LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » dapsone??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: dapsone??
frikfrak
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26844

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frikfrak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Son currently treating bart, was on rifampin/biaxin.

Doc just switched things up and added more abx;
now on rifampin/mino/plaquenil and added in dapsone.

Can't find much out about it...has anyone ever taken this?

thanks for any info
frikfrak

Posts: 158 | From NJ | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with dapsone.

•Rifampin because it may decrease dapsone's effectiveness

Here's some good info on (dapsone)

http://www.drugs.com/cdi/dapsone.html

Hope your son is doing ok....

Steve

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marypart
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marypart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frikfrak. I seem to remember that you tried treating parasites for awhile. Did it seem to help any of the neuro symptoms? My daughter has had some neuro stuff lately.

Has any of the Bart treatment helped?

--------------------
Son, 26, Dx Lyme 4/10, Babs 8/10
Had serious arthritis, all gone.
Currently on Valtrex
Daughter, 26,bullseye 7/11
arthritis in knees, cured and off all meds. .
Self:Lyme, bart, sxs gone, no longer treating.

Posts: 496 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
triathlongal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for triathlongal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. H. just put me on Dapsone w/ Biaxin and Doxy. New protocol he is using. Only added Dapsone 2 weeks ago and notice nothing yet.
Posts: 151 | From North East | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCarlhelp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JCarlhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe dapsone is for "persisters"
Posts: 366 | From Kalamazoo, Michigan | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
triathlongal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for triathlongal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JCarlhelp:
I believe dapsone is for "persisters"

Dr. H. added Dapsone because of my relapses. I can get to feeling close to 100% but cannot maintain. Hoping Dapsone might help....
Posts: 151 | From North East | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frikfrak
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26844

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frikfrak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Treating bart now because red streaks showed up on DS's right side...Dr. says definitely bart rash.

Read up on Dapsone and read about the blood test needed and got scared. Emailed doc and said wasn't comfortable giving him it so I'm not. At least not now.

Marypart: No, his pysch symptoms are still the same, no better, no worse. When we did a parasite protocol for 6 weeks he did get way better in the middle of it but only for a few days and then slide back. Tried different parasite meds trying to figure out which one helped but never got the same results.

Even did another parasite protocol months later but again, didn't get the same results.

triathlongal: are you treating bart?

What was strange is when we took DS off malarone for babesia a few months back even though his blood test still was very high (1:1024) his numbers came back normal (1:256).

Maybe thats why the bart came out...his bart blood test came back negative but we are still treating it.

Considering very seriously about taking him off all abx in a few months and just doing herbs for bart to give him a break.

We'll see.
frikfrak

Posts: 158 | From NJ | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNT
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 42349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by frikfrak:
What was strange is when we took DS off malarone for babesia a few months back even though his blood test still was very high (1:1024) his numbers came back normal (1:256).

Maybe thats why the bart came out...his bart blood test came back negative but we are still treating it.

I'm a little confused about what you are saying about the babesia blood tests. Are you saying that while on Malarone, his babesia titers came back high, but after stopping the Malarone, his babesia titers normalized?

I, too, would be inclined to think that Bart came more to the forefront during the babesia treatment. That's good you are treating it. Are you able to get a Fry smear to get an idea of the load of parasite versus BLO you are dealing with?

Posts: 1308 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frikfrak
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26844

Hi TNT:

We found babesia via blood test in 2012 (but had tested several times since 2010 with negative results)...treated with usual meds: mepron / zith / malarone....

after 2 years levels were still high 1:1024...kept on malarone with various other meds and protocols and just a few months ago decided to stop the malarone (doc thought enough already) even though blood test prior were still high.....

next blood test came back normal 1:256....go figure.

I'll ask about the Fry test, thanks

triathlongal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31684

No not treating Bart but think I should be. Treated for Lyme, Q-Fever, Babs and Tularemia.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement