LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Morton' Foot and Chronic Lyme: Is Your Big Toe Shorter than the Second Toe?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Morton' Foot and Chronic Lyme: Is Your Big Toe Shorter than the Second Toe?
WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WakeUp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this is crazy... but my big toe is shorter than my second toe, which is a body type known as Morton's foot--- or Greek Foot, because greek sculptors liked the look of these feet!!

Anyway, Morton's Foot has been linked with Fibromyalgia... because it is a genetic variant that results in a shortage of a form of Vitamin B-6 known as PLP. A similar mutation causing PLP deficiency is also linked to chronic fatigue and chronic Lyme!!

Here's the scientific article and the special B supplements --PLP, L5-MTHF, B12 and trimethylglycine--- they suggest to correct the deficiency!

"Morton's foot and pyridoxal 5'-phosphate deficiency: genetically linked traits." by Nichols TW Jr1, Gaiteri C2.

LINK: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25441836

Abstract
"Vitamin B6 is an essential vitamin needed for many chemical reactions in the human body. It exists as several vitamins forms but pyridoxal 5'-phosphate (PLP) is the phosphorylated form needed for transamination, deamination, and decarboxylation. PLP is important in the production of neurotransmitters, acts as a Schiff base and is essential in the metabolism of homocysteine, a toxic amino acid involved in cardiovascular disease, stroke, thrombotic and Alzheimer's disease. This report announces the connection between a deficit of PLP with a genetically linked physical foot form known as the Morton's foot. Morton's foot has been associated with fibromyalgia/myofascial pain syndrome.

Another gene mutation methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFr) is now being recognized much commonly than previous with chronic fatigue, chronic Lyme diseases and as "the missing link" in other chronic diseases. PLP deficiency also plays a role in impaired glucose tolerance and may play a much bigger role in the obesity, diabetes, fatty liver and metabolic syndrome. Without the Schiff-base of PLP acting as an electron sink, storing electrons and dispensing them in the mitochondria, free radical damage occurs! The recognition that a phenotypical expression (Morton's foot) of a gene resulting in deficiency of an important cofactor enzyme pyridoxal 5'-phosphate will hopefully alert physicians and nutritionist to these phenomena. Supplementation with PLP, L5-MTHF, B12 and trimethylglycine should be used in those patients with hyperhomocysteinemia and/or MTHFR gene mutation."

[ 11-07-2015, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: WakeUp ]

Posts: 696 | From New York | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What if one is same length and the other shorter?
Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nomoremuscles
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nomoremuscles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by poppy:

That sounds like trouble. They may need to measure the bumps in your skull before making any scientific judgments.
Posts: 845 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before jumping into taking p5p or any other B6, read this:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=132871;p=0

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very funny, muscles. Gave me my laugh for today.
Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guess I am a skeptic that just because someone has Morton's toe means that they might have fibromyalgia, chronic Lyme.

I would love to read the whole article cited but could only find the abstract and references. How many people with Morton's toe and methylation problems were counted?

The references have several citations from wikepedia which does not give me much confidence in this research article.

[ 11-07-2015, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: hiker53 ]

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8879 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About the journal called Medical Hypotheses. As noted below, this journal has no proof, just hypotheses. No experimental evidence.

"Medical Hypotheses is a forum for ideas in medicine and related biomedical sciences. It will publish interesting and important theoretical papers that foster the diversity and debate upon which the scientific process thrives. The Aims and Scope of Medical Hypotheses are no different now from what was proposed by the founder of the journal, the late Dr David Horrobin. In his introduction to the first issue of the Journal, he asks 'what sorts of papers will be published in Medical Hypotheses? and goes on to answer 'Medical Hypotheses will publish papers which describe theories, ideas which have a great deal of observational support and some hypotheses where experimental support is yet fragmentary'"

--------------------
Hiker53

Posts: 8879 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WakeUp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Hiker53

You state as "fact" that only Neanderthals have Morton's foot, yet you show no supporting evidence or scientific study to validate your fact. So-- you see it works both ways.

I am simply a chronic Lyme patient who is exploring every possible angle for the genetic bases as to why I have chronic Lyme and I am not interesting in getting into arguments with people.

You are of course entitled to criticise every intriguing finding posted--- that is your right.

Of course an excessive spirit of criticism-- is not "of the light" but instead is from the" darkness."

Well- I think this Morton's Foot observation is very intriguing and the article was written by scienbtists who have a great deal of "observational support. "

Pennicillin was discovered through curiosity and anecdotal evidence--- not big government junk "science."

The government of course will never bother to research this Morton's foot genetics , just as they never bother to research promising cures, and instead they put all their effort into suppressing the truth about chronic Lyme, and financing armies of shills at Lyme forums..

I generally ***thank*** people who post interesting articles-- because as a christian, I believe it is my duty to be kind and thankful when someone has gone out of their way to give me information I did not have before..

A spirit of criticism is darkness, not light.

Posts: 696 | From New York | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

quote:
Originally posted by poppy:

I would guess that it means that you have many of the genetic traits that accompany Morton's foot. which may mean that you have more of a propensity to develop fibromyalgia, if what these scientists are suggesting is true.

But since the government has no interest in financing research on this -- we will never know for sure.

One practical application would be that parents, noticing that their child has Morton's foot--- would be extra careful checking them for deer ticks--- knowing that their child may have a more of a propensity to develop a chronic condition.

hiker53
Member # 6046

No intention to be rude and if I came off that way, I do apologize. My reference to Neanderthals was supposed to be a joke.

I guess one article on the subject with not a lot of information makes me take a step back. Obviously further research needs to be done.

My father has Morton's toe, is 92 and healthy. My mother does not have Morton's toe and has celiac and cancer. My brother does not have Morton's toe and has Parkinsons.

I have Morton's toe and am recovering from the affects of Lyme. So,in my family this does not really hold true and I do not have the MTHFr genetic make-up issues.

I don't want people who have Morton's toe to suddenly be scared.

Also, as Lymetoo pointed out excessive amounts of co-enzymated B6 (P5P) can be toxic and lead neurological issues. My own neurologist has told me that.

Wakeup--I did not intend excessive criticism and my comments are not from the darkness as you seem to imply. Even Christians can have views that differ from one another and still be in the Light.

Blessings to all and may we each find a pathway to healing.

--------------------
Hiker53

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

Hiker,

No problem. One more small thing:
You said that all Neanderthals have Morton's foot, and:"this is really true," which later turned out to be not true according to you, and was your joke....

Hmm.... just saying... we of the faith are supposed to try to tell the truth at all times, especially on a public forum... just a friendly reminder from one believer to another.

Also, genetics is far more complicated than "my father has morton's toe and is healthy..." as I am sure you know, because maybe your father was never bitten by a deer tick.

Since ten percent of the population has morton's foot, I am sure no one is "afraid" of this new information-- open access to all information is far more important than worrying about inciting non-existant fear.

We are all adults and need open access to new information to be able to make decisions about our health.

Personally I have derived immense (priceless) benefit from active b12 and with L5-MTHF, but I am certainly not pushing it on anyone and I am not a doctor.

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

-
WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

Number 3 in the image above is Morton' Foot or Royal Foot or Greek Foot... I do actually descend from royalty..

Does anyone else here have Morton's foot?

AAARGHHH.......It doesn't frighten me...lol

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
Before jumping into taking p5p or any other B6, read this:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=132871;p=0

Agreed-- caution on taking too much of anything-- .. but that said... I seem to have benefited immensely from Active B-12 with L-5-MTHF... It has worked for me and I consider it to be very valuable, although everyone of course is different.

Most of the B vitamins that are put into foods today may be the toxic forms of the vitamin that are not useable by people with a certain genetic profile. The whole methylation cycle is very complex.

hiker53
Member # 6046

Since my Neanderthal-Cromagnon joke seemed to bother someone I will delete that from this thread and no longer post here. There was truth about Neanderthals and Cro-Magnon in my post, but I am not sure people got the joke part of it.

Obviously I am not welcome on this thread as I have basically been told what I say is from the darkness and not truthful. And I can discount any evidence from my family(I know it is not evidence, but family facts can be interesting) but the abstract provided does not give any numbers or examples. I would love to see the full article.

As Wakeup said, the methylation cycle is extremely complex. I simply did not want people to start supplementing based on the fact they had Morton's toe.

Keep on healing! Also, since Wakeup brought up the subject of digits, I bet we could find some interesting science articles on the length of the ring finger vs. the length of the pointer (index finger) [Big Grin]

[ 11-07-2015, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: hiker53 ]

--------------------
Hiker53

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

Hi Hiker,
No worries--- I was simply hoping that you would post a scientific link about the Neanderthal data you claimed was true-- since I took the effort to post a link (above) to the Morton's foot- Lyme study that I never claimed was true--- I just think it is intriguing-- and another useful lead on why we all may have chronic Lyme.

I went to some effort to post this recent info and link, and I was hoping that others would add in their own effort before simply criticizing this study and its conclusions.

Its so easy to criticize others' efforts while not adding our own research. That is all I am saying.

We are in a race against time, given our knowledge that Lyme biofilm is actually Alzheimers plaques. We need all the info we can get.

Blessed are the Peacemakers, and I am sorry if I upset you in any way..

poppy
Member # 5355

Aren't we all in deep trouble without looking for insults where none are intended. Jokes good, sometimes hard to interpret for some people. Sense of humor not equally distributed. Sick people may have had their funny bone dislocated.

Please kiss and make up.

ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is an interesting topic (and foot chart!), but Hiker's anecdotal comments were also of value.

Of course, articles and research papers are invaluable, but If people feel that they have to have to cite research references for every comment they make, a lot of the useful flow and exchange of opinion will be lost.

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW:

I have Morton's toe and am Germanic, not Greek .. I also feel that I have suffered the toxic effects of p5p .. hence my comments.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
FWIW:

I have Morton's toe and am Germanic, not Greek .. I also feel that I have suffered the toxic effects of p5p .. hence my comments.

Cool--- you and I both probably share a neanderthal ancestor-- we should do an informal poll here to see if there is a connection between chronic lyme patients and Morton's Foot!! I bet there are a lot of Morton's feet here!!

Perhaps the Neanderthal methylation genetics is causing us to have a greater propensity to develop or feel effects from chronic Lyme due to the fact that we do not Methylate well.

Morton''s foot may simply be a phenotypical expression of poorer methylation genetics.

The researchers who wrote the paper above have published many other papers on pubmed and seem to have some expertise on the methylation cycle (probably more than the average poster here).

Their theoretical article had almost 40 footnotes, only 3 of which were wikipedia. I don't think this proves that the article is bogus... although I agree that wikipedia is an inferior source.

I would tend to trust that their hunches about Mortons foot may be valuable and worthwhile insights for our community.

As for the B vitamins, I have personally greatly benefited from two of the vitamins they listed above: Active B12 and L-5-MTHF. I was thinking of adding in the other two, since one person I know of benefited off of trimethylgyline(betaine).

I have not had the 23andme test yet, but know there is a problem with my methylation since I respond extremely well to SAMe, the end product in the methylation cycle.

SAMe is really expensive, though-- and the Active B12 with L-5-MTHF gives me the same result as SAMe with far less cost.

Big Pharma hates anything to do with vitamins--- so perhaps there are shills here assigned to boost Prozac while denigrating vitamins here... Shills happen....LOL...

Im sorry you had a bad experience with PLP, though.. What exactly were the side effects?

surg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have Morton's toe. We should do a poll and see what people say.
Posts: 293 | From healdsburg, ca , sonoma | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement