LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Forgot to lock / pinch PICC line extension

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Forgot to lock / pinch PICC line extension
lymeonade2015
Member # 45611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeonade2015     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Second day of a PICC and I forgot to lock the extension piece (just remembered). The PICC itself was auto locked I think but just the add on extension I forgot to clip / pinch the line to lock it after use. I don't have an extra one, nursing place is closed, etc - can I just unclip the extension from the PICC, flush it with saline, and then put back on to use? Anyone ever forget to pinch lock the extension? Thanks,
Posts: 69 | From NYC | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no idea .. hope someone shows up to help you!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Need to go to bed but you need help so quick... Easy fix. Flush PICC ASAP with saline & heparin, remember to clamp/ lock it this time as you finish last flush.

Night!

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just close the clamp on the extension once you realize you have left it open. I have forgotten this as well and I have asked my nurse about this. He said it was okay. Just do your regular saline flush and routine tomorrow as you have been taught.

But I am new at this too, so Sammy's advice is probably good to do another saline flush! Good luck!

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just thinking, is your PICC one with a valve? You said that it was "auto-locked" so that made me rethink my response.

If it is, the hospital might have mentioned that you do not need to clamp it. Clamping PICCs with valves kinda negates their effect and causes blood to reflux into the PICC sometimes.

So if you have an open, normal PICC then yes, you must always clamp to prevent blood reflux and clots.

For valved PICCs, best not to clamp. Tempting and hard to resist when you've got a clamp attached to your extension but best for your PICC.

Your PICC has writing/tiny print on it that identifies it if you are unsure or you can call the hospital where it was placed. They can tell you what is commonly used.

Mine is valved and I must resist temptation to clamp my extensions when I flush it. Just made me think of your question...

Sorry if it does not apply to you. Hope I didn't confuse.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeonade2015
Member # 45611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeonade2015     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you! Its purple and says power picc on it so I think it has a valve. I flushed anyways to make sure it would be okay. Thanks,
Posts: 69 | From NYC | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sammy, does your statement apply also to hickman catheters? Do they have valves?

And how do you feel about putting caps on the end of the line? They are available, but I was under the impression that such things were not necessary. Something about negative pressure, or did I make that name up?

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

I don't want to mislead anyone. There are several different manufacturers of power PICCs and not all power PICCs have valves. Each hospital has there preferred device. So please refer to the information that the hospital gave you about the specifics and details of caring for your individual device.

You asked if there is a brand of Hickman catheter with valves on the end, I would assume so as they are such similar products.

Also, you asked about end caps. I highly recommend that you use and replace them with sterile technique once weekly. The most obvious reason why is that this closes the end openings. Without the caps, dust, dirt, all kinds of germs, hair, skin cells, lots of stuff can get stuck in the end openings.

You are right that some caps can cause a slight negative reflux. It is ideal to use a neutral one if possible. If your home health company only provides negative caps, you can compensate by using a "positive pressure flush technique".

Basically, you clamp the line WHILE you flush the last cc of saline or heparin. So the syringe plunger never quite meets the bottom, you clamp off first. This is what I do.

Hope that helps.

poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, very helpful. Glad you are around and still posting. And that your home life improves, or is improving.
Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement