is major when it comes to lyme.

You might consider seeing an ART practitioner for your lyme (think there is one where you live). They don't like using abx, but will if they have to (new bite), and they know what it takes to support your specific issues.

Along with lyme, there's always co infections that come with lyme. The ART practitioner or lyme doc will know how to treat these, the ND won't have a clue. At the very least, I would do Buhner herbs and an ND.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement