LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » lyme vs adrenals vs thyroid

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: lyme vs adrenals vs thyroid
Kaseyyy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kaseyyy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something that is bothering me is the differences between adrenal fatigue, cfs, and lyme. My results were positive for lyme, and i am really tired all of the time, but how can you know if it is from that, or the others?

It's also weird that you can feel symptoms even if you're thyroid isn't at the "level it wants" and i read anything above 2 could cause symptoms. My mom was majorly hypo. The first thing they wanted to check was my tsh before knowing i had lyme a year ago. First it was 2.22, then .7 a month after. I also then asked for free t3 and t4 because i know these can also be an indicator, but i have to look if i still have those.

Basically how can someone know if they feel really fatigued all the time from lyme, their thyroid, adrenal glands? And do things like kelp and thyroid support supplements really help it? (I read they do not, only if iodine deficient.)

Posts: 315 | From Allentown | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme can be the cause of adrenal fatigue and also can affect thyroid.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree with sixgoofykids. Since you know you have lyme, I would focus on getting that under control since the adrenal fatigue and the thyroid can both be caused from Lyme.

Get to the root of your problem and you can often resolve the other problems. Good luck.

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaseyyy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kaseyyy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even after its treated does it still come up positive on blood tests? and is it possible that although i was on medication for two months, it isn't gone? (doxy 100 twice and bactrim ds twice daily to ceftin 500 twice) i don't know if it helped, or not.

Why is it people are given that much doxy for only a few weeks and get fully better (even if it wasn't enough to treat) does 200 mg doxy only inhibit growth?

Thank you. I will be seeing a doctor in york.. But it intrests me because even when lyme is treated, what if people can't get better because of their adenal function?

Posts: 315 | From Allentown | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My adrenals got better when I got rid of Lyme. I did have to work on it, but they were then able to heal in the absence of infection.

Yes, it is very possible that 2 months of medication wasn't enough.

Typically, it's recommended that you take 400 mg doxy right after a bite.

--------------------

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaseyyy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43797

Also i was just curious. I have an adrenal supplement that has glandular extact. Will that help the adrenal glands, or is it not safe to take? I read some things that say taking thyroid or adrenal supplements don't work; for example kelp for the thyroid. Or does it?
Kaseyyy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43797

Yes my doctor told me i didn't need to up it to 400, because of the second antibiotic... But i read that bactrim doesn't KILL borrelia. So that is why i was iffy of being treated under him
Kaseyyy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43797

One more thing: i was going to order kelp for thyroid function.. But i am reading things that say to NOT take kelp unless you are in fact iodine deficient. Yet people say it is great to improve and lower your thyroid levels.. What is the right info and is it possible to fix slightly elevated levels
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

I take an iodide supplement. Kelp didn't help me much, but iodide helped me wean off thyroid meds.

--------------------

LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my adrenals were almost at 0 function when I found out. and that was from an alternative dr . my former drs all did the normal bloodwork that never showed anything.

I used to get tired just walking to the lamp to turn it on , just taking a couple steps was impossible on some days.

now I can do much more.

it is all lyme or other tick disease related for me. all this craziness made my body wacked out.

I am on ADRENOGEN by Metagenics. it is really helping

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valeriedc
Member # 24950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valeriedc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting question. I started some adrenal supplements and have experienced more energy. Have been on Zhang herbs for 6 months which is making a huge difference. Will be seeing a hormonal doc after having had tests, and will share if there's anything helpful.
Posts: 72 | From washington dc | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
valeriedc, what is a "hormonal dr"? I am having lots of issues and I think it would be good to see someone expert in hormones, but how do I find that?

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme causes problems with adrenals, thyroid, chronic fatigue. There are articles about how a lot of people with CFS actually have Lyme.

So, you treat the Lyme and clean up the rest at the same time - adrenal recovery program, thyroid meds, supplements for fatigue, good diet, exercise when you can do a little, etc.

My doctor said that it's not possible to know if I'll have to be on thyroid meds after I get past the Lyme. He said some people continue to need it, and others don't.

I do think it's possible to get past the need for adrenals, at least it was in my case.

Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So hard to tell what is doing what for you. Lyme knocks the adrenals and everything else out of whack.

I have lyme and many co infections, but have managed to get my adrenals in check. Muscle testing has been a godsend for me as I know what my body needs, which supplement will work for me, and when to take it. You can learn how to do it from youtubes (easy).

Also, lyme doesn't go away that easily, blood test to confirm it or not. It is an incredibly stealth bacteria and can hide extremely well, even cyst form can hide for at least a decade or more. So a few months or even a few years of abx are no guarantee it's gone, even with a blood test to verify.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erickco
Member # 45577

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erickco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LisaK: I think I am seeing the same doctor as you saw. The son did the biomeridian testing and the father did checkups and prescribed the live cell adrenal shots, etc. I was reading your posts from last year and I was feeling so hopeful hearing your progress. I am on my 4th kit now (strep)and next I start borrelia. I've done 12 weeks of adrenal shots also. I have not really felt any better yet. Still lots of headaches, dizziness and terrible joint pain. I saw another post of yours about taking vicodin. That leads me to believe you must still be in a lot of pain. Do you feel like the treatments didn't work? Starting to feel discouraged again.

--------------------
eco

Posts: 1 | From Eastern Pa | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valeriedc
Member # 24950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valeriedc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This doc works with women peri-menopausal, menopausal and post-menopausal.
Posts: 72 | From washington dc | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaseyyy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43797

I read you should only take iodide supplements like kelp if you're defintely deficient but i'm not sure. i'm trying to patch test of iodine but that isnt completely accurate either.

I just finished a bottle of adrenal supplements that contained glandular extract but i also read this might cause your adrenal glands to become "lazy" from the supplement? But i'll be trying out rhodeola rosea and dl phenylelanine.

onebratt08
Member # 43577

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onebratt08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Google "HPA Axis" (Hypothalamus-Pituitary-Adrenal). That will explain how the adrenals and thyroid tie together (basically, the adrenals are a major player in driving hormones, so if the adrenals are off, so are hormones like thyroid, estrogen, etc.) A chronic infection like Lyme can disrupt the HPA axis by infecting one or more areas on the axis. I think you have to attack everything at once with the right Lyme supplements and/or meds, lots of rest/no stress and proper diet.
Posts: 15 | From Columbus, Oh | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaseyyy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43797

When people could possibly be subclinical thyroid and are tired all the time, how can they know for sure if it is just that or lyme?

Another interesting thing. My first blood test a year ago in april, my tsh was 2.22. Then in may, .71 and in july, 2.14. Weird that it would change like that. The .71 i got at the ER.

Also my free t4 in july was 1.2 and free t3 was 3.3

I read optimal tsh is below 2, and that free t3 should be in the upper range. ?

LisaK
Member # 41384

Ericko- I sent you a PM

[Smile]

--------------------

LisaK
Member # 41384

Ericko, I didn't get the shots becasue I have no money.

I didn't even treat my adrenals until after I was done all my 9 kits. now I can tell the pills made a HUGE difference in my anergy and stamina and all that fun stuff. it is like night and day in what I can do.

I am on a cleanse now and it has helped even more. i lowered my dose of adrenal meds and I get them rechecked tomorrow. we shall see.....

--------------------

daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well... i didn't read all the stuff here..but i have to say the following:

If you search my posts here.. then you see that i postet about 4 years ago the last time. When i was diagnosed by a lyme doc (in germany, because i live here), my test results were not 100% positive.. the LTT was negative.. the Immunoblot or Westernblot was only positive on OspC and the ELISA antibody test showed only IgG antibodies which were not really high. After that my antibiotic protocols started... 3-4 years i took antibiotics...
First for Borrelia and Bartonella.. then for Bartonella specificly.. then for babesia.. NOTHING WORKED. None of the stuff.. i still struggled after 3 years of antibiotics.
In the beginning, before i was diagnosed.. i was checked by 2 endocinologists.. everything was fine.. but none of them ultrasounded my thyroid.. that was done 2 years ago now and the nuclear doc said that my throid is inflammed.. so well i thougt ok.. 2-3 months before this diagnose i went off all antibiotics because i did not beleve anymore in this "chronic or post lyme" thing.. and startet to focus on thyroid and adrenals.
My adrenals were fine, checked several times with cortisol in serum and 2 times with saliva tests.. i made some stress tests too on dopamine etc. My adrenals were ok, so i took focus on thyroid.. and analysed all my labs i did in 3-4 years.. there were about 20 labs for thyroid only.. the diagram showed, that over the 3-4 years my ft3 and ft4 fell... a little bit from time to time. Long story short... since im taking Erfa (NDT).. (but will switch to thyroxine and cytomel), my symptoms are SO SO SO SO much better... i have to find my right dose still, but the difference between 2 years ago and now is like night and day.
So.. think about it.. many many symptoms of lyme are overlapping with other diseases.. like hashimotos.. diabetes.. adrenal fatigue etc... and yeah you maybe say "ok but lyme is the reason why your thyroid is not function well"... but what if the thyroid is the reason.. and your immunsystem is disabled because of your thyroid and cant fight the borrelia good? There are many views on that.. for me, borrelia was the wrong way.. and especially the years of antibiotics.

best regards from germany and sry for the errors i made in my text [Smile]

Posts: 371 | From velocity of light | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement