LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Sinus infection since May 1

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sinus infection since May 1
tulips
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tulips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been wondering if people who have Lyme are prone to sinus infections?
Posts: 653 | From Northern Virginia | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably .. I know I am. Twice now I've had one for 7 months before finally having surgery on the maxillary sinus.

For me, I think it's more due to Sjogren's because the dryness sets me up for infection.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tulips
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tulips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since it's so hard to get rid of, I'm wondering if Sinusitis where the sinuses become clogged with mucus could be connected to the body having mycoplasma and biofilm.
Posts: 653 | From Northern Virginia | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
X-clear. With xylitol. Be absolutely sure you do not have mold problem. I dont have themanymore cuz of x clear

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely the biofilm.

Xlear is pretty good stuff... also try Sovereign Silver.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Avoiding all dairy really helps my sinuses. And if you take a probiotic, find a dairy-free one.

Ghee instead of butter (ghee is "filtered" to take out lactose particles)

there are many ways to get probiotics in foods beside yogurt, too. Miso, sauerkraut, brewers yeast, etc.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Seagate has a wonderful olive leaf extract nasal spray. It works very well for me if I have a flare. Summer humidity or stagnant air masses that bring increased particulate matter into our breathing spaces can also play havoc.

Taking the capsules also helps my sinuses within a half hour.

http://www.iherb.com/Seagate-Olive-Leaf-Nasal-Spray-1-fl-oz-30-ml/16766

Seagate Olive Leaf Extract nasal spray

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/115457?#000000

OLE Links - articles, links
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
saving this space for an article I stumbled upon last week or two about how OLE nasal spray was studied and shown to reduce viral stuff in nose.

But, no matter how I arrange my search (and learning that "sinus" takes me to heart articles but "nasal" get nowhere), I can't seem to find that now. I thought it was at PubMed. Later.
-

tulips
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44773

Thanks to you all. I'm using the Xylitol and I am better but I keep relapsing. Thanks Keebler for the information on Seagate.
tulips
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44773

Keebler, I just went on Amazon. Do you use the capsules AND the nasal spray. (Seagate OLE). And do you use the homeopathic and do you use the liquid? Thanks.
msdixie
Member # 46254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for msdixie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What works best for me ( and FAST!) is to make my own saline antifungal drops. I get STERILE distilled water and boil it a minute or so in microwave ( 1 cup ) and add 1 tsp salt and stir. Then I rupture a small oil of oregano capsules and
stir in about four drops . I put it in a small bottle with a dropper . I had a lingering infection that was not responding to anything. I had used Sinu orega successfully in the past , but it is CO$TLY . This is a safe
and cheap version that worked really well. Just be sure the water is sterile . The oregano oil
literally stomps out the fungus in the sinus cavities fast - you can feel it and it stings a bit as it kills the fungus ( not severe ) .

I was quickly breathing clearly and so thankful.

Posts: 19 | From Al | Registered: Jul 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tulips
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44773

msdixie, thanks. That's a great remedy. [Smile]
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I bought a net pot and use it at the start of a cold or allergy season, I haven't had a sinus infection. I used to get them at least once a year and required abx to get better.

They can be from yeast, so if abx aren't working, keep that in mind.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
tulips,

For nasal issues, I use the homeoopathic nasal spray and the capsules (I'm up to the full dose of 16 a day - four x 4). You would start with just one capsule, 2 x day and work up from there.

Seagate is the only brand I can recommend, though, because they have clean grow, harvest and processing methods (unlike many others) and don't include bits and pieces of other stuff in with the leaves.

Using nasal spray as needed to moisten and soothe. It will not dry out nasal passages as many OTC sprays can, nor affect heart rate as the others can do. It's very gentle.

I use the oral liquid many times daily to soothe mouth tissue. As that does not seem to be an issue for you, likely the capsules and nasal spray will be fine.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
When I was taking Hepapro Allicin, I recall it also being fabulous to open up my sinuses - capsule orally, not a nasal spray. Link here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/119197?#000000

Topic: Garlic vs Allicin
-

WPinVA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I get them too. I got them pre-Lyme and now post-Lyme. Every single time I get a cold. And I get a lot of colds with two school age kids and a crappy immune system.

Typically, I need either Augmentin or Avelox, and also BEG nasal spray to get rid of them. Last time my ENT also just gave me mupiricin ointment straight.

Xylitol for maintenance every single day, plus allergy meds and Flonase (yes I know it's a steroid but in my case docs all feel it's better to take it than not take.) Nasal irrigation never helped me but I know it does for some.

I'm looking into surgery for a deviated septum because I can't go on like this!

Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tulips
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44773

WP, maybe the Seagate Olive Leaf Extract nasal spray would help you too.
susank
Member # 22150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xylitol? Please explain.

I will chime in with my "obligitary" - whenever I read that someone has long-term respiratory problems.

Have you had your immunoglobulin levels tested?
Totals and subclasses?
IGG and subs
IGA and subs
IGM

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
IGM 18,28,41,66 IND: 23-25,34,39
IGG 41,58 IND: 39
Bart H IGG 40

Posts: 1613 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tulips:

Since it's so hard to get rid of, I'm wondering if Sinusitis where the sinuses become clogged with mucus could be connected to the body having mycoplasma and biofilm.

Yes, people with Lyme have more fibrin, causing biofilm, and this makes for thicker mucous. (Thicker blood too.)

When the mucous won't drain easily, any bacteria and mold that are present can grow, causing infection, inflammation, pressure, and pain.

When the mucous does drain well, there's nothing for the bacteria and mold to grow in.

Have you looked into Serrapeptase?
This is a systemic enzyme that reduces fibrin and biofilm.
There was a study done that showed that Serrapeptase cleared up sinus infections.

I've been taking Wobenzym for about ten years now, and I have not had a single sinus infection. (Wobenzym is a blend of systemic enzymes.)
I used to get at least one or two major sinus infections per year, which would progress into bronchitis.

I've been taking the Wobenzym to reduce my headaches and migraines, and the sinus improvements were a pleasant surprise.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tulips
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44773

Thanks for the help everyone. And Carol, thanks for the info on Serrapeptase and Wobenzym. Slowly the sinus infection is getting better as long as I continue with Saline nasal spray and Xlear Nasal Spray which melts mucous AND stay away from air conditioners.

I also have eliminated dairy and soy from my diet and eat one apple a day (this has been key - toxins bind with the pectins in apples) and try to have a salad or green vegetable too.

All this works very subtly but every few days, I notice the sinus infection is a little better and when I first started this post, it was beyond help

and if I ate the wrong thing, my head and digestive system would become clogged with mucous to the point where I was afraid I might suffocate.

For Biofilm, I'm taking less than 1/16 tsp Xylitol 1xd twice a week and I'm glad to learn about Serrapeptase. And thanks for telling me about Wobenzym. I've heard of other people using it and am going to order both it and Serrapeptase to try it out.

tulips
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44773

Susank, Xylitol melts biofilm (melts mucous) but you can't take very much because the body can't digest it and it will cause diarrhea. I've been taking 1/16 tsp of Xylitol once or twice a week and 1 Lactoferon, a chelator which eliminates metals,

on the same day I take Xylitol, but somewhere recently I read something negative about Xylitol.
I can't find the article and don't remember if it was something that would make me stop taking it but just thought I'd mention that.

tulips
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44773

Are there different types of Wobenzym? Is it a joint medicine or is it for the digestive system?
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by susank:
Xylitol? Please explain.

-
Xlear contains xylitol in the nasal spray.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok tulips. "Stay away from ac" if ac brings in sinus infection it is probably because you are susceptible to mold. Ac 's are notorius for being moldy.

When you go to mold fb sites you find out how 25% of us have genes that have trouble detoxing mold toxins and/or lyme and other toxins.

I have both those genes but by using xlitol and other otc meds at first sign of congestion i ws able to stopthe sinus infects

However, the fact that you react to ac strongly suggests you are reacting to mold. You may be living in it and not know. It can give you same sx as lyme. Many ppl who have trouble getting rid of lyme do better treating mold first. Then lyme sx go away.

There are docs who are both llmd and cert mold docs at survivingmold.com. or pm me

--------------------

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tulips
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44773

Thanks. We have mold in the basement. I've increased the use of saline nasal spray and Xlear lately and that plus going non-dairy is helping me a lot.
droid1226
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. But I suspect it's the other way around for me. I've had bronchitis/chronic sinus infection since the day I was born & spent early yrs in an incubator. I think this left me open to lyme/mold.

Idk how well you detox but this problem often goes hand in hand with the inability to detox. Mold & MTHFR can cause terrible issues.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/droid1226/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tulips:
Are there different types of Wobenzym?
Is it a joint medicine or is it for the digestive system?

I use the Wobenzym N.
It's described as good for the joints because many people use it that way, including for arthritis.

Systemic enzymes reduce fibrin in the bloodstream and reduce inflammation.
This improves bloodflow to all parts of the body, and joint pain improves.

Bloodflow to the intestines and reproductive organs gets better too, so irritable bowel syndrome should improve, as should menstrual cramping.

Right now, Amazon.com has vendors with the best price for the bottle of 800.
I realize you'll probably want to start with a smaller bottle to see how it works.

From what I've read, most of the research on Wobenzym has been done in Europe.
Google for Wobenzym plus whatever your ailment is to find articles.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tulips
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44773

Droid, it sounds like Olive Leaf Extract might be just the thing for you too. Read Keebler's post (above) about it. And read the Customer Feedback on Amazon about Olive Leaf Extract. It is described as a wonder herb by the people who take it.

Carol, since having this sinus infection, I've also had chronic diarrhea. Diarrhea which is almost pure liquid. I've been controlling it by taking Metamucil at breakfast and probiotics at night. Maybe this Wobenzym will help me with that. Too. Or maybe the Olive Leaf Extract will cure it. I've started taking OLE.

I'm really grateful for all of your posts.

WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Xlear is what I meant - that's the product that puts the xylitol into a nasal spray.

The diarrhea may be from taking the xylitol orally. Back off for a day or two and see if it stops.

[ 08-22-2015, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: WPinVA ]

Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know if this would help, but when I first began drinking mangosteen juice, my sinuses ran for 2 days straight even though I had no known sinus symptoms. In other words, the juice cleared out my sinuses.

It's an anti-inflammatory juice, found in health stores and online. I like the Mango-Xan version, as it's the most tart.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tulips
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44773

Thanks
marypart
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marypart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got my doctor to give me almost two months of augmentin, and at the same time I added xylitol and a couple drops of baby shampoo to my nasal saline rinse. I haven't had a sinus infection since then.. almost a year and half ago. They are doing clinical trials on xylitol and "surfactants" which is like baby shampoo. I use the same rinse whenever I get a cold.

--------------------
Son, 26, Dx Lyme 4/10, Babs 8/10
Had serious arthritis, all gone.
Currently on Valtrex
Daughter, 26,bullseye 7/11
arthritis in knees, cured and off all meds. .
Self:Lyme, bart, sxs gone, no longer treating.

Posts: 496 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tulips
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44773

Thanks. II'm going to do the sinus rinse with 2 drops of baby shampoo right now. I previously had two courses of antibiotics which didn't touch the sinus infection so I presume it's either fungal or viral.

I have a colonoscopy coming up next week and have the sinusitis under control to get me through it.

I'm taking Olive Leaf Extract and OLE nasal spray too. I'm also taking 1 Equate Mucus ER (600 mg. Guaffenesin) in the morning and 1 at night and have gone pretty much dairy free,

soy free and am eating an apple and fresh fruit each day and having a green vegetable each day too.

The Apple has really cut back on the amount of mucous I have.

lpkayak
Member # 5230

I cant believe the xclear didnt work. Ive never run into someone with sinus that was clearly fungal and xclear didnt work

Maybe you are continually getting reinfected by hidden mold. Many you cant smell or see

--------------------

tulips
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44773

At night, I take Guaffenesin and then about an hour and a half later, I use a saline nose spray and then the Xlear and that clears my nasal passages so that I can sleep but during the day nothing helps

very much except taking a decongestant. I'm usually on the first floor then - so I do think it's mold.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

For me, nothing worked because the maxillary sinus was blocked. NOTHING could get in.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

marypart
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marypart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the xylitol is really important because it breaks down biofilm. I get a can of it from Ultimate Life. You can search on Amazon for Ultimate Life Xylitol.

There has been some research to support it's use for sinusitis and I'm looking forward to results from this trial: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00924404?term=xylitol+sinus&rank=1

--------------------
Son, 26, Dx Lyme 4/10, Babs 8/10
Had serious arthritis, all gone.
Currently on Valtrex
Daughter, 26,bullseye 7/11
arthritis in knees, cured and off all meds. .
Self:Lyme, bart, sxs gone, no longer treating.

Posts: 496 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement