LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Need a little help> Spider Bit with Pic's

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need a little help> Spider Bit with Pic's
steve1906
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Daughter-in-law went to the ER last night, it appears to be a spider bit. After doing some research I agree with them.

It’s a raised round circle with a hole in the middle and redness all around it – looks infected.

They cleaned it up and I think they drained it.

They gave Amoxicillin and told her to watch for any changes, and follow-up with her Doc.

Symptoms right now> Chills – Weakness – body achy. These seem to be common symptoms with spider bites.

I haven’t done much research on spiders so I’d appreciate any opinions.

Got these of the internet:

-

-

Thanks,
Steve

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Brown Recluse ?

Google: "necrotizing spider bite"

Ohhhh, poor Dear.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I would use an Allicin cream on it, topically to help guard against MSRA developing, etc. Necrotizing skin is more subcepticle (no idea how to spell that - every variation seems wrong and just too tired to look it up).
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, I agree with you about being a (Brown Recluse).

She’s from Boston, MA, and hasn't been traveling for months.

I've been reading things like this>

Brown recluse spiders are native to the Midwestern and Southeastern states. Documented populations of brown recluse spiders outside these areas are extremely rare.

In recent years controversy has arisen over the appearance of brown recluse spiders in California and Florida.

At this time most experts agree that the brown recluse is not endemic to these areas.

With increasing travel, individual spiders and spider bites can be found in areas where the spider is not endemic, and health care practitioners should consider this when treating suspected bites.

•Fewer than 10 individual spiders have ever been collected outside of these native states. Most false sightings are due to confusion with one of the 13 other species found in the same family.

•The most common non-brown recluse spiders are the desert recluse found in Texas, Arizona, and California, and the Arizona recluse

Steve

--------------------

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lookup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lookup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The wound fits the picture for the homeopathic

remedy Mercurius cor or Mercurius vivus. Potency

30c three times a day. Space out doses with

improvement.

My daughter had an infection just like that in

the big power outage of the northeast USA and we

were on our own to sort out this infection she

got that had quickly gone to cellulitis and a

crater of pus that was growing pretty rapidly and

deeply. First, homeopathic Belladonna 30c took

down the redness that had gone from her ankle to

her knee. Then, 30 minutes later I gave Mercurius

and it turned the case towards improvement

within hours. She felt better or a shift towards

improvement within 30 minutes of the Belladonna

and went to sleep (healing sleep- a good thing)

That is my experience. I am not a doctor and this

is for informational purposes only.

Posts: 764 | From Northwest | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
lookup,

great suggestions.

back to:

The audacity of some doctors / writers on this issue just irks me.

If something looks like the bite of a particular insect or spider I would sure hope no doctor I'd see would say "oh, we don't have those around here" because "never say never" and doctors should not be making assumptions or dismissing possibilities.

We've had this happen too often with ticks / lyme to fall for that ole song and dance.

And, even if it is not quite the same kind of bite, what can be learned from the appearance, the similarities, etc. that might help in this case? What WOULD cover all the bases?

Hope the Rx prescribed will cover all the bases. Still, allicin cream and the homeopathic suggestions are excellent to consider, too.

It's not just travel of people but transportation of goods that matters, too. Any critter can travel across the miles quite easily.

All it takes is for a spider to hide in a piece of clothing bought from eBay and shipped to a state that is "not endemic" -- but too few medical people would never think of that possibility.

Folks traveling through make stop-overs and some critter that just might happen to be hitchhiking with them may decide not to continue the ride with them and set up home in a new place.

Brown recluse spiders love to hide in clothing. I check the inside of all long sleeve shirt arms or coats before I put my hand into it. But I used to live in Southern Illinois where they are well at home. Used to see those "violin heads" in the bathtub first thing in the mornings, too.

I'm sure someone in either Oregon or California identified a Brown Recluse just last year. There is no such thing as any spider not being able to "be" in a particular place even if it's not their typical pattern.

Climate change also means that some critters that previously might not have preferred a certain state or region may enjoy it better now, too.

Anytime anything comes into my home, I'm sure to open it up near the door, not carry anything in until it's had the "once over" and I'm sure no hitchhikers got a free ride. I do order clothes from eBay and ETSY and have never had a problem. Still, it's possible.

In my hometown in S. Ill., I recall a live Tarantula being in a (Kroger?) store's box of bananas from the wholesale market in the mid-60's. Really. One of their daughters was in my class.
-

[ 05-15-2015, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
As to saying any creature or critter is just this or does just that. Just the other day we learned that what we thought we knew about "all" fish is wrong. Spiders likely also have things we have yet to learn.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/first-warm-blooded-fish-found/

First warm-blooded fish found
-

steve1906
Member # 16206

Thanks Guys, She has an appointment Tuesday with her Doctor.

Great info, I've leaned a lot about spiders today!!!!

Steve

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope it's not a brown recluse bite.. I'm sure you've seen the pictures of how that can turn out. Really scary stuff!!

I hope she will try every avenue so she can get well soon.

[group hug]

We have them really bad here in MO, but I've actually never seen one that I knew for SURE was a brown recluse.

We had a bunch of them in our choir closet at church!! (they sprayed for them) Believe me, we were shaking out those robes each Sunday!! HAHA!
Can you imagine the singing that would have taken place if one of us had been bitten during church? [Big Grin]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I workedfor a guy who travelled to dc and got bit there. on his foot. by the time he gotback it was bad. it was recluse spider. he ended up being hospitalized and lostpart of his foot.

they're nothing to mess with.

hope she'll be better soon.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brown recluses are in MA. I've seen them in our yard, basement, etc.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had some looked like that about 2 years ago and also with a rash that looked like shingles across my middle..... this was right before my neuro attack and lyme dx, so not sure what it was for me, but I remember thinking it coul dhave been brown recluse, but like you thought huh, 'cuase I live in PA and there supposedly aren't any here.

??

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bitbit99
Member # 43654

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bitbit99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I first got sick I had a bullseye rash just above my knee and three spider bites on my left hand.

The bites were not from a brown recluse spider cause I live in Toronto but....they for sure were not mosquito bites.

They were raised and itchy and I ripped at them for about 3 weeks and then they went away.

Those spider bites came back about every month for about 3 months.... same situation itch pain scratchy etc.

They just re appeared about every month for 3 months.

There was a bush outside my apt and spiders all over the place... it was the fall 2009.

Landlord sprayed and got rid of them. Sprayed apt and outside on that bush.... there was tons of them.

The bites re appearing freaks me out.

Posts: 66 | From Toronto Ontario | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andromeda
Member # 45866

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andromeda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by steve1906:
Thanks, I agree with you about being a (Brown Recluse).

She’s from Boston, MA, and hasn't been traveling for months.

My Lyme story began with a misdiagnosed spider bite. I was told it was a Brown Recluse Bite, even though at the time I was working in CT. This is a really common error by ER docs (I had gone to urgent care). Could your daughter in law be suffering a recluse bite? Its possible. Is it likely? No, its not very likely.

To be bitten by ANY kid of spider is rarer than people imagine. This is because, well, they don't feed on humans and avoid us. It is possible to scare a spider and get bitten, say if you reached into a nook it was hiding in or it was in your shoe, or you rolled over on top of it while sleeping (but it probably can't bite through your clothes)

Unless you SAW the spider that bite you, it is very likely not a bite. It is more likely: biting fleas, bedbugs, allergies, kissing bugs or other arthropods, or more commonly, a bacterial skin infection.

For me, it was lyme. The necrotic lesion in the center threw off the doc, but that was likely an allergic reaction to the bite itself, which may have gotten infected.

These two links go into a bit more how easy it is to misidentify a brown recluse:

http://spiders.ucr.edu/necrotic.html

http://escholarship.org/uc/item/6sj701ns

Brown Recluse spiders are NOT native to Massachusetts. It is theoretically possible that with air travel, one hitched a ride. But I do not think there are any known established populations anywhere in New England. Who knows, with climate change maybe they will extend their range.

It is sad, but really common for doctors to diagnose a spider bite with NO evidence. Sometimes, it can be a bacterial skin infection, most notably, MRSA. You can google it, and there are some pictures here:

http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/deadly-skin-infection-12-graphic-photos-that-could-save-your-life/

I never thought my bite could be lyme, even though it was a distinct bulls eye, because a doctor told me it wasn't AND my initial antibody test was negative. Ive heard this story so many times from people. They get some type of rash or bite, and are told well its not lyme because the test is negative.

Make sure your daughter in law in the very least gets a lyme test in 4-6 weeks when the chance to pick up a potential positive is more likely, if by chance, she got bitten by some type of tick.

Necrotic (dead tissue) ulcers can form in some tick bites. Specific tick species can also cause characteristic lesions such as bruising (purpura), urticaria, and ulceration.

--------------------
*​Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the earth he does to himself- Chief Seattle, 1854*
BullsEye 2005
Dx Lyme, Babesia, Bartonella, EBV

Posts: 41 | From New England | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some people, including Dr. K, and including myself,think that other biting insects and arthropods can carry Lyme and other pathogens. They have foud pathogens in othe insects or arthropods. Why would they be immune?

I've had a number of "spider bites", both as a child, and as adult. I doubt that that was what they were. Or at least there are a lot of other possibilities, esp ticks that we didn't see.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaibyrd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kaibyrd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was bit by what we thought were spiders in 1999. That's when it all began. No one thought to even test me for Lyme until 2 years ago. Please have your daughter in law get tested for Lyme.

--------------------
KB

Posts: 170 | From Northern VA | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaibyrd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kaibyrd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was bit by what we thought were spiders in 1999. That's when it all began. No one thought to even test me for Lyme until 2 years ago. Please have your daughter in law get tested for Lyme.

--------------------
KB

Posts: 170 | From Northern VA | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymieloo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymieloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andromeda, your story mirrors mine. In 1981 or '82, I had a bull's eye rash -- the middle was raised, flat on top...sort of a plateau about 2-2 1/2" across, and hot to the touch. In the center of that was what looked like a bite mark.

I went to the ER, where the doc dx a brown recluse bite. I live in WA and I don't think anyone had even heard of Lyme here then. The doc said that "supposedly" b. recluse doesn't live here, but she insisted they did.

Thing is, from what I've heard recluse bites cause some tissue death even with abx, and even though she gave me abx I threw them away after the first one, as it drugged me and I hated that feeling. I know, dumb, but what can I say, I was 19 and thought I knew best! lol

I remember not feeling so good for few days, but mostly I think it was because my whole leg, where the bite was, hurt like hell. I don't remember having health issues until the following year, when I started having bladder issues, and being very tired and sluggish, but I thought that was because by that time, I was pregnant.

But then again, I was only 20! Probably shouldn't have been that tired, that young. Then the next year, postpartum depression. And then....and then..... yeah, you know the rest, cause we've all been there.

Over the years the same bite/rash reappeared twice, last time being '04, I think. I don't know if I got bitten twice more or if the rash simply appeared 2 more times, as I've read it can do. I was finally dx'd last month.

--------------------
Bless the Lord, oh my soul. -- Psalm 103

Posts: 102 | From WA | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement