LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Gut issues?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gut issues?
Neko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am about a year into treatment now, off antibiotics for a few months. Been lurking for awhile. Besides the fatigue and joint pain, there just seems to be something off in my digestive tract.

I am taking pro-biotics ( VSL#3, saccharomyces boulardii tc). I drink peppermint tea and Egyptian licorice tea. I really would like to avoid proton pump inhibitors but I just don't know.

Before Lyme I went to a gastroenterologist as I thought I had shifting food allergies...some weeks certain foods would bother me. I did an elimination diet (3 months GF, removed things and added back in), had food allergies tested... All negative.

In the evening I get stomachs aches, not sure if it's just the time of night or that dinner is largest meal. I put my bed at an incline in case it was acid reflux. Afraid it's chronic gastritis.

Doc told me I was just 'constipated' so I drink water and add psyllium husk ( realized that made my stool too bulky and caused pain).

Now I think perhaps I have acid reflux/ gastritis and perhaps super poor gut motility (nerve issues)? To be frank, I get told by my docs to "go" more frequently but my gut doesn't push it down daily, by the time it does its impacted at the beginning and causes tears and fissures. Sorry to be graphic but I'm tired of going to the docs and being told to take collace or drink more water.

Any Lyme sufferers have issues? I'd like to avoid pharmaceuticals and stool softener but I'm at a loss. I don't want to develop scary complications. I hope antibiotics didn't damage me too much, I hope the Lyme didn't give me nerve damage .

I don't want tummy aches all the time and be afraid to go to the bathroom. Is it time for another useless gastroenterologist appointment? They don't seem well versed in Lyme complications [confused]

Posts: 133 | From North Shore | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probiotics can be constipating for some.

What I used to have to do was take about 1-200mg Magnesium with a whole glass of water with every meal, otherwise nothing would move in my gut.

I also found getting out for a walk or some kind of exercise daily helpful, and also avoiding more constipating foods (chocolate, cheese, etc.) and eating things that made my gut move better (for me, tomatoes helped the most). Some find beets or beet juice (fresh, not bottled/canned) helpful.

Another physician suggested the fresh-squeezed juice of half a lime in 4-6 ounces of warm water when I first got up the morning and again just before bed at night.

Then, I discovered a homeopathic remedy (in my case, it was Aurum Arsenicum) that seemingly resolved my chronic constipation issues. Since homeopathy must be customized to the individual, this remedy may not work for you...best to consult a homeopathic physician.

As for whether this could be from Lyme, yes absolutely. The best article on this topic is no longer available (was at http://www.thehumansideoflyme.net/viewarticle.php?aid=62 ), but the article detailed all the crazy stuff Lyme & Coinfections can do to the gut.

Basically, Lyme & Coinfections can mimic or cause any other GI disorder, including acid reflux, gastroparesis, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), inflammatory bowel disease (IBD - Crohn's, Ulcerative Colitis), etc.

The underlying issue is the infection(s) attacking the nerves (Bart., Lyme, etc.), the lining of the gut (Lyme, Babs, Bart, etc.), and the blood vessels that nourish the gut (Bartonella).

Throw in the whole abx killing off the friendlies, and candida overgrowth, and you get a real mess...

May also need to switch to a different probiotic. There are some I just cannot take because of the constipating side-effects. Might look into making your own sauerkraut or other similar fermented food for probiotics instead of the pills from the health food store...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also cannot go at all unless I am on magnesium.

I hope you find answers and relief!

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take lots of magnesium. Try mag citrate or mag oxide for constipation.

Marshmallow root or slippery elm may also help.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carriekaye
Member # 43533

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carriekaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like mast cell activation syndrome/histamine intolerance to me. It causes food allergy-like issues, that are not a true allergy, so you test negative. It also causes fatigue an joint pain. And it can be triggered by chronic lyme.

Our LLMD is finding that a large portion of his chronic lyme patients have developed mast cell activation syndrome, and it is often responsible for many of their symptoms that do not resolve from treating the lyme (or other coinfections).

Posts: 48 | From Orlando, FL | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shehasmoxy
Member # 44186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shehasmoxy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been taking magnesium for my restless leg issues. I don't like it because it actually gives me more tummy issues, I have to take it with a bunch of food or else my acid reflux kicks in. Anyone else have that problem?

I have a lot of the same issues.
I'm trying to increase my water intake, but I have a sensitive or small bladder so more water equals ridiculous amounts of bathroom trips. But I eat plenty of fiber so I don't need that.

I really think my gut is not moving properly and this must be Lyme related because I've heard this from others too!

.Someone mentioned biofeedback of some sort that might be helpful.I eat a lot of cheeses I I'm loathe to give that up.

I have also wondered about histamine intolerance, as I'm having serious allergy type issues and I can't be off antihistamines or else I get very sick. I'm not sure if my doctor has considered it.

Posts: 35 | From Boston | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shehasmoxy, perhaps you could try a different form of magnesium, as some forms can have a greater laxative effect than others.
Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
moxy .. Which type of magnesium are you taking? If you take oxide or citrate, you will be more likely to have loose bowels.

So if that happens, you can try mag glycinate or malate.

I love my ReMag and ReMyte. Very little trouble with the gut.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What kind of foods move the gut? I have to be really careful with too much fiber as it bulks up my stool too much.

I did try oxy cleanse for a bit. Unsure if that's a good thing to take for long periods?

I was up pretty late last night with indigestion, I sipped some asks seltzer gold just to ease it, because the tea alone was not enough.

I'm just very curious what would cause this MONTHS after ending antibiotic treatment. I just don't know if it's related to Lyme and co-infections, or any of my herbals.

Posts: 133 | From North Shore | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46592

quote:
Originally posted by carriekaye:
Sounds like mast cell activation syndrome/histamine intolerance to me. It causes food allergy-like issues, that are not a true allergy, so you test negative. It also causes fatigue an joint pain. And it can be triggered by chronic lyme.

Our LLMD is finding that a large portion of his chronic lyme patients have developed mast cell activation syndrome, and it is often responsible for many of their symptoms that do not resolve from treating the lyme (or other coinfections).

I definitely have wanted to look into this. Do many LLMDs have experience looking into it? I do have never ending allergies, and if I don't take a daily antihistamine I get allergic conjunctivitis and even feel like I'm getting hives.
Lymetoo
Member # 743

You might also want to consider Salicylate sensitivity. The peppermint and licorice would make me worse because they are both high in sals.

They can also cause restless legs (this is for moxy)... Some who have mast cell problems also react to salicylates and histamine in foods.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/115457?#000000

OLE Links
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
5-6 small meals a day
Mag citate and vit c
Elevated bed good idea
I have to take senna tea once or twice a week...but im not recommending that
I hope you can stay off rf2f lux meds. I wasnt able to and now cant get off theme

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shehasmoxy
Member # 44186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shehasmoxy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am taking magnesium carbonate and also potassium bicarbonate... It was to help my restless leg so I could stop twitching and fall asleep.
Posts: 35 | From Boston | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No time to read everything here, but, what I can volunteer:

I have everything going through too fast, and ulcers, along with acid reflux, so, that is not really the same situation overall as you.

However, one thing I have learned, is while the GI docs will push the proton pump inhibitors and similar bad ideas, hydrochloric acid capsules taken during meals can substitute for digestive acids your body is supposed to make, if the acid reflux is caused by not making enough acid. This is a frequent cause, despite what the standard dumb GI docs might say.

In case you're wondering, what I take is Natural Factors brand HCl, available through many online supplement sellers. There are many other brands, just as an example to be clear what I am talking about.

Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
droid1226
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the only common sense way to stop this is to avoid anything that could go through the digestive tract undigested and cause tears in areas you don't want them. Maybe a baby food diet for a while.

"gastritis and perhaps super poor gut motility (nerve issues)?"

I like that you hit on a major point that's not talked about enough for a lot of lyme patients. Vagal nerve(or other nerve) dysfunction that causes food to just kind of sit there. Some get diagnosed with gastroparesis. I think it's just slow motility due to damaged nerve or maybe slow function of the hypothalamus in the brain.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/droid1226/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46592

I've also found out that progestin based birth control can cause constipation. I was fitted with an IUD 3 years ago and now I am learning it could be the cause of a lot of my joint pain, back pain, and gut issues,

I had it removed and here's hoping that will relieve a bit of the stress in my gastrointestinal tract. I had no idea the progestin used was considered a hormone disrupter, which can lead to low progesterone and estrogen dominance...and that those two hormones can cause delayed gastric emptying.( thus the acid reflux and constipation)

It will take a few weeks to months to get everything back to normal...but I'm hoping for some improvements.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement