LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone try Daptomycin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone try Daptomycin
lymeonade2015
Member # 45611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeonade2015     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone tried Daptomycin? I read one or two posts from a while back but couldn't find any other experiences.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25806811

Thanks!

Posts: 69 | From NYC | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is very, very new. I am interested in it as well.
Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A.G.
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A.G.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I could go back, I wouldn't have put my body through those 2 months. I also wouldn't have wasted 2 months of insurance covered IV coverage for it.

It was not helpful for me. I am trying to get my potassium back where it is supposed to be. It was a nightmare for my particular body.

Maybe others have success. I have now sworn off antibiotics because if it. And I was treated with 3 years of orals, Bicillin, then 6 weeks IV Rocephin previously.

You have to realize that you will be a guinea pig.

Posts: 115 | From US | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unsure445
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15962

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unsure445     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any other experiences?

--------------------
unsure445

Posts: 824 | From northeast | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeonade2015
Member # 45611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeonade2015     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AG did you take any other drugs while on the daptomycin?

What were the side effects?

Thanks,

Posts: 69 | From NYC | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A.G.
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A.G.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Iv Daptomycin alternating weekly with Iv Rocephin along with oral Doxycycline. To try to help flares: Iv Glutathione 3 days/week and full flare protocol which didn't put a dent in it.
A
Side effects: massive sweats, worsened pots, difficulty standing, very hot all over, fever worsend, extreme weakness, bed bound, hypokalemia despite adding potassium rx, flares like I never flared before.

In the end the only time I was ok was when I was hooked up to IV saline 4 days per week.

I am grateful to have come out alive. So many nights I went to sleep so sick I was shocked that I woke up the next day.

Everyone is different. Just sharing that what works in the test tube magnificently doesn't automatically work in the body.

Posts: 115 | From US | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeonade2015
Member # 45611

Thanks for the info - did you have any reactions to the other medicines that you took? Also, were those side effects or a strong herx? I've read daptomycin makes people sleepy in the day and insomniac at night. Thanks,
TNT
Member # 42349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A.G., I'm sorry that the Daptomycin protocol made you worse. I had mentioned on your IV Daptomycin thread about the possibility that Babesia could be causing your worsening. Did you ever address that with your doc?
Posts: 1308 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeonade2015
Member # 45611

So I just read through the study again in detail and I realized that for testing the regrowth of the lyme following antibiotic therapies (seeing how much grew back after 15 days post-treatment) - for that experiment the lyme they treated had only been growing for SEVEN days. In the section before this, where they demonstrated the strong efficacy of the drugs to kill the lyme, the lyme had been growing for TEN days. And at ten days, the treatment left like 19% of the lyme I believe.

So... its possible they regrowth results aren't as promising as I thought because they didn't do the test on 10-day old lyme for some reason. There was a substantial different in the makeup of 10-day old lyme vs 7-day lyme where the older lyme had many more persister bacteria.

I could be reading / interpreting this wrong but I don't understand why they did the second test with 7-day lyme growth instead of 10 except that regrowth would be a lot less likely.

Thanks,

lymeonade2015
Member # 45611

Except in the graph it says it was a ten day old culture?

"Subculture (15 days) of 10 day old B. burgdorferi stationary phase culture treated with different antibiotics alone or in combinations.

To do this, we subjected a 7-day old stationary phase B. burgdorferi culture to exposure with select antibiotics and antibiotic combinations for"

So was it seven or ten? I'm going to email them.

dan67
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dan67     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
follow.
Posts: 641 | From Nevada | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxy loxy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
interested...
Posts: 477 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
1002cats
Member # 47485

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1002cats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am always interested in new treatments, but would not take antibiotics. I was treated by the President of the lyme Assoc. It did not help and wrecked my gut. After loading with probiotics and nutrients, I followed natural herbals with Dr. Stephen Buhner and others. These have helped enormously. I have to continue addressing the coinfections. Everyone is different, but natural therapies restore the bodies energy and ability to function in spite of the infection. Hopefully some day there will be a drug that is nontoxic and cures Lyme.

--------------------
Evelyn White

Posts: 1 | From New York | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DD did the woohoo new IV dapto/rocephin oral doxy pcl. It was a 3 week thing fling that cost us thousands more than I want to remember.

Nadda, zilch, zero in terms of results. We could have predicted it. If we had a dollar... yadda yadda yadda, you know the rest.

Oh and Evelyn/1002cats I am glad you are no longer seeing him. We wasted tens of thousands on him. He might be prez of ILADS now but he's as useless as a "fill-in-the-blank"

And no, he wasn't the one who prescribed the woo-hoo dapto protocol. But he prescribed a whole lot of other stuff that was equally worthless and so very, very expensive.

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was a waste of time and liver function for me.
Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what everyone needs to remember is that in vitro (in a test tube) results do not necessarily correspond with in vivo (in the human body)

sorry to hear it has not helped people on this thread

very sorry indeed, as we really need something to work well

wondering if there are those who did get better results

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanRosner1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 49076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BryanRosner1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any other updates on folks who have used the new daptomycin drug combinations? Seems to be a lot of bad experiences?
Posts: 123 | From Tahoe | Registered: Oct 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement