LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Ultraviolet light therapy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ultraviolet light therapy?
beaches
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got an email that there is some seminar re: UV light therapy being used by an LLMD for LD tx. Anyone familiar with this tx? I am skeptical.
Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattH
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MattH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The UV Light Therapy kills viruses, bacteria, and fungus. However several treatments are needed and I am not sure how complete the treatment is (what about biofilm?). I have done 12 treatments and only once did I feel significantly better, really cleared my head for about 3 hours!

I used two different practitioners that are very practiced in providing these treatments. I got about 3 treatments every 6 weeks due to the lengthy commute and available treatment times. These treatments may not have been frequent enough to make a significant difference. It was suggested I do 2 per week for a total of 24 to 30 treatments but that would have cost about $1600/month and I could not afford that.

I am watching the progress of the new UVLrx. It looks like it could be a more effective UVB treatment. I do not have any treatment costs yet. There is a doctor in Dallas that treats Lyme that is using it, but I do not know how successful he is. I will reach out to him shortly to find out if it is working for Lyme patients.

All the Best, MattH

Posts: 607 | From Houston Texas | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi MattH and thanks for your reply. I actually received an email regarding this tx from an LLMD in NY we used to go to. I have no confidence in him or any of his treatments, based on years and megabucks wasted doing them with no improvement.

What I don't understand is how, if the spirochete is in tissues, just treating the blood would work.

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aneg
Member # 46674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aneg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello. I find that fascinating. I am a chemist and I use uv light all the time in my analysis in the lab

I was reading up on the uv treatment for Lyme. Would the short wave cause molecular damage to the red blood cells and other cells like lymphocytes, neutrophils, ect..

I do not know much about it and since I am sure you did your research what do you think so far?

--------------------
Life is short, live it without regrets.

Posts: 33 | From DFW | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattH
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MattH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beaches and Aneg,

If the bugs are in the muscles and or behind biofilm how does the UVB work?

I read a book on the UVB treatment (Into the Light) and how effective the tx is against various bacterial infections. The treated blood goes throughout the body so I would think it would into the muscles, but I do not know how much killing it actually does. I do not know if it is effective with biofilm.

However I would think this is a complementary treatment, not a primary one. It certainly was not the cure all for me, but again I did not do two treatments a week for 15 weeks like the Doc recommended.

Not sure about molecular damage, however my LLMD said the UVBrx treatment could cause some oxidative damage. I did not ask if that is permanent or temporary.

I would think that if one has a significant bacterial, fungus, and or virus load this would knock down the infection so that other treatments
might be even more effective. However that is a guess at best!

All the Best, MattH

Posts: 607 | From Houston Texas | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shehasmoxy
Member # 44186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shehasmoxy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was under the impression that UV therapy is not effective in treating lyme. Especially considering lyme leaves the bloodstream and disseminates, I would be wary of any doc saying they can cure lyme with UV.

Fungi, blood borne bacteria and viral infections would benefit, esp finding that many lyme patients have opportunistic infections and deactivated viral infections.

Posts: 35 | From Boston | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement