LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Do you take zithromax with rifampin?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do you take zithromax with rifampin?
lymeonade2015
Member # 45611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeonade2015     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For Bartonela is is necessary to take zithromax or another drug with rifampin for it to be effective for Bart or can you just take the rifampin alone? How soon would one notice a herx for bart? I'm taking the rifampin as a test to see if I actually have Bart. Thanks,
Posts: 69 | From NYC | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeonade2015
Member # 45611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeonade2015     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also - if something were to "go wrong" with the Rifampin what would the symptoms be? My doctors have nearly scared me out of taking this because apparently it can cause liver or renal failure in like two days. I'm doing a blood test on day two. I read that you should stop if you have flu-like symptoms but I have those anyways so I'm not sure if I could tell. I know I sound paranoid and I am. I don't know why my doctors have made this drug sound so dangerous when it seems like everyone takes it and is fine. Thanks
Posts: 69 | From NYC | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeonade2015
Member # 45611

Also (sorry) did anyone start with a 300 mg dose and work up to 600 mg or is that not necessary? One of my doctors says to do that but the others don't. Thanks,
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This page says to expect a herx in the first week or so:

http://www.lymebook.com/antibiotic-treatment-for-babesia-bartonella-ehrlichia-co-infections

Page says side effects of the drug are headaches and sleepiness.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would suggest ramping up .. 600mg is a heavy dose and you could have a herx from "H."

I lasted 5 days on this drug.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stumpy
Member # 27320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stumpy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been taking rifampin and azithromycin for 7 months with little improvement for bartonella. I pulse the zith three days a week. My LLMD says that rifampin can not be taken by itself. It supposedly works better when paired with a macrolide. I have my bloodwork done every 4 weeks to check my liver and kidney function. I started on 150mg of rifampin a day and worked my way up to 600mg a day so I could tolerate it. No problems with the rifampin but the zith hurts my stomach. My doctor believes I will see improvement soon but I have had bartonella for over 15 years. Some people are having better luck pairing the rifampin with biaxin which is a macrolide like zith. I am thinking about switching to biaxin. Good luck to you!
Posts: 68 | From Kentucky | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeonade2015
Member # 45611

Well I did 2 days at 300 mg a day and had zero side effects! Also zero herx. I've stopped taking it because I don't think I have bart just lyme.
WPinVA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did very well on Rifampin. It was very helpful for me. I don't think it's know to be particularly dangerous. Any drug can be dangerous. I think you just need to start slow and watch for side effects, and if you have them, stop and let your doctor know.

We are all so different. What is terrible for one person may be great for another. For example, mino makes me dizzy and I became allergic to Bactrim, so those are bad for me. But I haven't had any problems with the flouroquinolines to date, and they can be very dangerous for others.

Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two days is not a long enough test. You would want to take it a little over a week to see if you herx.

So, you won't know anything if you stop it now.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement