LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Is Lyme the Next AIDS?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is Lyme the Next AIDS?
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent article about Dr. S's study, and other things you to know....

http://www.wholehealthinsider.com/newsletter/lyme-next-aids/

[ 06-12-2015, 12:47 AM: Message edited by: Tincup ]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bis
Member # 45774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh, this is scary. If this is true--I now put my husband's health at risk. How long till there are definite answers!
Posts: 78 | From Pa | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most lyme doctors say that sexual transmission can occur but it is rare.

Mine said that it is more often transmitted from male to female because there is a greater exchange of bodily fluids from male to female.

So, it all depends on how safe you want to be. Some couples use condoms to prevent transmission either way.

I had lyme for 10 years undiagnosed and I never transmitted it to my husband in all that time. As soon as I found out I had lyme and sexual transmission was possible, I had my lyme doctor test my husband through Igenex.

He was negative and he never had any symptoms of any kind. I have been well now for 10 years and still my husband has never gotten ill. So, I never gave it to him.

But, that could say more about his health than anything else. My husband seems to have a very strong immune system, so that may be why he never got it from me.

So, each couple has to decide for themselves. If you wonder when there will be an actual documented proof-positive case of sexual transmission, that may never happen or could be 20 years from now.

The lyme doc who cured me is treating my next-door neighbor and neighbor's wife. He has told my next-door neighbor that he (my neighbor) gave lyme to his wife. I never thought I would hear him say that to any patient in my lifetime. My doc is a well-known doctor who has written a lyme book.

10 years ago, another lyme doc that I recommended to folks used to tell couples that she didn't want to treat just one of them. She found that if she just treated one person in a couple, that person just kept relapsing.

Sure enough, by insisting on testing the wife, she got a wife as a patient in addition to the husband. Food for thought.

There are plenty of old threads about sexual transmission if you want to do a "search" on LymeNet. The subject comes up periodically.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bis
Member # 45774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok great thanks for this info--I am going to see a LLMD in a few weeks and this is definitely a topic I will bring up and will have my husband tested if need be!!
Posts: 78 | From Pa | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymieloo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymieloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While Lyme as an std would indeed be horrible, we might get some respect. That is, if Lyme patients became the media darlings. Sad that it would probably take a nightmare like that in order to not be treated like he'll.

--------------------
Bless the Lord, oh my soul. -- Psalm 103

Posts: 102 | From WA | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement