LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Babesia testing if bitten in Texas/southern states

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Babesia testing if bitten in Texas/southern states
susank
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Duncani or Microti?

Asking for a friend - ready to send in test kit.

Am also wondering about myself - I think I was tested for Microti. Igenex negative.

Should I have tested for Duncani?

It's been so long ago............

Thanks.

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
IGM 18,28,41,66 IND: 23-25,34,39
IGG 41,58 IND: 39
Bart H IGG 40

Posts: 1613 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say yes, test for both. Duncani all over the U.S. now. There are still other species for which no tests exist. Duncani does not cross react on microti tests, don't know about others. My duncani was first found in a blood smear after a negative microti test, then confirmed with an antibody test (guessing that's what it was.)
Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Poppy - test for both species regardless of where you live. Per verbal conversation with a well known babs expert - the two species do not cross react on either antibody or PCR tests.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tested negative for babesia but clearly had the symptoms and responded to the treatment of it. I'm not sure testing is going to be definitive even if she tests for both. Just keep in mind symptoms.

I never had trouble getting babesia meds approved by insurance even with being clinically diagnosed, only the Lyme meds and I had a positive Western Blot. I could never take a Lyme med that needed prior approval.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymenotlite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymenotlite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a lengthy thing on babesia He doesn't mention Texas but he does mention Florida and he says which lab he uses.

http://www.wildcondor.com/dr-horowitz-on-babesiosis.html

So there--there are several things you need to know about the diagnosis which is the Giemsa stain is very difficult unless you’re very, very ill. Babesia, there are several strains, so here in the Hudson Valley most doctors might check for one called Babesia Microti. That’s the most common one that doctors usually look for. So you can do that by titer; it’s called an IFA, immuno-fluorescent antibody. But there’s another strain of Babesia called Babesia WA1 Duncani, which won't test positive by Babesia Microti testing. So you could still have the malarial symptoms; you say oh, I looked for Babesia and I didn’t find it, but it’s because in fact you’ve got this other strain of Babesia. And we did testing through Lab Corp; it was about a year and a half ago and I presented this at one of the International Lyme Conferences. Nineteen-percent of all the blood tests that I sent out for patients and that includes Poughkeepsie, Wappingers Falls, all the way down from Winter Park, Florida to Hamlin, Maine, the entire northeast seaboard, I’ve been getting Babesia WA1 Duncani in 19-percent just doing a regular blood test for Babesia WA1 Duncani. Most of the doctors do not test for this strain of Babesia.

And then for Babesia, you use a panel approach, a Giemsa stain, a Babesia immune-fluorescent assay, IFA for Babesia Microti, an IFA for Babesia Duncani, WA1, a PCR looking for the DNA, polymerase chain reaction, a FISH testing. There’s five Babesia tests. And you also check for Ehrlichiosis, Anaplasma, Bartonella Henselae, Mycoplasma, Rocky Mountain, Q-Fever; in other words you do a whole panel of tick-borne testing because if any one of those tick-borne tests comes back positive and a patient is not well, the likelihood of them having other tick-borne diseases is quite high.

Posts: 705 | From WA state | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hammer
Member # 17201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hammer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter and I test positive for WA-1 duncani. We were tested by Dr. H. We are from Alabama. Many here are affected by babesia.
Posts: 69 | From Birmingham, AL 35242 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement