LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » nausea, dizziness later in day next day after drinking?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: nausea, dizziness later in day next day after drinking?
Kaseyyy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kaseyyy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
today at work, i got really dizzy and nauseous and felt like i was going to pass out more than usual. lately this happens after i drink alcohol, but it happens later in the day the next day. any ideas? could this be that i can't tolerate alcohol as well because of lyme?
Posts: 315 | From Allentown | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Kasey,

I'm so sorry that you have not yet received the very important detail that those with lyme should have zero alcohol.

This is beyond not being able to "tolerate" it. There are so many reasons for your reaction and it is typical but the bottom line is that alcohol just can't be something to expose yourself to until you are well into a nice solid remission.

If that's hard, there are ways to get help around this. Just, please for your own safety and not to ruin any chance of having treatment work, please just don't touch that stuff again until fully well.

Your liver; your brain cells; your nerve cells; your gut lining . . . just can't handle the caustic nature of it. It's toxic. Sorry.

Do you need some ideas for fancy beverage options? For relaxation? For pain relief? If there is a reason for reaching for alcohol, there are other ways to fulfill your needs.

Also that it hits you later in the next day, adrenals seem to be involved. Alcohol can really stress and damage adrenal system of those with lyme.

And, a BLOOD SUGAR DROP, too, sounds likely. With lyme, chances of diabetes increase and the stress on the pancreas is rough. Sounds like maybe you needed more / better food throughout your day.

There is little that can undo damage from the kinds of blood sugar spikes that alcohol does - but being sure your complex whole food choices are healthful and also nicely placed all throughout the day is good.

You may have missed an afternoon snack and after a blood sugar hit, that can be even harder on the body.

Be sure your liver support is on board today, too.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/131081?#000002

Topic: Beer, Wine - Why Alcohol Does Not Mix with Lyme

Included here, (and sure wish you had seen this before finding out the hard way) from Burrascano's Guidelines:

"CERTAIN ABSOLUTE RULES MUST BE FOLLOWED IF LYME SYMPTOMS ARE TO BE PERMANENTLY
CLEARED:

1. Not allowed to get behind in sleep, or become overtired.

2. No caffeine or other stimulants that may affect depth or duration of sleep, or reduce or eliminate naps.

3. Absolutely no alcohol!

4. No smoking at all. . . . (etc.)
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i cant touch alcohol.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeast will kick in later .. so you've probably aggravated the candida.

Do pay attention to what Keebler posted.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaseyyy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kaseyyy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm driving myself crazy looking into things that can cause a constant weird head / lightheaded / dizzy feeling. how can i know it is not pots, a neck misalignment, tmj, blood flow, inner ear, visual phoria, food sensitivities causing it? it really stresses me out thinking about all these things i could have.

also maybe i have gastritis too? but wouldnt that make my stomach hurt and cause nausea right in the morning?

do you recommend i rule out all these things or treat lyme first?

keebler, for possible candida should i avoid all grains and sweet potatoes, or could i have a little bit a day? what about dairy and yogurt?

Posts: 315 | From Allentown | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeast is the most likely and a great place to begin. Quit worrying about other things.

You could eat small amounts of grains but you will make progress more quickly eliminating them. You should try it for a few weeks .. you will know within a week if that is it.

Yeast loves dairy .. yogurt is counter-productive as it contains sugar, but a high quality low sugar variety could work.

Your three main symptoms sound exactly like candida.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
So, you have not started treating lyme yet?

if you have been diagnosed with lyme and you are not treating, you can't go chasing all the symptoms you list if lyme is not being addressed. And there are some key nutrients unique to some of these, too.

Diary? It's best to avoid.

Sauerkraut is a better probiotic. Miso, too. Just be sure it's gluten free.

As for foods, my thoughts differ from some others here but from experience and reading, I do think it's vital to include some things like darker rices, millet, quinoa in moderation. These will help control blood sugar stability.

But a tiny amount if you have candida. Also be sure to take something like Olive Leaf Extract to address candida.

As you have not yet started treating for lyme, you may not be dealing with candida - but you could - anyone can. Certainly now is a good time to start the anti-candida measures.

The WHOLE very dark rices are the best regarding glycemic index, even recommended for diabetics. Because of their low glycemic index, I do not think they will be too problematic in TINY amounts as part of a larger meal if you have an anti-candida herb on board constantly.

Wild Rice is excellent as is Black Rice. But a tiny amount like 1/4 cup will go a long way with LOTS of good vegetables, protein and little good fat.

Avoid flours, though, make sure anything is whole grain and cook it yourself. Avoid any fast cooking rices.

If you have a winter squash or yam or potato, keep it to a little bit with other kinds of veggies the main attraction. Every vegetable has a unique combination of nutrients. It's important to get a very wide variety.
-

Kaseyyy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43797

i was on diflucan for a month and it did not do anything. could i include sweet potatoes and very little berries / green apples?

i know milk is a common allergen so i was not sure if i should just eliminate it totally. maybe try some vegan casein free cheese? it would make sense to eliminate milk, since it is hard to digest, along with grains. just confused on the gray areas of the diet.

i dont know if it is exactly constant lightheadedness/dizziness but my head does feel off all the time to me. i also feel less real especially at work when it is busy.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Milk causes phlegm. That's the major reason to avoid it. Phlegm harbors all kinds of germs and the respiratory systems and gut can really hold a lot of phlegm. And, so many other reasons:

http://tinyurl.com/obow8h5

Got Milk? Might Not Be Doing You Much Good

- by Aaron E. Carroll - The New York Times - Nov. 17, 2014

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/07/got-milk-you-dont-need-it/?hp

Got Milk? You Don't Need It

By MARK BITTMAN - The New York Times, July 7, 2012

and follow-up to that:

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/24/more-on-milk/?ref=opinion?hp

July 24, 2012

More on Milk

By MARK BITTMAN -The New York Times

Sidebar: When a lifetime of suffering, medical visits and prescription drugs can be resolved with a not especially challenging dietary change, a certain amount of retroactive frustration seems justifiable.

Not surprisingly, experiences like mine with dairy, outlined in my column of two weeks ago, are more common than unusual, at least according to the roughly 1,300 comments and e-mails we received since then.

In them, people outlined their experiences with dairy and health problems as varied as heartburn, migraines, irritable bowel syndrome, colitis, eczema, acne, hives, asthma (``When I gave up dairy, my asthma went away completely''),

- full article at link above.
-

Kaseyyy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43797

so could i have say, a sweet potato for lunch and possibly a SMALL 1/2 cup serving of rice at dinner? and NO tortillas or bread at all? i bought hot rice cereal in the gluten free section, could i not add honey to it?

also found paleo non grain snacks at my store but they have honey listed

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
This explains it far better than I can:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=faq&dbid=32

What Is the Glycemic Index (GI)?

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=faq&dbid=7

A New Way of Looking at Proteins, Fats and Carbohydrates

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1936608677/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1936608677&linkCode=as2&tag=glufrecat-20

LADLED: NOURISHING SOUPS FOR ALL SEASONS

- by Kimberly Harris (December 18, 2012)

over 50 reader reviews, a near perfect composite 5 star rating.

One reader notes: "Conducive to almost all specialty diets out there! GAPS, Paleo, vegetarian, gluten free, dairy free, real food......you name it, you will find a lot on this book for you."
-

[ 11-23-2015, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

ClemMcGruder
Member # 47073

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ClemMcGruder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am new to having chronic lyme (currently on 3rd round of doxy). Knees are falling apart, joints in general and recently my hands hurt and feel arthritic among a host of other symptoms.

Anyway, the reason I am replying to this post is I had a strange reaction with alcohol.

I am not a regular drinker, have always had bad and easily acquired hangovers and can tend towards over consumption when I indulge (even a couple beers or couple glasses of whine can whack me for a couple days). So I try to mostly abstain in general.

About 6-8 weeks ago after the end of my second round of doxy with no noticeable relief my cousin who is a big drinker came for am overnite visit from Australia. Ive only met him 3 times in person and decided I would "party" with him.

We drank a TON. First we drank over a pint of Irish whiskey. Then a mess of beer (light stuff that is 4.5 % or something), then we drank 3, yes 3 liters of high alc red wine and when the wine was gone a bit more beer.

We were both beyond smashed. I woke up feeling not particularly bad. I kinda knew this meant I was still essentially intoxicated and that the hangover was going to come later as my body detoxed.

I woke my cousin up who looked like death, was suffering from drinkers remorse and apologizing for how drunk he got and for nocking half the art off the walls when he got up smashed and couldn't navigate his unfamiliar surroundings and find the lights.

We had a few hours before his train back to NYC was coming and decided to try and go to FDRs House and some other historical mansions in the area.

I was figuring this was going to be AWFUL and painful as the day before my knees were killing me, popping, crunching and just sore as hell (never had any knee issues before lyme diagnosis and the 10 days in bed feeling like death with 104 fever.

SUPER SUPRISINGLY!! Although feeling pickled my knees and other joint pain did not cause me any issue and we walked quite a lot around these huge properties. I told my cuz that perhaps I had found the cure to Lyme (drinking until nearly being clinically alcohol poisoned). He told me I was still just feeling an anesthesia effect from the booze.

Before we went to the FDR we stopped at a gas mart and got two giant cans of hieneken beer that are like a pint and a half (he wanted some hair of the dog). Later at the train station we went to a restaurant and he had some wine and I had a pint of some pumpkin beer.

Eventually the hangover did in fact catch up with me and it was one of those 4-5 day jammies that feel like radiation poisoning (WHY I ESSENTIALLY HATE AND AVOID BOOZE).

The shocker and counter intuitive result was that although I felt crappy and my bowels were upset my joint issues and other lyme stuff DISSAPEARED.

To the point where after my prolonged hangover I was even able to do a somewhat strenuous hike. Things stayed this way (remission?) up until about 2 weeks ago when my symptoms slowly reappeared, I went for my 3rd blood test which was positive and I am currently into my third round of doxy (5 days into a 14 day scrip).

I AM NOT IN ANYWAY SAYING I THINK this is a good idea. I also realize this could be total coincidence. But it was such an on off reaction. I had essentially warned my cousin that when he came we may not even leave the house and I was essentially useless because of my symptoms. But I told him I would knock a couple back with him as my scrip had finished.

I am SURE that in general Alcohol is not something that anybody with any serious illness should indulge in. However I do wonder if essentially poisoning ones self to a huge extreme with ethanol doesn't have some kind of chemo affect on the spirochete. OBVIOUSLY even if this were true it isn't a very long lasting remedy as I am symptomatic again and joints feel even worse.

I must admit however that for the sake of "science" and my own curiosity, the thought of trying an epic binge again and seeing If I had similar results has crossed my mind.

I obviously cant do it now on antibiotics and I cringe and shiver at the idea of riding out that type of brutal hangover that leaves you feeling not just physically sick but throws your neuro transmitters out of kilter for a good long while as well.

I do have a hunch that giant amounts of ethanol temporarily messes with this organism. As I said, not of any therapeutic value I'm sure but a curiosity none the less. If I didn't hate being hungover and getting that intoxicated I would try it again if the doxy doesn't help like it didn't the first 2 rounds I took.

Just putting my experience out there and not advocating anybody risk alky poisoning or compromise their system in anyway, risk falling down the stairs and all the stupid stuff that comes with ingesting a solvent to tweek your brain chems.

Posts: 1 | From NY | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have periods when I could drink from sunup til I hit the covers at bedtime and not feel drunk or sick- and that was over this past year!

I know... keebler please don't be mad at me [bow]

I am one of those that SOMETIMES searches for things to make me feel immediately 'better' or take me away from reality. so to speak. yes, it is a weakness. yes, I feel bad about it.

OTHER WEEKS/ days, minutes- I can have one sip! and feel absolutely terrible. like last night for thanksgiving dinner. I still feel sick from it.

I found wine is absolutely out of my life now too. don't get me wrong as I do have periods of many days/ weeks/ months where I drank no alcohol . I don't know what it is , but it is something related to all of this bugger issues for sure.

I DO agree with keebler that NO lyme person should drink. Ijust seem to really crave it sometimes. my genetic dr says that is becasue I am craving that stuff that makes you relax.... not dopamine, but what is that stuff called.... I probably cannot think of it because I am overly tire and had that alcohol last night!

that is another thing- when I drink my lyme alzhiemers gets worse for days.

kaseyyy- did you get lyme treatment yet???

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement