LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Levaquin, Bartonella, Brucella

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Levaquin, Bartonella, Brucella
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SickSam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm seriously considering Levaquin to treat Bartonella/Brucella.

I hate the quinolones, but I think I've run out of options. Bactrim, doxy, mino, and rifampin aren't working, although Bactrim used to work.

Are there any antibiotic options I may be missing? I think I have pericarditis, so I feel like I need "big guns" because I'm so sick. I'm not sure if the herbals would help or not.

I plan on adding in Plaquenil, so maybe that'll help...

Posts: 748 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RC1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RC1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about Mycobutin? It's crazy hard on the adrenals though.

Bactrim doesn't work anymore? I'm asking because I am on it again after 6 months of double dose Mycobutin and Biaxin.

I'm not sure if I still have Bart or if It's adrenal fatigue. My adrenals are trashed. They share the same symptoms.

Posts: 845 | From Northeast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SickSam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bactrim doesn't work for me anymore unfortunately, although it was my miracle drug this time last year. I'm sure no two people's experiences are the same, though.

I've not heard of Mycobutin, I'll have to read about it. I'm not sure I could handle something messing up my adrenals though... I think they're already shot, but I don't have test results to prove it yet.

Last time I checked in February, my AM cortisol levels had fallen by 9 points from what they were just a few months prior. They had been on a downward slide.

Posts: 748 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After I took levaquin and got devastated I found studies that said bartonella never gets cured from fluoroquinolones, it builds resistance.

There was a thread on it awhile back.

I'm trying to find the studies for you, but I ran across these about dosages and resistance:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/734138_6

http://lymemd.blogspot.com/2013/07/updates-antibiotics.html

"Bartonella: Levaquin/Cipro -- largely promoted for the treatment of bartonellosis may not be a good idea. The fluoroquinolones are associated with tendon /muscle/joint pain with the risk of tendon rupture. In a recent patient, the agents caused knee swelling and pain, not tendon pain which resolved with cessation of therapy. More importantly however: Bartonella species may develop resistance to these antibiotics fairly quickly."

Levaquin causes heart conditions, so you might want to consider that.

Azythromycin is one of the bartonella treatments for cats (I had to treat my cat and refused fluoroquinolones).

He was cured with a long duration of azythromycin.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RC1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RC1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a book called "safe uses of cortisol" you should read if you haven't. I'm taking cortef and thyroid support and it helps a tremendous amount.

I think that my adrenals have been a big part of my illness all along. I wish I had addressed them sooner.

Posts: 845 | From Northeast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you ever take Rifampin with a macrolide (zithromax, etc)? I think that is how it is supposed to be taken.
Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordana
Member # 45305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jordana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have an IV option?

There is a sequestered drug used mostly for intra-abdominal infections called aztreonam. It's a "big gun" and it does hit gram negative bacteria. I guarantee none of the bugs that have taken up residence in you have seen it before.

But it is *only* administered IV as it can't clear the gut -- although it does penetrate the gut from the outside in.

Posts: 2057 | From Florida | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Sorry to take so long to reply. I've been really unwell.

I did forget that I've tried Zithromax too, with Bactrim. I took rifampin with doxy. I wish IV were an option but I don't think it will be. [Frown]

One doc says Levaquin is pretty much the last option. Another doc says he's scared of the quinolones. What to do, what to do...

I think I read someone say that mino and rifampin didn't work for them until they added in plaquenil. Maybe I should try that and see what happens...

SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Looks like Dr. J uses quinolones, followed by gentamycin and tobramycin as last-resort measures:

http://lymemd.blogspot.com/2015/03/what-is-bartonella.html?m=1

I've been loading up on magnesium in case I have to do this...

Also RC1, I ordered an adrenal test kit. If things come back abnormal I'll definitely be looking into supplementing. Thanks for the tip! I'll check out the book too.

Dr. H talks in his book about a man who didn't improve until adrenals were addressed, so I'm sure it might be an issue for me as well.

Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I've been loading up on magnesium in case I have to do this..."

I did that. It didn't work. Good luck.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Thanks Judie [Frown]

Honestly, this is giving me tremendous anxiety. Nothing is killing this infection, and the infection is slowly trying to kill me. But the last-resort treatment the doctor prescribed could kill me too. [Frown]

Judie
Member # 38323

I'm so sorry Sam. There are some herbals that are suppose to target bartonella and they are very good.

After my levaquin experience, I stopped all Lyme treatment with antibiotics and focused on healing the damage.

I work with a master herbalist now and am doing much better. If there's a naturopathic school or Chinese medicine school in your area, try to see the top person who uses herbs. A lot of herbal school have a clinic and they're cheap.

The levaquin damage (from taking it only 8 days) was worse than Lyme was for me.

The LLMD refused to believe it was from levaquin and insisted it was a herx. I knew better. It's been over a year of healing the damage from that poison.

Before I started levaquin, I started a thread asking only for positive experiences on fluoroquinolones. I REALLY wanted it to work, but it's a chemo drug.

Ask yourself if you'd go through chemo to heal your infection. Maybe you would. It's a hard decision. You can always go back and take levaquin if herbals don't work.

Good luck!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement