LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » muscle strength and stamina super shot

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: muscle strength and stamina super shot
stiffyoungman
Member # 40067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stiffyoungman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to bore you with details but I'm not currently seeing a very LLMD. I see some that are familiar with it but are not experts so I thought maybe to ask on here.

I've always been an athlete and very athletic/strong. On the abx I lost a lot of weight/muscle but I still felt strong and my muscle stamina seemed fine IMO.

I got VERY inactive for about 9-12 months after the abx and wasn't even playing sports let alone lifting weights.

Now my muscle strength and stamina is no exaggeration about 15-20% of what it was 1.5 years ago.

Its not only strength but stamina big time. For example simply brushing my teeth for 3 minutes actually tires out my arm. Or if I have to screw in a light bulb on the ceiling and im stretching out from a step ladder, my arm tires INSANELY fast.

I have been off Magnesium for a bit and I figured this was probably the main culprit. I started taking two Mag-tab tablets per Barascanno again and its been about 2 weeks. I think I see an improvement already but it could be placebo.

Any ideas?
Any supplement ideas?

Thx in advance!!

Posts: 52 | From USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you mentioned this to any of your docs?
What did they say about it.

I too have lost most of my muscle strength in my arms, and alot in my legs.
From what I read, this can be one of the symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fitnesskelly
Member # 45806

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fitnesskelly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure I can help you specifically regarding your problem - like the other poster said, talk to your doc about it.

I was a personal trainer before getting sick. VERY strong for a woman. I've been left pretty much unable to lift weights because of severe muscle/joint/tendon pain. I've gone from hard to kind of flabby without any changes in weight.

Being inactive for a year is going to zap your strength and your energy. Add to that, your body is probably relying on some of the muscle you had for energy.

Give yourself a break. When you get to lifting again, work within your boundaries. Make your focus to get healthy / stay healthy. Being upset, angry, stressed about it doesn't help...believe me, I know! And if you don't ever get back to where you were, be forgiving of your body. I know that I will never be as strong and lean as I once was and I'm coming to accept that.

Posts: 63 | From Columbus, OH | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stiffyoungman
Member # 40067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stiffyoungman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It happened once my Dr retired and I havent seen another LLMD.

It was always happening but on a very slow pace and I felt I was gaining strength semi fast when I would go to the gym.

One Dr thinks that the IV antibiotics killed a ton of good stuff including Vitamin K and that is why. BUt I took Vitamin K and I didnt notice a massive difference.

MS would be....... sad to say the least..
Nobody in my family has MS thats for sure. My dad is strong as heck for his age and his mom still is strong as **** for her age

Im planning to go see a new LLMD in about 2 months. Im just kinda stuck because theres only ONE person responding about doctors in SOuthern CA area... They have been very helpful but I Just dont like trusting one persons information. Maybe hes heard good things about a doctor but someone else has heard bad.

Every thread in the Dr sectin about south CA has only been answered by the same single person. I want more info.

Posts: 52 | From USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nomoremuscles
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nomoremuscles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the same thing happen.

I was very muscular and lean.

Gradually, over time, though my weight remained stable, my body composition shifted toward being fatter -- I lost muscle mass and gained fat mass.

Then I started losing weight.

For a while I was a good bit improved, and was able to get back to the gym. But my tolerance for training had changed. I was weaker and could not tolerate much volume and needed much more time off between workouts. I tried to go slow. I tried everything. Still, no matter what I did I could not gain back much strength or muscle mass. It seemed like there was something going on on a cellular level that prevented the adaptation. I have read about certain inflammatory cytokines causing this -- though, this is just a guess. It could have been caused by something else. I don't know.

Regardless, that ability to exercise was short lived. Soon I was back to being unable to exercise at all.

Now I am, as my name here would suggest, pretty well free of muscle...

Posts: 845 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stiffyoungman
Member # 40067

quote:
Originally posted by nomoremuscles:
I had the same thing happen.

I was very muscular and lean.

Gradually, over time, though my weight remained stable, my body composition shifted toward being fatter -- I lost muscle mass and gained fat mass.

Then I started losing weight.

For a while I was a good bit improved, and was able to get back to the gym. But my tolerance for training had changed. I was weaker and could not tolerate much volume and needed much more time off between workouts. I tried to go slow. I tried everything. Still, no matter what I did I could not gain back much strength or muscle mass. It seemed like there was something going on on a cellular level that prevented the adaptation. I have read about certain inflammatory cytokines causing this -- though, this is just a guess. It could have been caused by something else. I don't know.

Regardless, that ability to exercise was short lived. Soon I was back to being unable to exercise at all.

Now I am, as my name here would suggest, pretty well free of muscle...

Sorry to hear that man.

Are you still treating or are you free?

I have never at any point gained any significant fat, my abs went away a bit due to inactivity, but I would imagine that just playing sports and eating more and stuff would get that back. But definitely my gym presence like you say is just zapped.

And I find random things that require constant muscle flexing to be draining too quickly, holding toothbrush, etc etc

You never saw a LLMD who was able to help you with it?

nomoremuscles
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nomoremuscles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I had the same thing. For a few years, I could not hold up a book to read as my forearm would ache so deeply -- down to the bone, it seemed -- I would have to stop. I found ways of doing things that limited the exertion. When reading, for instance, I would lean the book on the bed or a table, etc. Even getting in and out of a chair, I had to find tricks to limit the exertion of my quads and triceps when lowering or raising myself. So everything you say resonates.

Yeah, when I first got sick my abs were very sharp, too. But over time as the body comp shifted they faded and my waist got softer and thicker. This was while I was still able to work out, which I was able to to in various capacities, for about the first 3-4 years.

I have been sick about 20 years now, give or take. I went to several top LLMDs and was on heavy-duty trx for many, many years. At first it helped. Then it started making me worse. If I were smart I would have stopped, but at the time I still thought this thing was beatable by abx. At this point I don't take any abx and haven't in a long time.

I hope you do better with it than I did. Many people do seem to recover. All I could possibly suggest is to go slowly with training and with the trx. And if your body tells you NO -- listen to it, regardless of what any LLMD may tell you.

Remember, when you are done with that LLMD you may have lost everything, strength, health, job, etc., but he still gets to keep the money.

Posts: 845 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stiffyoungman
Member # 40067

I honestly do believe that what im going through is abx induced. I had pains and inability to heal but I always kept my strength until the IV abx. I didnt even do that much. I think I did 2-3 months of oral and 2-3 months of IV

1 year after the abx now im really noticing these symptoms.

Im scared to take abx but we'll see what happens when I talk to a DR

tulips
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tulips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you look up the list of symptoms for Babesia as well as for Lyme and Bartonella on the Internet, there's a website called personalconsult.com and one of the symptoms of Babesia is "wasting muscles." There are some good books on herbal treatments for Lyme and Co-infections: A couple are: Healing Lyme by Stephen Buhner and Healing Lyme Disease Naturally by Wolf Storl. Some people say that after antibiotic treatment it's a good idea to treat with Herbs because although antibiotics do a great job, Many people relapse and it's a good idea to follow up with herbs.
Posts: 653 | From Northern Virginia | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement