LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Would you treat new bite?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Would you treat new bite?
desertwind
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello All;

I know this has been asked before but I am posing the question again...

If you found a new tick bite on you (tiny deer tick) would you treat ASAP or would you wait to see if you develop symptoms? I found a deer tick attached to my arm this morning.

I see both sides of the argument; don't want to risk getting sick but have been soaked in abx.'s for so long do not want to take them unless completely necessary.

I have a call into my LLMD so he will make the final decision, just curious what you all think! Thanks, DW

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jkmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would treat. I would rather deal with some more abx than risk more Lyme symptoms. My daughter was very ill for many years so I have a glaring example of how bad it can be right in front of me. I do not want to risk that.
Posts: 984 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your thoughts and so very sorry your daughter is very ill. I got sick in 2004 and only over the past 3 years have I gotten better with aggressive treatment.

I already started on Doxy...

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would probably take the meds even though abx wreck my gut unmercifully.

Don't forget to watch the diet, take probiotics and take doxy in the middle of a full meal (and don't lie down for 30-60 min. after taking it.)

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have evolved over time in how I handle a new tick bite.

Shortly after I was cured of lyme, each time my husband had an attached tick on him, I called his very understanding internist and got 2 weeks of doxy for the bite.

Husband never had lyme, never got any bulls eyes, never got sick.

He would get about 3 tick bites per year.

I have had about 2-3 attached ticks since I got rid of lyme 10 years ago. The first one was 2 weeks after finishing lyme treatment. I sent that tick to Igenex for testing. It was negative and I never got sick.

3 years later, I got a tick bite and never saw it, but I got a bulls eye rash on my arm 3 days after laying some weeds there for 1-2 minutes. I got to my old lyme doctor within a week of the bite, treated it for 30 days (including treatment for babs and bart also), and because I never got any other symptoms, I was finished in 30 days. (I had a very mild herx from the treatment.)

Now, 3 weeks ago, I found an attached tick. I have decided to wait and see what happens. So far, nothing has happened.

Also, a few days ago, my husband found an attached tick on his groin. I removed it. We are keeping these 2 ticks and waiting to see what happens.

So, the moral of the story is: Do what you need to do to handle it emotionally. I have seen myself calm down so much since all of this time has passed since I was sick with lyme.

Now, I am very content to watch and wait for signs of lyme. If course, if a bite ever causes a rash, I would be off to the lyme doctor ASAP.

Hope this helps you decide what YOU should do in this case.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
If I were to take an antibiotic, though I'd also be sure to have something that would absolutely prevent the spirochetes from going into cyst form as they do with just an antibiotic.

I'd put that anti-cyst measure (flagyl, tindamax, etc.) in place at least a little bit prior to any antibiotic.

I'd also be sure to have an anti-candida herb on board, first, too, just timed away from Rx. Probiotics are vital, of course, but may not be enough.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I would treat, it's better to do 21/30 days, than 21/30 years of pain...

Steve

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am glad that I don't have to face this dilemma,

since I live in non-endemic area, don't own a pet, do not ever hike/ take walks on anything but paved residential street/sidewalk,

and will never camp again. I don't post this to gloat, but as someone w/ real PTSD from unknown Lyme and tick borne infections

carrying for years doing me in, passed congenital to one of my children who just may be permanently affected despite all my money and efforts,

and the sheer hel! of going thru my own treatment.

I don't want to take antibiotics ever again, scares the day lights out of me that I'd wake the beasts.

I'd rather take strict precaution.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymenotlite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymenotlite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I'm wondering is whether it is certain or not that a bullseye rash or some kind of rash will occur at the site of a lyme tick bite. Does this usually happen, always happen, sometimes happen. Anyone know?

Spirochetes spreading out, apparently.

Posts: 705 | From WA state | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
lymenotlite,

You asked Q: Is it "certain or not that a bullseye rash or some kind of rash will occur at the site of a lyme tick bite." (end quote)

No. It is not certain that any kind of rash will appear. It may. It may not.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.lymediseaseassociation.org/index.php?option=com_phocagallery&view=category&id=11:rashes&Itemid=331

LDA rash detail

http://www.lymedisease.org/lyme101/lyme_disease/lyme_symptoms.html

Lyme Disease; Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, treatment, diagnosis and prevention of this tick-borne illness.

. . . rashes can mimic spider bite, ringworm, or cellulitis. Multiple, so-called “satellite” rashes may appear on different parts of the body. . . .

Judie posted this Feb. 2015:

Mine was a raised, round blob, not like a bullseye at all. This article may be helpful. It describes EM rashes.

http://campother.blogspot.com/2012/05/lets-not-be-rash-about-erythema-migrans.html

Let's Not Be Rash About Erythema Migrans - May 24, 2012

In comment section, see posts by: Pam Weintraub (author of "Cure Unknown") - May 26, 2012
-

desertwind
Member # 25256

Great to get the feedback. I am split 50/50 but have decided to just take the meds.

It was attached for up to 12 hours. Before I knew it was on me I was feeling a bit chill/sweaty this morning with a headache. I thought that was odd until I saw the deer tick.

LLMD thinks a new bite (even if it is not infected) can awaken dormant ketes so to take the meds. Recommended 4 weeks of Doxy w/ pulse of Tindamax. I'm forever on a candida diet and antifungals so got that covered.

Back in 2004 when I first got ill I never got a rash at the site of the bite but did get a disseminated rash all over my legs about 4 months later after not being treated. It was a large darkish like bruise. In 2012 when I treated aggressively the bruise rash on my legs appeared once again.

Andromeda
Member # 45866

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andromeda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by desertwind:
Hello All;

I know this has been asked before but I am posing the question again...

If you found a new tick bite on you (tiny deer tick) would you treat ASAP or would you wait to see if you develop symptoms? I found a deer tick attached to my arm this morning.

Did you save the tick? A family member of mine just pulled an engorged Deer tick off her leg, and we sent it in for testing.

In New England, you can send the tick to UMASS,

http://www.tickreport.com

They accept ticks from all over as well. But you could search your state's testing services as well.

--------------------
*​Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the earth he does to himself- Chief Seattle, 1854*
BullsEye 2005
Dx Lyme, Babesia, Bartonella, EBV

Posts: 41 | From New England | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hard to imagine anyone who has dealt with Lyme would be wondering if they should treat if they get another tick bite.

[Eek!]

If you were roller skating and fell, broke your leg and got a cast on it, then once it was healed you fell again and broke your leg, would you not put a cast on it?

Would you wait and see if your leg would become useless and deformed first? Would you not want a cast because it itched some the last time?

Most of those with Lyme disease who got well did so by following Dr. B's guidelines for treating Lyme. In the guidelines he gives specific treatment recommendations for treating a tick bite. He never says wait and see.

The IDSA/CDC on the other hand do say to just wait and see. Nobody likes them.

See the tick bite treatment recommendations here.

www.TreatTheBite.com

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My personal opinion... testing the tick is a waste of time and money and chances are you won't get a positive result if the ticks are carrying the diseases.

1. Tick testing misses the infections much of the time. You can not trust the tests when they say negative.

2. If the tick tests positive it does not mean the organisms were passed on to you.

3. The tick can only be tested for a few diseases. How many does it have that there is no tick test for, or how many potential diseases might the tick have that no one has discovered yet?

4. It is expensive to run all the known TBD tests on the tick. IGeneX costs for testing would be about $415.00.

5. Many people mistakenly wait for the tick test results to come back before deciding to treat. It can take 6 weeks to get results when the labs are busy. BIG mistake to wait, you are just allowing the organism(s) to disseminate, making them harder and more expensive to kill, IF you can.

6. Save your money that you'd spend on testing the tick and go directly to a doctor, get a prescription and hope that you are one of the lucky ones.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
triathlongal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31684

Icon 1 posted      Profile for triathlongal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tincup:
Hard to imagine anyone who has dealt with Lyme would be wondering if they should treat if they get another tick bite.

[Eek!]

If you were roller skating and fell, broke your leg and got a cast on it, then once it was healed you fell again and broke your leg, would you not put a cast on it?

Would you wait and see if your leg would become useless and deformed first? Would you not want a cast because it itched some the last time?

Most of those with Lyme disease who got well did so by following Dr. B's guidelines for treating Lyme. In the guidelines he gives specific treatment recommendations for treating a tick bite. He never says wait and see.

The IDSA/CDC on the other hand do say to just wait and see. Nobody likes them.

See the tick bite treatment recommendations here.

www.TreatTheBite.com

Then I should be on abx all year long - I live in NJ and do go outside. I understand what you are saying however. Dr. H. always recommends treatment and just curious what other people have done.

My last llmd believed in tick testing as a diagnostic criteria for treating. I was denied treatment because ticks would test negative yet I had symptoms. So much for her being an llmd. That was 10 yrs ago. Dr H. does not recommend testing ticks - not with me anyway.

Posts: 151 | From North East | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

"My last llmd believed in tick testing as a diagnostic criteria for treating. I was denied treatment because ticks would test negative yet I had symptoms. So much for her being an llmd."

That is crazy! Not even the CDC/IDSA would accept that as proof of a diagnosis if it were positive.

Me thinks that doctor should pay for the tick testing for each patient. That would probably stop her from costing sick patients even more money.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am glad you are taking the meds. That's absolutely what I would do.
Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement