LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Bio Mat Good for us or bad

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bio Mat Good for us or bad
cfm11205
Member # 45429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cfm11205     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend with Lyme was recently told not to use the bio mat b/c lyme patients are not suppose to get too hot or sweat.

My nauturopathic doctor has me lay on one for 30 mins every time I come to see her. She does NOT charge extra for this.

In your opinion, is the bio mat a good tool or bad for people with lyme?

Posts: 26 | From Houston | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's good. It great for tight muscles and an achey body and it helps eliminate toxins by sweating. It's not going to cure you but it's a useful and soothing thing to have and will help with detox if you rest on it long enough for you to sweat.
Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cfm11205
Member # 45429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cfm11205     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it bad for Lyme patients to sweat or get too hot?
Posts: 26 | From Houston | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No sweating helps you eliminate toxins and the bio mat emits infaraed rays.
Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
It's all about context and definition here.

Sweating is good, but that need not be forced by too high heat.

[Editing in for clarity: In general, not about the bio mat]

Yes, Getting too hot can be bad . . . but there's a wide range between a good warmth and getting so hot that you feel ill.

Heat often affects those with lyme in harsh ways. Gauge your exposure to heat so that you do not feel ill or weak - or suffer "payback" from it.

This is one reason why low heat infrared saunas are safer for those with lyme and not so much the regular kind of saunas that get very hot.

Same with hot baths. Best to go for cozy warm. And a cozy warm will increase circulation and sweating just fine.

There are a very few with lyme who seem to do okay with heat. But that's very rare and never - ever - something to try to achieve if it is just not your cup of tea.

If you do okay with heat, great (still be careful). Otherwise, don't push it. Find your comfort zone and honor that.
-

[ 04-23-2015, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

You can easily control how much heat exposure you want with a bio mat. It's not an enclosed space and it has a temperature dial.
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Indeed, glad Abxnomore mentioned that aspect of the bio mat. My "heat" note was just in general.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heat and sweating is good for us, as long as we can handle it. You get to control the temperature. Many of us heat up until we sweat, which is one way of expelling toxins, ie through the skin.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theresa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 421

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Theresa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a biomat everyday. I bought it because I was taken off meds due to liver. I was using it sporadically for about 5 years. It's hard to get to the facility frequently so I lurched it.

It is an fda approved medical device, N.A.S.A. sends it up in space I am told. It enhances immune system, kills certain bacteria, simulates a fever. I feel it is helping me. I also can't be buying a sauna and I use it on high , cover myself with blankets and sweat as if I used a sauna.

I'm not a scientist but it works with ions, far infra red , amythst crystals. God bless...theresa

Posts: 479 | From nj | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cfm11205
Member # 45429

thank you for the information!
Judie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why I don't do well in heat:

heat, leads to--->
sweat, leads to--->
moisture, leads to--->
candida/fungal infections

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Heat can also really tax our adrenals, and the heart . . . and the liver. Just for starters. Best to back away at the very first inkling of felling unwell / too warm.

This is where - especially in summer - it's best to take a page from the "MS book" so to speak and take precautions to prevent getting overheated. MS is very often caused by lyme &/or other chronic stealth infections.

Characteristically, many with the diagnosis of MS are devastated by heat exposure, some even by just a degree or two.

The myelin sheath around the nerves is often compromised and can't offer the same king of insulation and other factors as well. Nerves are very tender for those with lyme / demyelination issues.

But the overall next-day payback can become more than we might expect, too.

Sweating can be done in lower temps, we just don't notice it quite as much but it's quite possible to get some sweat going and not pass out from heat that may be fine for most but just not for us. Those who fit into this category likely already know it.

Those who can take more heat, just still be mindful and don't go running to the equator in one day. Heat tolerance for me changed overnight - likely for all the systems mentioned above but also

it feels like my brain thermometer / body temp control room is just so off kilter. I've heard / read LL authors better describe this but can't think of the term.

My body cannot give me advance warning (or maybe more precise to say it does but it seems like I SHOULD be able to take more so used to not listen in time to SUBTLE CUES)

and once I get overheated, it's a very real medical crisis.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
All that in general, thinking more about the coming summer months for those new to how heat may affect them.

Not about the bio mat question as that is not enclosed and there is control - over heating can be well avoided. Even infrared saunas -- because they are designed to be LOW HEAT can be very good for some with lyme.
-

Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't handle the biomat due to the negative ions (hurts my head--heavy metals). I think the best thing to do is to try it at a health fair, or if you know someone who has one.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judie, I think it's not the heat exactly that leads to fungal and candida infections.

My candida just comes in winter, in the last 30 years. In summer, it goes away. The same pattern repeats for me in the last 30 years.

In winter, my immune system is weaker, bad circulation of blood, that is how I feel, in my case.

Sweat does not affect candida, in my case. I get skin infections exactly where there is barely any sweat (but the skin is in direct contact with cold).

What does affect candida is:
- excess of heavy metals
- excess of herxes (toxins)
- excess of parallel infections
- lyme (everyone literally will suffer from candida, if lyme is active or was active once)

The biomat is infrared, it will put heavy metals and toxins on the move, and that alone, can activate candida.

Dr. K. says candida just hides from your immune system in heavy metals. take the heavy metals away, candida loses its hiding place and get exposed to our immune system.

That is how they reactivate, they try to fight your immune system, that just realized it had to fight candida, now that it can 'see' it.

Every time I took a GOOD chelator, I know it worked just by looking at how candida starts thriving in my body. The better the chelator, the more I get activated candida. I treat it, take binders, it goes dormant.

We could simply avoid infrared, avoid chelators, but in the end, if the body gets more and more loaded with toxins /heavy metals, other infections get happy, as well as candida.

there will be more and more place for hiding from our immune systems, which mean, long term, tragedy.

Not taking away these toxins mean, long term, chronic infections for life. Cancer and candida walk hand in hand: both are caused by immunosuppression, right?

Taking heavy metals off (chelators, biomat, infrared sauna, sweating, KPU, whatever you find that fits), will cause nasty symptoms (like herxes, activation of candida and other infections), but at least, you can aim long term for a better immune system, a cleaner body without chronic infections.

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too have used a biomat since I went to physical therapy for 9 months since being unable to walk and being bedbound for so long left me with muscle atrophy.

They would do all the exercises that were on my back on this biomat. I personally didn't find that it helped OR hurt.

For some, I know that they swear by it, some say it causes them trouble and I think that in the end, no two people are responding the same to ANY form or treatment, so you have to try these things for yourself.

As far as not wanting to get hot if you have lyme, my doctor always recommended FIR saunas and although it doesn't get it you as hot as regular saunas, you do still get very warm and can sweat.

Sweating is great for releasing the toxins, but as I said, no two people are the same and it's sadly a lot of experimenting to see what does and doesn't work best with our bodies.

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement