LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Question about dental work... filling drilled too far.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question about dental work... filling drilled too far.
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys are really knowledgable so I'm going to ask... Can a tooth with a cavity that was drilled into the nerve heal?

I had a filling that cracked so I went to the dentist & she drilled it and replaced the filling. It's been hurting - not excruciating but it hurts.

I really don't want to get a root canal so do you think it can heal over time? Will having the filling resting on the nerve cause an abscess, infection, or inflamation or can it eventually heal?

Sorry - this is not actually related to Lyme but many of you have alot of experience with dental work. I read that root canals can harbor spirochetes so I really want to avoid a root canal.

I had 2 teeth pulled rather than getting a root canal but if I pull this tooth - I'll probably have to get a bridge or some kind of denture. I'd rather just wait it out to see if it will heal. I'm just not sure if that can happen.

Any thoughts/experiences would be appreciated.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you think you could be having a sensitivity to the material used to place the filling?

Sorry I don't have much advice for you, my husband has been experiencing ongoing pain with a filling he recently got as well. He is getting it rechecked next week.

My recent filling, I had some pain for a couple weeks before it started subsiding, it's still quite sensitive over a month later. My Dds said some people experience lingering pain if they are sensitive to the composite material.

If you got it done very recently perhaps give it some time to see if the pain starts subsiding? I hope it gets better for you!

Posts: 474 | From US | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you! Yes, I thought it might be the composite material. Going to a "biological dentist" costs a fortune so I'm trying to make due with a regular dentist.

She graduated top of her class from an Ivy League school - so she's quite accomplished but they don't teach the Weston Price philosophy or even that mercury is bad...

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sparkle .. My dentist told me once that sometimes our teeth get bruised just a bit. Like if you bite down a certain way it can cause the tooth to hurt for several days.

So your tooth is likely angry about having been disturbed.

Do you know for certain that she drilled into the nerve?? Wouldn't that cause you to come flying out the chair?

I had a crown once that took an entire year to quit hurting. I think it was because he used a gold crown. The metal and I don't get along well.

Hope it all comes out OK .. (not literally!)

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Thanks TuTu! That's funny about the angry tooth! Yeah, mine is sort of crotchety...

The cavity had expanded & was close to the nerve. She was going to try her best to not drill too much because she knows how I feel about root canals. She told me if it hurt alittle while eating, it was OK but if it hurt all the time it was not. It's kind of achey but not excrutiating. It's on & off kind of pain.

I did get a filling filled there at this dental office & it was with a less experienced dentist. She did drill too close to the nerve & it hurt like heck! I ended up having to get the tooth pulled. Unfortunately, it was over a holiday weekend so I had to deal with it all weekend. Luckily, they prescribed me a pain medicine.

My intuition is that it will heal but I don't know. Just wondering if this has happened to folks here & if it does heal over time. I'd rather try to save my teeth if possible.

Of course, they would like to do a root canal since they make money from them...

WPinVA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think if it went into the nerve, then you would need a root canal. That was my experience, but I'm far from an expert.

But based on what you describe, maybe it's just sore from putting the filling in. I guess pay attention to whether the pain gets better in the next few days, or not.

Can she do an x-ray to tell for sure if the nerve was impacted?

Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

It's been about a month & it's still achey. It hurts alot if I eat or drink something cold but it eventually calms down. I'll probably call them next week & see what they say.

I was just wondering if it's possible to heal. I don't mind waiting if it saves me from getting a root canal.

Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sparkle, buy the violet ray and do it there, (not in your mouth, but on your face / cheek), I mean, from the outside.

my daughter broke one of her frontal tooth in half, of course the nerves were broken, and exposed (I could SEE THEM!!!). A very thin blood-color vein....

She showed me, and said, she was going to put something to try to heal the nerve, disinfect it too, then just add some filling (I think some ceramic or plastic).

She did that, and said, the tooth may or may not survive, she wasn't sure.

Only time will tell, she said.

Well, we started from that day, daily the violet ray (from outside). It is a wonderful tool for accidents, when there is surgery, cuts, etc. So we just used it there.

I tested all the affected teeth daily, how many % were they well or not. THis particular tooth was the worse of all, tested very weak. After every session of violet ray, it increased about 10% in strength.

We did that daily, about once or twice a day, I can't remember anymore, till it increased about 10% up. Ex: it tested 50% at first, then after the violet ray it tested 60% well. Next day, it would test either 50 or 60%. Well, after about 2 weeks, it got to 80% and remained there!

We went back many times to the dentist, who kept testing vitality (with dry ice), and the tooth is sill alive TODAY (months after the accident).

I do think the Violet ray helped us there, as the tooth had a broken nerve PLUS it was totally weak (as it got an accident and got its root weakened).

It had ALL ingredients to die, and it didn't! So get a violet ray, it costs much less than any dentist appointment!!!

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It can heal, but it takes time...longer than a month. Call & see what they say, but if your intuition says it'll heal, then it might just be better to try and wait it out.

BTW, clove oil applied to the gum where the tooth is may reduce pain (acts like anesthetic - was used for dental procedures before novocaine). It'll burn at first, but that subsides in a few minutes. Bonus: clove oil may kill Bartonella...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sparkle7:

I was just wondering if it's possible to heal. I don't mind waiting if it saves me from getting a root canal.

-
Heck, I would wait. I'm sure glad I did!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Thanks guys! You are the best!

I had an old mercury amalgam on it but it cracked & the cavity got worse. So, the dentist removed the mercury filling & put in a white one - I think it's some kind of plastic resin.

I would have liked to do some bio-compatability testing but she isn't that kind of dentist. I didn't want to go broke getting it corrected.

Yes, I will try the violet ray. I'm going to order one or 2 next week. I have been putting clove oil on it. I love clove oil.

I have been using the LightWorks on it, too. It does help!

I like the infrared light better but this seems like it might help-
http://www.elixa.com/light/dentaray.html

I think part of the problem was to know if it was possible for it to heal. Belief is a big part of getting well. I really don't want a root canal. If I get it pulled - I won't have many teeth left on that side of my mouth.

It mainly hurts if I drink or eat something cold or when I'm laying down - it may have to do with having less blood pressure on it in a reclined position...?

The pain is bearable if I can believe there's hope.

I just read a really informative webpage about root canals so I really would like to avoid one!

http://www.biodentistrydrvizcarra.com/?s=8&sub=6

I wish I could go & see this dentist. She sounds like she knows some common sense about dental treatment. She's in CA, though.

When I was searching around on the internet about this - it seems it happens quite alot to people. Most of the information that came up was from people who wanted to sue their dentists about this - not so much how to heal it.

[bonk]

Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would suggest using PEMF, but I don't think you bought one yet.

I used the SOTA Magnetic Pulser several years ago on a VERY painful tooth, and it felt better within a couple minutes.

--------
Quote:
I have been using the LightWorks on it, too. It does help!

I like the infrared light better but this seems like it might help-
http://www.elixa.com/light/dentaray.html
--------

Use the LightWorks on the 880 wavelength, to make sure it penetrates far enough.
This works differently than PEMF would.

Infrared light increases the energy in the cells' mitochondria, while PEMF adjusts the electrical charge on the cell membranes.
Both modalities help the cells to work better and to heal, although I have found PEMF to work faster.

I read through some of the info at the link for elixa.com and I see the DentaRay MultiColor LED BioLight Wand is similar to the LightWorks in that it uses 660 wavelength, but in a much small array.

That way you can fit it right inside your mouth and lay it against the tooth, instead of applying it on the skin of your cheek.
The light reaches the teeth either way.

That company sells other infrared and PEMF units similar to the SOTA units, but I don't know how they compare in strength.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Hi Carol! Yes, I have the mag pulser, too. I'll try it. For some reason, I don't like it as much as the LightWorks. It doesn't seem to work as well for me as the light but I'll try it again.

Yes, Elixa is a good company. The arrays don't have the Nogier pulses, though. They are a good price. I have thought about getting one since it's a bit stronger than the LightWorks.

The dental unit doesn't have infrared. I really like infrared LEDs - so I don't know if it would be as effective. It's a good idea in any case.

I read that SOTA is coming out with a stronger LightWorks next year.

----------

fyi-

Sneak Peak – Our New LightWorks – Model LW2

We are keen to let you know about the new model of the SOTA LightWorks, Model LW2, even though it is still several months before it will be available. Here are the features the new model will bring:

Increased milliwatts (mW), some colors are up to 2.5 times more powerful (intense).
Telephone connection cord is being replaced with USB connection.
Two USB connection ports, allowing the use of two Hand Paddles at one time.
Ability to choose any two color combinations when used with the LightWorks Hand Paddle Set.

The new LightWorks – LW2 will retail for $350.00 USD.

We will be taking advance orders on the new LightWorks when we are closer to the unit being available. We expect to get stock in 9 – 12 months.

The New LightWorks Hand Paddle Set

Our Green/Blue and Yellow/Orange Hand Paddles are also being
re-designed. They will feature a USB connection port and have increased milliwatt (mW) output which means more intense light. The new LightWorks Hand Paddle Set will retail for $295.00 USD and will now include a USB Connection Cord, in addition to the two hand paddles.

LightWorks Model LW1 Not Compatible with the New LightWorks

Please note, Model LW1 uses a telephone style connector while the new Model LW2 will use a USB style connector. This means you will not be able to use LW1 paddles with the LW2 unit nor LW2 paddles with the LW1 unit. The two models will not be compatible.

Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a tooth hurt like hell after a cracked filling was replaced.

It turns out I was allergic to the replacement material.

It took awhile, but finally got the right material and it took several months for the nerve pain to go away, but it eventually did.

The white, resin stuff I was horribly allergic to.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Interesting. Thanks. How did you find out you were allergic to it?
tickalert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickalert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is PEMF?
Posts: 911 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Pulsed Electro-Magnetic Field device. SOTA makes one called the MagPulser.
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Hey guys/gals... The Mag Pulser really helped.

It was hurting like the dickens yesterday (ie: tooth resting on nerve) but today it feels alot better. I was thinking I was going to have to get a root canal or get it pulled. The pain was really bad.

My dentist was out of the office until next Tuesday so they couldn't give me any pain medicine due to the recent law. I was thinking I was going to go nuts without any pain meds until next Tuesday. They told me to take Motrin... [dizzy]

Today, it's starting to feel alot better! I used a couple of other things like the LightWorks & doing oil pulling with coconut oil...

Just want to thank Carol for the suggestion!

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Wonderful!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Also- I called another holistic dentist about the allergic issue. I don't think I'm allergic since it causes swollen gums & other symptoms that I didn't have if you do have an allergic reaction.

I have another filling that the same dentist did & I never had a problem with it.

I would have done the bio-compatability testing if I had more money. I have a plan & the dentist on it is not a holistic one. She is good but not holistic, unfortunately.

It's kind of "woo-woo" but I did have some exposure to a Van der Graff generator... I was reading about it & it may be why my tooth stopped hurting but I don't know.

-

tickalert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickalert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I checked elixa's website and the dentaray is out of stock.

Does anyone know where else I can purchase one of those?

Posts: 911 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

They are kind of hard to find... I did see some of what they call "LED curing lights" - you have to look through them to see if they have the correct wavelength, I suppose.

Did you call Elixa to see if they are going to get them again? The guy I spoke with there was very helpful but that was a while ago.

FYI - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25511777

Antimicrobial photodynamic therapy suppresses dental plaque formation in healthy adults: a randomized controlled clinical trial.

---

I found this one but it's kind of pricey for a red LED "flashlight"... That's what it looks like, anyway.

http://www.amazon.com/TENDLITE%C2%AE-Therapy-Anti-Inflammatory-Strength-Relief/dp/B004QECAU4

sparkle7
Member # 10397

PS - I did find these LED flashlights on Amazon. Not sure if it does the same thing as the Dent-a-ray but you can consider it...

This one is infrared but they have other colors available if you click on the company name who is selling it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014QXC3WO/ref=s9_dcbhz_bw_g60_i4_sh

Might be worth a try for around $20...

Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Youhouuuuu Sparkle! I hope it stays quiet, your toothache!!!!

Photo is great.

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement