LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Cancer drug for Bb hiding in persister cells

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cancer drug for Bb hiding in persister cells
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:lwi-o9xemmQJ:http://www.northeastern.edu/news/2015/06/researchers-discovery-may-explain-difficulty-in-treating-lyme-disease/ (6/2015)

Bb hiding out in "persister" cells = drug-tolerant, dormant variants of regular cells

*Cancer drug very effective* OR article suggests pulsing abxs.

A very strange approach...sugar + abx.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80beats/2011/05/12/sugar-helps-antibiotics-kill-dug-in-bacteria/

I'm betting the best sugar "lure" would be mannose.

Got a kidney infection or UTI? D-mannose! (Cranberry juice has some, but not much.)

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:fXz8QEbLhz8J:http://www.tahomaclinicblog.com/d-mannose-for-bladder-and-kidney-infections/

D-Mannose + abx for lyme? Bb inhibits the mannose binding lectin pathway via p8 picked up in the tick's saliva. (p8 might be a portion of a viral protein called HTLV-1).

That pathway (mannose binding lectin) is critical at the get-go to completely "address" Bb infection. If not, our immune system is compromised.

Mannose = a sugar. Lectin = a protein.

I can't help but wonder about this combination:

Minocycline + D mannose (as "bait") + Claritin to address the H1 receptor on the macrophages.

[ 08-21-2015, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: Marnie ]

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunnymalibu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9586

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunnymalibu   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marni-thanks for posting this article. I saw the abstract on PubMed the other day and am going to take it to my rheumatologist to see if he will prescribe Rocephin for me. The article says to pulse 4 doses of it, but no further directions. Do you have access to the full article?

Funny that you mentioned mannose. I've taken it for a UTI because it's supposed to make things slippery so the bacteria can't hang on (I think). My problem with mannose is that it was making me SO tired.

--------------------
sunnymalibu

Posts: 192 | From california | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymedin2010
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 34322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymedin2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marnie, I always wondered about the sugar, since I thought it would entice the cysts to come out & engage in bb activity, whereby abx would be more effective. This was before I knew about blebs or persisters.

I know 2 other people who ate sugar & carbs like crazy while they had Lyme symptoms & they probably still carry the spirochete today. They did not develop any further Lyme symptoms. I too was sugar & carb crazed when I only had a few Lyme symptoms, before I ever knew what Lyme was. I never felt any different with the consumption.

I always thought the sugar/carb avoidance was counter intuitive to Lyme treatment & perhaps the worst feeling afterwards is because more bb are being killed off?

Posts: 2087 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marcholland81
Member # 45458

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marcholland81     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@marnie

The eradication of persisters were specific for aminoglycosides.

http://www.nature.com/articles/nature10069.epdf?referrer_access_token=tZDrbH_BHQVftAAPvzP_4tRgN0jAjWel9jnR3ZoTv0Os5autE0CnpLvDCjTDjV8eqCShlAN4O7FPI_OwSa4lXswhDsxAed2Fk3s4yK4Sk3LbYd 83PZGM0m2lRx_ngRDzFa99D14kGDotftTa4I0SlfUiNP3w4UlGybL-Xp47rcZgvGvCe6LILoy9rktKRNxQyqVdHWkkFL91N_NQxH415KBRIwu-6JdYa2wJoJjNy4ru22fyBLknfq6pH3sxJ9cm&tracking_referrer=blogs.discoverm agazine.com

Posts: 30 | From Netherlands | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stationary Bb (cyst form - reaction to abx.)in "persister cells"? I wonder if the combination of diflucan PLUS Berberine HCL would work (as it does to clear resistant candida)?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24060867

There is a combo...curcumin + berberine HCL and the formulation also contains some black pepper extract (increases bioavailability of curcumin). It is made by Swanson and is not expensive.

Black pepper contains Piperidine.

Hum...

Two types of H1-receptor antagonists — the piperidines (astemizole and terfenadine) and the nonpiperidines (chlorpheniramine and pyrilamine)

Prevention...

DEET is an effective against ticks but is considered less repellent than *piperidines* or permethrin.

Picaridin = (1-piperidinecarboxylic acid, 2-(2-hydroxy)ethyl)-, 1-methylpropylester) = Cutter (trade name) Advanced.

Cutter Advanced is labeled for protection against biting flies, chiggers, fleas, gnats, mosquitoes and no-see-ums, but ***is NOT labeled for use against ticks.***

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement