LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Nuzzling with your cat? Bartonella caution

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nuzzling with your cat? Bartonella caution
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/woman-goes-blind-in-one-eye-after-getting-licked-by-cat/

Woman Goes Blind in One Eye After Getting Licked by Cat - Cat Scratch Fever

- by Bianca Seidman - CBS News - June 1, 2015

Video and article at above link. It's been on CBS' site for many days, I had hoped someone else would post it. But I can't let it go.

And I must say this infuriates me, the level of haphazard reporting. Yes, it's good to inform people of this risk but they gave it a puffy marshmallow approach.

There are MANY things someone can do, starting with getting the cat tested, and understanding the full range of issues that Bartonella can cause and the kinds of follow-up attention that may be required.

Dogs, too, can transmit pathogens with their kisses. It's hard to keep such cuddly pets away from the face but it's really important . . .

and they could have suggested to not share pillows with pets -- or put your face down on one they have used. That's pretty common, actually -- and nearly impossible to achieve for many. Still, important to educate everyone about this.

GOOD mention, though, the doctor who informs about having scratch or skin irritation that might be licked by a cat with this and how even that can transmit infection form pet to person.

Good to know.

But, especially for indoor cats, if you get them tested / assessed, then there can be some degree of peace of mind (as long as they stay tick-free).

They do not mention that ticks carry bartonella (and may not even use the real name). They just sort of suggest, oh, many cats just have this and you'll get lucky or you won't.

They could have taken the next bold step and ask if people might have this and not know it [as it's not just about vision but they don't say that, either].

But no one even considers asking such a question -- to which the answer would be, 'oh, indeed, quite possible'.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rbm
Member # 33660

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rbm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Keebler-
Would you send me a PM when you get a chance.
I'm a long time Lyme & Co. Patient and I need some advice re: dealing with my cat who I just found out has Bart.
Thank you.

Posts: 31 | From New jersey | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the best course of action would be to get your pets tested on a regular basis.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
I think the best course of action would be to get your pets tested on a regular basis.

I agree. And keep cats indoors.
Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Rbm,

Re: your note asking me for advice for your cat who has just been diagnosed with bartonella. Sorry, but I just don't have that kind of experience or expertise. When I spot good information I certainly do like to share it.

I'm really sorry to hear that your cat is going through this and, you as well, it must be very rough. Sadly, you will also need to be assessed for the same strain as your cat has, if it's one that humans can get (but then how to really know that?)

As others' suggest above, best for your cat to be assessed on a regular basis and keep him / her indoors. But, as I'm been homebound for so many years now and rarely have a friend who will take me for a country drive . . . if I knew I'd never be able to go out of doors again, I just would not be able to go on.

I wonder if a pet would feel that way, too. And, if possible to figure out how to get them some nature time while also diminishing risk to ticks & fleas.

And, of course, now be treated for this infection by a good vet. But, just as with lyme / TBD for people, it may be that not all vets will treat this as completely as needed.

See article below. I'd want to be sure the vet is as Bartonella "literate" as possible and not stuck in just the basics learned from a limited pool.

And, maybe by a cat trainer so that you can re-train your dear pet not to get too close & to re-learn other habits that may pose a risk to humans - or how you can mitigate any risk to yourself. I'm sure there are ways to lower risks.

[ 09-09-2015, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rbm
Member # 33660

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rbm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much for your reply. Our cats both have this and are indoor cats.
Bet is very knowledgeable and treats Bart aggressively but is concerned for my family.
We'll see...
I'll check out the article thanks again.

Posts: 31 | From New jersey | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christopher J
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christopher J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yah I wouldnt even worry about it. Hundreds of millions of people own cats. Theyre not all blind right? So yeah...
Posts: 173 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
No need to worry about anything as worry tends to immobilize yet educating ourselves so that we know when we can relax and when we must act, well, that does matter.

Such facts that can affect not just our health but also cause death when certain infections are not properly understood, considered and treated.

Bartonella can causes terrible pain and chronic suffering. It's not just that it could cause blindness, it can cause dozens of other chronic and acute complications.

With knowledge, we have a far better idea of when we need to act (not worry - as worry never does any good - but whether we need to move with particular action, starting with prevention).
-

[ 09-09-2015, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
This article has detail that is really important for everyone to know whether they have cats or not, whether they are ill or not, whether they know someone who is ill - or not. Because Bartonella is likely to affect all of us - or someone we know - sometime during our lives.

If we can prevent that, or lessen the effects by early awareness, all the better.

Actually, many of the diagnoses others we know may have received may have been wrong - or have bartonella (or other vector borne stealth infection) as the cause. And that makes this even more important for everyone.

KarlaL posted this excellent article.

http://www.townsendletter.com/July2015/bartonellosis0715.html

Unraveling the Mystery of Bartonellosis

by Scott Forsgren - Townsend Letter - July 2015
-

patty7
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for patty7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting this great article on Bartonella.
Posts: 194 | From Pa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement