LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What can I replace Rifampin with

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What can I replace Rifampin with
lolo
Member # 43186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lolo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been on Rifampin for about 2 mos 150 2x Also have been taking
Zith for 8 mos. plus some herbal tinctures and silver.

I really wanted to stick it out with Rifampin as it seems to help so many with Bart but I am 70 and live alone, no help when I have a bad herx .

My feeling is it probably won't really begin to help until I get to 300 mg 2x and as bad as I feel on 150mg, I can't see myself going higher.

My LLMD wants me to add Doxy, but I like to adjust to one med before adding another. She agrees with that.

The whole thing has got me very anxious as my doc is retiring in 6 mos and then I may be on my own and self treating.

How long should I fool around with the Rifampin before throwing in the towel, adding the Doxy and maybe another ABX?

I feel like the clock is ticking not only because I will be losing my LLMD but because of my age.

The other thing that makes me feel discouraged is I have a friend who is also my age and treating Bart and has been on 300mg of Rifampin 2x a day for a year, and I really don't see much improvement with her.

Posts: 51 | From Albuquerque | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
droid1226
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Levaquin. People will tell you it's the devil, others will say it's an angel.

The latter for me. You could start off with baby doses, ramp up.

Ceftrex IV helped my neuro bart symptoms. Idk if the oral would be the same.

If no budget or insurance is paying, maybe tygecycline but I'm not sure.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/droid1226/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bitten in Bergen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bitten in Bergen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beyond Balance Bar-2 - you can titer to the dose you can tolerate and then work up. It's a wonderful thing. And it's far safer than any conventional antibiotic.

Just be sure to add these items to cover the mood issues with bart before meals - parsley drops, drainage support, and lumbrokinase or nattokinase.

Binders like charcoal 2 hours after "killers" are probably a good idea, too.

Can you find a good naturopath that is lyme-literate?

Posts: 348 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackstone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The for Bartonella / BLO, current wisdom on the prescription side is the use of fluoroquinolones.

This class of medications has alarmed many patients because of the possibilities for peripheral neuropathy and tendon damage were not properly labeled - this has since been updated in the past few years. While any patient and their physician should certainly be on the lookout for, and take precautions (ie beneficial supplements, like magnesium, taken away from the antibiotics etc.), there are many patients who utilize these drugs without those sorts of side effects. Also, be wary of how many medications you take that can prolong the QT interval - you don't want to "stack" more than one at a time!

Its is also worthwhile to note that the latest fourth-generation quinolones are thought by many LLMDs to be both safer and more effective than Levaquin. These newer drugs are Avalox (moxifloxicin) and Factive (gemifloxicin). Unfortunately, at least in my area, there seems to be a huge shortage (and or, lack of production? Strange, because it is still under patent) Factive. Avalox is a bit easier to get ahold of. I'll probably be starting one of the two in the following months, with Factive preferable if I can acquire it.

I'd be interested to know if any US resident is currently or has recently (since the beginning of 2015) taken Factive and if it is easily available.

The use of BactrimDS is another option, but for many patients it isn't as effective on their particular Bartonella / BLO strain.

On the herbal side, Byron White's A-Bart is said to be a useful combination. However, unconfirmed discussion suggests that Beyond Balance's "BAR-2" is a better, more powerful option. I'm in the process of getting my account set up with Beyond Balance so I've not had the chance to purchase any of their products as of yet.

Hope this is helpful.

Posts: 690 | From East coast, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
droid1226
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Factive is available here. It takes 2 weeks to get but it's under .80 a pill. Generic of course.

http://www.alldaychemist.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=factive

I got my meds from these guys for a yr. Never a screw up, late med, mistake, etc....incredible site. Idk how much longer they'll be around.

Some of their pricing is literally a 80x's cheaper than some drugs here other's are randomly more expensive. They have everything except IV and controlled substances....it's such a racket here.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/droid1226/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The combination of doxy and rifampin was almost a wonder mix for me. I felt great on them. Bart came back though.

I do well managing my bart with A-Bart. I think Bitten's suggestions would be good as well. Bart is a beast, I just feel like why suffer when managing them is easier to do with herbs. Also, red root is a good drainer.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement