LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Is it possible Lyme is just an allergy catalyst?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is it possible Lyme is just an allergy catalyst?
droid1226
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So if you get bit by the "lone star tick" then eat red meat, some can have an anaphylactic shock like reaction and die?

So if you get bit by another tick and eat a peanut , couldn't you have the same reaction to the mold? Peanuts are like the highest rated moldy foods there is, plus inflammatory. So it's not the peanut itself, it's the mold.

People are allergic to shellfish, isn't it possible to be ultra allergic the the heavy metals in it if you have that tick borne illness already?

Idk...Just a thought. That symptoms are a result of you not being able to tolerate your surroundings, not the actual spirochete that is making you sick. Causing inflammatory reactions left and right.

Highly unlikely. But we need a new paradigm to think of this disease in.

[ 03-29-2015, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: droid1226 ]

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/droid1226/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
droid1226
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not likely I guess, canned fish have high metals and people don't have the same reaction.

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts?

--------------------

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting since Claritin is supposed to help. And now I'm allergic to just about everything.

Regarding the allergies .. In my case and many others, it's all about the health of the gut.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me too - Lyme too! Ugh!
Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
S13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for S13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme for a lot of people causes a Th2 immune shift. An overactive Th2 causes antibody production going out of control. As a result you get allergies against everything.

So no, lyme by itself is not an allergy.

For some people (like myself) the immune system does shift in the Th1 direction (which is the deadly pro-inflammatory side) as a respond to the lyme bacteria. Its basically your body's attempt to keep the infection under control. But there are several reasons why even a Th1 shift is not sufficient for lyme eradication. Think of immune exhaustion, mineral deficiencies, heavy metal blockage, etc.
So people with th1 shift have very little allergies.

You can read more about th1 and th2 balancing here:
http://selfhacked.com/2014/06/16/supplements-foods-exercise-right-type-th1-vs-th2-dominance/

Posts: 381 | From The Netherlands | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
droid1226
Member # 34930

Thanks for the great link S13. I mislabeled the title. I was more referring to people blaming the actual peanut or shellfish when it's another reason like the mold....

But now I'm reading that link and I'm thinking of asking to get tested for that. The only success I've had with this disease is methylation so I'm studying that link. That's crazy. Never looked into Th1 or Th2 but now I want to know.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the LLMD in Louisiana treats this Th1 and Th2 .. not sure how he does it though.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always been told my peanut sx were from the mold- not the nut.

I also always read that (and makes sense to me) that tick disease causes an autoimmune response that triggers the allergies. ?

is this what you are takling about?

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SacredHeart
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacredHeart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I eat lots of peanut butter. Does this mean I have to stop?

--------------------
Lyme flare June, July, August of 2013. Diagnosed September 2014 Lyme, Bartonella, Mycoplasma, Mono

Posts: 595 | From Texas Crossroads | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
There is absolutely, positively, nothing "just" about lyme. Ever.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
And, that being said (I just had to say that!) . . . and that, IMO, both doctors and general population seem to think infections are simple. We've been bamboozled into that by the advent of the wonder drugs that did work so well on a few "simpler" infections.

your question about allergy is important. And, I think that the reaction from a tick bite can be a totally different experience for some people

individual genetics are important, too, in allergic reactions

and so much also depends up what that tick in carrying with it as to if infections are passed. And the strains of such infections also dictate the serious of infections.

Yet . . . immune function IS really important to look at. It's so very complex and so very individual. It's amazing how lyme can just dismantle and "flip" immune controls, too.

[ 03-31-2015, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=034910;p=0

Topic: Meat Allergy from tick bite - reference links

Immune specifics & testing detailed here.
-

gz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never a dull moment with any of this. I developed "allergies" after a bite. First to onions, then raspberries, then peanut butter. I suspected mold sensitivity after the berries. Now must be careful of susceptible foods, including coffee.
Posts: 474 | From US | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement