LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » severe die off-- help!!!-- charcoal?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: severe die off-- help!!!-- charcoal?
smokingsky
Member # 37863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smokingsky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am having profound mental issues since detoxing with lemon water which I believe is due to yeast die-off. I am having a hard time functioning.

The anxiety, doom, dread, twisted reality and OCD are profound. I never had any of this except anxiety before the anti-candida diet and lemon water detox.

This is unbearable.

I am stopping the lemon water.

Coffee enemas help a bit but I am wanting to try activated charcoal. Any ideas on dosage?

Posts: 71 | From La Quinta, CA | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could you have a citrus allergy?

The dosage of the charcoal should be on the bottle. Bentonite clay is also good.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shoeless joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shoeless joe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Smokinsky. I can relate,Ive been pushed to my limits this past month.Many a time I thought I was going to the psych ward,it really messes with you. The last two days out of desperation I have been really putting the binder-antioxidants in and its become more tolerable.

Ive done about 6 charcoal spread out through the day,A teaspoon of bentonite clay, a teaspoon of liquid glutathione once or twice, 5,ooomg of Vitamin C spread out through the day,a couple of fish oils. Ive also ordered chlorella.

Im so happy it has given me some relief to the tolerable level.Im curious what a week of this will bring. Also Ive been drinking pure water all day long.

I would make sure you're not taking anything anti fungal and detox heavy like Im trying till you get tolerable and then we can enter the antifugals in.

If you're not on an antidepressant 5 http can really help my mind relax ,I use 5htp from NOW,I take up to 600mg spread throughout the day,also Ltheanine is a God send 2-400 mg.

Make sure you're not constipated. I feel for you,been there for way to long. Ive only done this heavy detox two days but Im so grateful the relief,see what happens as I continue this. God bless

Breaking up the post for easier reading for many here.

[ 05-27-2015, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: Robin123 ]

Posts: 227 | From fairhaven ma | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take activated charcoal - I'd say, start very small to make sure you handle it. Given what you're saying here, I'd suggest that you always start small, so you don't get an overwhelming reaction.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smokingsky
Member # 37863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smokingsky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for responding.

SixGoofyKids: it is not a citrus allergy-- it is definitely die-off-- but thanks for the suggestion

Interestingly, I had started charcoal yesterday and am feeling a very definite relief as the day goes on.

Thanks Cat Girl and Robin for suggesting this before so I had some on hand.

Shoelessjoe: thanks for giving me the courage to post here.I am glad you are having some relief too.

Knowing someone else felt the same level of craziness is strangely comforting

I'm thinking of staying away from Bentonite and Chlorella only b/c I think they have anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. Am I correct?

I think I might follow your lead on the Vit C and glutathione.

Can you tell me what you mean by 5http. What is Ltheanine?

Thanks everyone, to have this and kidney stones at the same time and having no family has pushed me to the brink.

May we all be delivered from our suffering

Posts: 71 | From La Quinta, CA | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shoeless joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shoeless joe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeast and GI tract stuff can be brutal. Im tortured physically and mentally 24-7. Ive tried just about everything you can read on yeast and nothing has really improved me.

I can't get through any antifungals so here I am trying this mega binder detox thing. My system is as sensitive as can be but charcoal and clay and the stuff I mentioned doesn't bother me.

I don't think clay has anti fungal properties,not sure on chlorella,I haven't tried that yet. 5htp helps you body produce seratonin.

Your Gi tract makes most of your seratonin and if you go tract is all screwed up I guess that why we have so many psych symptoms. If you're not on an antidepressant 5htp can take the edge off and relax you a bit,its been a lifesaver for me and helps with sleep,

I will say it can sit a little crummy in your stomach but if you take it with some food its doable. L-theanine is an amino acid that also has a relaxing effect ,it doesn't bother my stomach at all. May I ask if you have had a history of antibiotics?

**edited for easier reading.. please put more space between complete sentences**

[ 05-27-2015, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

Posts: 227 | From fairhaven ma | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smokingsky
Member # 37863

Oh… yes mega doses of abx. Was on antibiotics 1998-2001 constantly.

Took probiotics and ate low carb diet but the damage was done anyway.

Is the 5htp a prescription medication?

It is almost unbelievable what the yeast can do. At this point it is WAY smarter than I am.

The first day I have gotten any relief is today and because of the charcoal. And also your post helped a lot.

This is so isolating and to know someone else understands is good medicine.

I am wishing you all the best in your journey too. Hopefully these binders will be the answer for us.

tulips
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tulips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your abx ended in 2001 and you now have anxiety and dread that sounds like you might have full blown Lyme. Maybe you need to start Herbal treatment for Lyme and coinfections.
Posts: 653 | From Northern Virginia | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Activated charcoal was the quickest way for me to get through a herx. I take two capsules.
Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shoeless joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45835

My girl always wonders if its still lyme with me but I definitely see a relationship with food and my GI tract and bowel movements and my symptoms. If I eat carbs for a few days I go off the deep end worse than I am. The carbs actually give me a little energy at first but then the crash comes, my mind starts really racing,nightmares get bad,more fatigue ,achey,congestion,numbness-tingling and the list goes on. The psych stuff bar far is the hardest to handle. Im still doing the heavy detox mostly with charcoal too. I have added in an antihistamine just out of desperation,Im trying anything now. I think I will try antihistamines and a lower histamine diet for a week or so. The 5htp is not prescription and will help with the mental stuff but like I said don't take if you are taking an antidepressant.Ive tried a lot of brands and I like NOW 5htp brand. The L theanine is wonderful stuff too to help us cope and sleep. Come on charcoal and detox. Hope,prayer and all good stuff.I know how scary it is
smokingsky
Member # 37863

The charcoal is working like a miracle. I cannot believe how much different I feel in 2 days. Almost normal again. And I was all but suicidal b/c the psych symptoms were unbearable.

Shoeless Joe, I am praying so hard for you that it will also work for you.

I added in the Vit-C and glutathione and it is helping too.

Please let us know how you are doing. We are here for you.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's great, smoking!! [Smile]

If that stops working, try Living Clay.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smokingsky
Member # 37863

Thanks, tutu. Is Living Clay the same as Bentonite?
shoeless joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45835

well that wonderful smoking sky,Im happy and jelous.
Took a claratin yesterday,won't be doing that again,felt horrible. I will push on with the charcoal and detox and hope.
Smokingsky would you mind giving me some kind of idea of the schedule and amount of charcoal you take.

smokingsky
Member # 37863

Hi Joe, what I do is take 6 activated charcoal upon awakening. In the beginning, it took 2 hours to feel relief. Now it takes 30-45 minutes and I feel a huge difference.

Then I space 6 more capsules throughout the day, depending on how I feel. If I feel ok, I don't take that many.

I use the coffee enemas to keep from the charcoal causing constipation.

To me this is a miracle. I want this so much for you too Joe and anyone who is suffering like this.

smokingsky
Member # 37863

Also the glutathione/Vit C seem to be boosting the effects.

The only other thing I changed is adding a powerful 5 billion probiotic. I am not sure of the role/advisability in all this but it seems to be helping.

smokingsky
Member # 37863

I take the supplements at night, as far as possible, like 5 or 6 hours from the last charcoal pill, so the supplements don't bind with the charcoal.
shoeless joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45835

Thank you,Im glad you are doing well,unfortunately I am not. I will keep pressing on though and maybe up my detox dose. Right now I do about 6 charcoal,plus the others I mentioned. I CANNOT get probiotics in me,herx severe after three days. I have bad reflux and its getting worse,Ibe been putting off antacid meds in fear of making yeast worse but Today I took the plunge and just took a zantac, see if I can calm this reflux down. Im thrilled for you,please keep me updated.I will push on,what else can ya do.
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smokingsky, so happy for you! It is amazing what binders can do.

Parasites release pee and poop 24/7 and that's what makes us sicker along with lyme and company. And this is their favorite time just before the full moon (reproducing). The binders catch it and take it out of the body. Sometimes binders are life changing for people.

Shoeless joe, maybe you would benefit from seeing a naturopath or functional medicine doc to rebuild your gut? I had horrible reflux before, so bad that I had to sleep in a chair upright. I can't remember everything I took but below are the major things that helped fix it for me.

Zinc and melatonin (taken apart) are big players to repair the gut (reflux), and melatonin also beneficial for the immune system (these really help). Also mastic gum, DGL (deglycrrhizinated licorice), aloe water. Oh, and L glutamine for leaky gut.

I know you said you cannot tolerate probiotics. It is possible you have an imbalance of the right kinds of yeast. Have you tried florastor yet (s.boullardi)? It helped me.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by smokingsky:
Thanks, tutu. Is Living Clay the same as Bentonite?

-
It's supposed to be better. It's calcium based. Not sure what bentonite's base is. I forgot.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smokingsky
Member # 37863

I take the supplements at night, as far as possible, like 5 or 6 hours from the last charcoal pill, so the supplements don't bind with the charcoal.
smokingsky
Member # 37863

I used to have reflux so bad that at night the food/acid would come back up and I would aspirate it into my lungs. It was horrible.

It's a lot better since I've been doing the no sugar/gluten/dairy diet. Joe, what kind of diet are you on?

Are you thinking the coffee enemas aren't worth trying? I know you've tried a bunch of enemas but these are different.

I'm cheering you on from out here in Cali. I don't want just me to get better, I want you and everyone suffering this to find the key(s) for them.

Keep posting and hopefully that person will come along to make just the right suggestion.

shoeless joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45835

Well the zantac is out,made me feel horrible too,who knows maybe it lowered already low stomach acid.
Thanks cat girl,I do see a great natropath and do all of the supplements you have mentioned. I need to get this reflux under control and NEED to be able to get through herxhiemers. Keep detoxing and see what that brings.
Thanks smoking sky,I think this post has given us and probably others good information,lymnet is a good place.
So forget the antihistamines and antacids for me,can't handle them right now. Now Im going to try just hard boiled eggs,baked chicken and vegys and just water for a while with the detox . Keeep me updated please and God bless us all.

shoeless joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45835

ooops,forgot about the coffee enemas. Ive never tried them ,I will read on it and consider them.
kidsgotlyme
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We get relief from adding Alka Selzter Gold with the glutithione. You can order it from Amazon.

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smokingsky
Member # 37863

Well, I guess it was too good to be true. I had a couple of good days, as I said, sometimes feeling close to normal, now it is starting again.

Aggg, I'm disappointed for myself and all of us.

Kidsgotlyme, did you have mental symptoms, if so what were they? What does Alka Selzter Gold do?

I know glutathione is for detoxing, but what does the Alka Seltzer do?

Yes, God please bless all of us.

smokingsky
Member # 37863

One of my issues is even with the coffee enemas I am still constipated. Has anyone tried psyllium husks to reduce constipation?
shoeless joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45835

Ive fought constipation for years. I think it has a lot to do with our mental symptoms. Magnesium will clear you out the best but Ive also used high dose vitamin C to bowel tolerance and also taking a tablespoon or two of olive oil. The low carbs diets don't help. Hopefully better days ahead.
smokingsky
Member # 37863

Vitamin C does work but I can't take too much right now because on top of everything else I have kidney stones and Vit-C can cause some types of stones.

When you say magnesium, what kind/dosage do you mean?

Thanks, Joe, I am hoping for better days ahead for both of us.

kidsgotlyme
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I honestly don't know what exactly the Alka Selzter does...maybe alkalizes the body? All I know is that my DD and I both feel much better after taking this combowhen we are feeling bad.

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smokingsky
Member # 37863

Ok kidgotlyme, well it is certainly worth a try-- thank you.
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Alka Seltzer Gold is part of Dr. H's detox recommendations. Here are some notes about it from the last few years:

Herxheimer reaction (from 2010 Lyme Conference, Dr. H):

Take-home message: DETOXIFY YOUR LYME PATIENTS!

It does NOT matter what antibiotic you give people, they will NOT get better without detoxification

For Herxheimer reactions: 2 Alka-Selzer Gold (no aluminum) in 8 ounces of water with lemon or lime followed by 6-8 capsules of glutathione or 1500 mg of oral liposomal glutathione.

70% will feel better in hours

On the topic of water: Dilution is the solution to pollution. This suggests that in order to help our bodies detoxify, we must drink more water

AND:

From Dr. H. patient, Sept, 2013:

Flare protocol in a nutshell:

Try 1st:
--Burbur, 10 drops every 10 minutes for 2-3 hours for 10 days until flare resolves
--Parsley (same as burbur)
--Lemon/lime in H2O sipped through straw 4x/day
--Alkaseltzer gold OTC or sodium bicarb 4x/day

If above doesn't help, add:

Oral glutathione (Essential Pro) 6-8 caps at once, repeat as needed, up to 3x/day

If no help w/above steps, try:
--Pekana drainage 15 drops of each bottle 3x/day
--Sydetox 15 drops 2x/day
--LDN, as prescribed at bedtime

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smokingsky
Member # 37863

Ok kidgotlyme, well it is certainly worth a try-- thank you.
smokingsky
Member # 37863

Thank you, TF, this is great information.

Is Alka-Seltzer Gold found in regular stores or do you have to order it thru Amazon?

Shoeless Joe, have you ever tried this?

shoeless joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45835

Ive been tempted to try alka seltzer,heck I want to try anything when things get bad,
I think I never tried that because alkaselzer makes your intestines alkaline which would promote yeast.Probabaly great for a lyme herx but not sure for a yeast problem. I could be totally wrong here and someone please correct me if I am but thats what comes to the top of my head.
By the way,you have no idea how much charcoal has come out of me with the magnesium.Im glad I did that,I obviously was back up.Lets see what comes of the charcoal and now the emptying.

CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smokingsky, do you even have Lyme or coinfections? Curious.
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Smokingsky, do you even have Lyme or coinfections? Curious.
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not all drug stores carry the Alka Seltzer Gold, but I was able to find one locally that did.
Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smokingsky
Member # 37863

CD57, I was dx'd with Lyme, babesia and ehrlichia in 1998, probably got the bite around 1982.

Was treated for 5 years with oral abx.

Right now it feels like yeast/parasite/heavy metal die-off. It is always possible I still have Lyme.

But this herx feels a lot different than the Lyme herxes I experienced.

I will be seeing a new LLMD later in June. I'm hoping she will tell me if I still have Lyme.

smokingsky
Member # 37863

Shoeless Joe, I took the magnesium yesterday. I never thought I would be so happy to see charcoal toxic sludge!!

So once again we are in the same disgusting boat.

Not only did the magnesium work for the constipation, I feel better with it. I think I was really deficient in magnesium.

I am hoping it is something else that will help us.

shoeless joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45835

I did the mag citrate bottle and passed charcoal for 24 hours,about 10 BMs. Im not doing well at all.
robbiem
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shoeless Joe,

Have you considered stopping the 5htp? It can have the opposite effect---it can cause extreme anxiety and insomnia. You might benefit googling it to confirm.

I only am aware of this because it happened first hand to me. I thought I was going off the deep end. Once I stopped things settled down in a matter of days.

Posts: 192 | From New England | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shoeless joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45835

robbiem,thank you

I only take them as needed when the pschy stuff is to much or when I can't sleep,pretty much an as need basis.

I agree though one day I took a few and felt better so I took a few more and felt even better.I then took a couple more and my mind went into overdrive scary.
The one thing Ive found from taking this stuff for years is you can only feel it for about 4 hours.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement