LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Memory Loss - 26 yr old female

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Memory Loss - 26 yr old female
pepper8
Member # 13660

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pepper8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,

I'm 26 years old. I got Lyme in August of 2007. I was on antibiotics for 2-3 years and then opted for natural alternatives. It comes and goes, but for a while I had been doing great, working out a lot, running, etc.

I relapsed in February and I've been on an herbal regimen since then consisting of:
-cat's claw
-resveratrol
-andrographis
-fish oil
-vitamin B-12
-gingko
-bacopa

But my memory loss has become troubling. I forget to shut off the oven. I forget to take my contacts off. Last night I didn't shut off the stove burner and then put a pot holder on it. I forgot my social security number, which I've had memorized since I was in high school. I mix up my bank account number. I forget where I parked.

Are there any natural solutions you know of that can help the memory issues?

Posts: 55 | From Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
pepper,

First: this is not about helping memory as much as going back to fully address lyme, however that is done. Just want to be sure that's up front.

Memory helpers are not likely to address the cause, which is likely lyme (as seen in so many other cases similar to yours - but also to fully assess other possible causes).

Next: if you are taking AMBIEN, by chance, that could be causing these issues. Some other sleep Rx, too, but ambien is classic for the memory lapses.

I don't know what to say - so many thoughts & suggestions come to mind and I'll try to post those later.

Just now, though, know that this CAN get better.

For the time being, do you have some trusted friends / family around who can "shadow" you for safety but also are fully accepting and non-judgmental, also lyme literate?

Have you adopted any list or memory tricks yet?

If you made lists, could you remember to check them at certain times? Can you handle the sound of an alarm clock as a reminder to check a list?

I was in my early 30's when this memory stuff started for me. I had not even yet heard of lyme.

From my experience with this, I suggest not driving for while. After forgetting where I parked (or even after finding my car, or the police finding my car for me, I often could not even remember how I got on the street where my car was found a couple times).

But, there was a time when - during driving - I actually forgot HOW to drive such as how to move the stick shift (would have been easier with an automatic transmission) but still, sometimes, I'd forget HOW to even brake or what the color of the stop / go lights MEANT.

I ran red lights more than a couple times (even when I knew what red meant) just because I could remember how to stop the car. Luckily, no one was in the way but it was dangerous in the middle of it all -- I always felt getting into the car that I was fine but it was during the driving when it became clear I was not safe to continue.

Can you stop driving for a while? Even if you can't, really, it's important that you just don't drive. Your life and others' lives are on the line here.

And it's temporary. For now.

Know that this CAN get better though. As to how that will happen, I'm out of steam right now. Safety first, right now.

Do you have a LLMD? Even if you are doing other methods, I think you really must have a LLMD to assess more fully what all is going on and if there are other variables as well

(although, lyme can actually do all this, there could be other things that a LLMD would be best to sort out).

Is there any way you could afford a rife machine?

I'm not sure herbals are going to be enough to kick lyme without stronger direct action.

You say you did antibiotics for a few years but was that with a full ILADS educated LLMD? A full complex protocol that covered ALL the bases with a variety of Rx?
-

[ 05-05-2015, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
-andrographis

has sedative properties. that can make you more sleepy and, therefore, not work too well to keep your brain awake. At least, for me, that's how it goes.

Still, of all on your list that is the only one that has much action against lyme. I took the top dose of that, 16 pills a day for a full 14 months and I am still very ill. It helps but not enough.

The other things on your list are more support than direct action against lyme. More later, though.

A LL ND would be best in addition to exploring a rife machine.

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Your stove / oven. Is it gas or electric?

Do you have a crock pot with a timer switch?

A rice cooker may also be of help as they usually have automatic shut off when rice / veggie steaming is done.

Toaster oven with a timer switch?
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I find BERBERINE better to help me be awake than andrographis. They have many similar properties, otherwise, though Berberine is not sedative in nature as is andrographis, nor is it too stimulating (a plus as it's best to avoid anything too stimulating).

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=121034;p=0

BERBERINE – LINKS SET
-

terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because of something that showed up in my 23andme analysis, my LLMD put me on Lipophos Forte.

Look up phosphatidylcholine and brain/memory.

I have yet to see any improvement. I have been on it for a month.

Posts: 832 | From Somewhere | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See link below. Dr P who wrote the book is a very good neurologist who believes in nutrition. Has written several other really good books on brain health.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/05/06/business/brain-food/index.html

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Do you sleep with a cell phone or charger near you? If so, THAT can cause all kinds of brain / memory / cognitive issues. Same for having a computer in your bedroom, etc.

Best to stay as far away from such gadgets when we are not actually using them.

Even off, they can omit radiation / pulses that affect our brain & heart.

Best to avoid using a cell phone at all if you are having memory issues. Best to talk only on a land line phone -- if at all possible. This is really important.

I hope you are able to get some good sleep as that could be something that has a lot to do with this. Take care.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Did you recently get a cell phone tower in your neighborhood? Or a Smart Meter for the power company?

http://www.antennasearch.com/

Locate cell phone towers near you (but type in a business address close to you. Never type in your actual home address to such websites).

WHY I ask, the brain fog mentioned here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soIvrkfKg-I&feature=youtu.be

Federal Cell Tower Roll Out

With thanks to dogmom2 for having just posted this in another thread.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I just want to say that I know all this must be very unsettling. This can get better. Really. One step at a time. Be sure to take excellent care of yourself.

And, oh, that brings me to one more question:

Aspartame? Is there even a trace in Anything you eat / drink? If so, another "do not" - absolutely do not use. There are so many reasons why - and how this, alone, could be causing memory / cognitive issues.

When I had all that trouble loosing my car, repeatedly, etc. I did have undiagnosed lyme but I was also still then drinking diet soda to try to stay alert. Come to find out later that ASPARTAME is a potent neurotoxin.

Not worth it at all.

Take care.
-

MichaelTampa
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Resveratrol has that reputation, I see you are on it already.

I wonder if high dose alpha lipois acid might help. I have heard of one anecdotal report that for one person something like 1800mg, 3 times per day, helped with a situation such as that. It is a really high dose, so I might suggest energetic testing before doing that, to see if it is really a good idea for you. Just sharing the thought that comes to mind when I read your question.

Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lookup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lookup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This really helped me, PBGS+:

http://www.4life.com/us/products/detail.aspx?ShoppingGroupId=1&ShoppingSubGroupId=209

My dad used to send it to me. It started working within 8 hours.

Like Keebler said, "you can get better" and that is the good news!

Posts: 764 | From Northwest | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lookup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lookup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also could not do even 1 gram of sugar, or eat anything with chemicals/preservatives in it. Even sparkling water was poisonous to me. All fake scents were terrible for my memory.

Fresh green salad with multi-colored vegetables made a good breakfast. Saved me! Also eggs and steak.

Touching the earth helped. I would go lay on the ground for an hour or more. Classical music - beautiful Bach string quartets were very good for healing. Wagner, Mozart, Strauss - couldn't stand them.

I also figured out that the electric toothbrush I just bought and having had amalgams, at the time, is a deadly combo. So, is that mouth rinse for plaque. It really leaches mercury out and it goes right to the brain---in my experience.

Posts: 764 | From Northwest | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, all great points.

"I also could not do even 1 gram of sugar, or eat anything with chemicals/preservatives in it. Even sparkling water was poisonous to me. All fake scents were terrible for my memory."

I totally agree with the above.

I have neurolyme and am still infected.

But I especially find chemicals, sugar and scents bother me.

I also have (had?) high mycotoxins. Heavy metal issues. Other coinfections.

But if you are confident that your memory is not being caused by lyme or a coinfection, then I would suggest treating candida and/or getting tested for mycotoxins.

There are some excellent binders that one can take that bind to mycotoxins.

Take care

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought that the article below was interesting

http://www.nutritionexpress.com/article+index/authors/yousry+naguib+phd/showarticle.aspx?articleid=1629

Posts: 832 | From Somewhere | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement