LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Dizzy with coconut oil

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dizzy with coconut oil
jellybean
Member # 16575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jellybean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently read a book "Stop Alzheimers Now" and it talked about all the benefits of coconut oil (great book). So I started the oil and I cannot eat more than 1 tsp BID without getting vertigo, feeling like I'm on a boat in rough seas. Tried 1tsp at breakfast, lunch & dinner but that was too much, especially if I ate it on an empty stomach, so I'm back to 1 tsp with breakfast & 1 with dinner. Been doing this for a couple weeks now and still can't increase without the dizziness.

I use coconut milk all the time in recipes and even buy unsweetened coconut for use in my granola with no problems so I'm pretty sure I'm not allergic.

Theories on this? Killing candida? detoxifying?

Posts: 57 | From oregon | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jellybean
Member # 16575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jellybean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a sidenote, I eat organic, virgin, cold-pressed coconut oil which is what the book recommends.
Posts: 57 | From oregon | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Are you taking any Rx or OTC that is ototoxic? Cross search at Google Advanced search with:

the Rx / OTC name, "Neil Bauman" and "ototoxic"

While I've never had that reaction, anyone can have any kind of reaction to any kind of food. And, it's never good to eat the same thing day in and day out. Rotation is important.

Some may suggest that it has anti-candida properties and that could cause a yeast die off. That would make sense if you have candida as an issue.

Or it just may not be the best oil for you . . . or it could be other things going on at the same time.

This season in Oregon can provoke more episodes of vertigo / dizziness due to the changes in weather, WIND especially (the east winds kicking up from the Gorge make for tougher dizzy spells), barometric pressure, etc.) so keep that in mind.

You might want to try hemp oil. Nutiva is a good brand. Nearly all are made in Canada and nearly all are organic. New Seasons or Whole Foods will carry this, or order via www.vitacost.com or www.iherb.com

Sea Buckthorn oil is another one to consider. From Mountain Rose Herbs in Eugene.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
1tsp -- you mean one TEAspoon, not one TBSP, table spoon, right? If the larger of the two, you might try the smaller one.

Still, might be best to rotate to a different oil for a while and do a "test" run after a couple weeks again with just a little coconut oil to see if your body likes it or not.

You might also just try a skin test for a tiny patch on your forearm. Just curious. If you react, that could say a lot. If not, though, not conclusive for how it would or would not be for you as food.

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
As you are taking this for the brain, the other oils I suggest are good for the brain, too.

https://store.nutiva.com/cold-pressed-hemp-oil/

Nutiva Organic Cold-Pressed HEMP OIL

. . . cold-pressed and unrefined. Just like hemp seed, the oil contains the ideal 3:1 omega-6 to omega-3 ratio. Unlike flax, hemp has valuable Super Omega-3 (SDA) and Super Omega-6 (GLA), which can help the body metabolize fat. . . .

OUR HEMP PRODUCTS ARE:
Certified organic and non-GMO
Made from raw hemp seed
Gently cold-processed
Unrefined
Never hexane-processed
Always chemical free

8 fl oz Glass $7.99

16 fl oz Glass $15.99

http://www.seedguides.info/hemp-oil/

Hemp Oil - About

From "Public Health Alert" an informational site for those with lyme:

http://www.publichealthalert.org/hemp-oil-for-brain-fog.html

Hemp Oil for Brain Fog

. . . Hemp oil helps relieve brain fog because it contains the right proportion of a 4 to 1 ration of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/products/sea-buckthorn-oil/profile

Mountain Rose Herbs - in Eugene, Oregon

SEA BUCKTHORN OIL

. . . It is a concentrated oil, and we suggest to use sparingly. . . .

[I suggest getting a two ounce bottle AND a dropper top for that bottle - order with this. Start with a few drops under your tongue and just let it soak in. Start once a day, then increase slowly. I have taken up to one full dropper about 6 x a day at the most - to help relieve burning mouth.]

Just a start to finding out more about this:

http://articles.mercola.com/herbal-oils/sea-buckthorn-oil.aspx

Sea Buckthorn Oil: This Herbal Oil Gives You More Bang for Your Buck

- on Mercola's website
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
some other oils to consider:

PUMPKIN SEED OIL

WALNUT OIL (and other nut oils, but be careful they are fresh and not allowed to have gotten hot)

OLIVE OIL

http://www.drperlmutter.com/olive-oil-brain-food/

Olive Oil is Brain Food

http://seagateproducts.com/product/291/100%25-Extra-Virgin-Olive-Oil.html

SEAGATE Extra Virgin Olive Oil

[The same people that make the best Olive Leaf Extract, IMO]
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coconut oil is high in salicylates .. Are you having any other symptoms from it?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to start super slow with coconut oil. 1/4 teaspoon once a day and work my way up.

Maybe try cutting way back and starting over slow and take it with food?

Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The active ingredient in the "medicinal food" for Alzheimer's called Axona is caprylic acid which is in VCO.

It is converted in the liver to the ketone called BHB which crosses the blood brain barrier and is used as an alternative fuel for the cells.

http://www.alz.org/alzheimers_disease_alternative_treatments.asp

A "reserve fuel" can be glutamate...not a good alternative, IMO.

Yes, too much too fast = histamine response/major herx from candida die-off. Benadryl will counter.

To clear resistant candida = diflucan (Rx) and Berberine HCL (= OTC, Glycox).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24060867

They work in synergy.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jellybean
Member # 16575

Thanks everyone for their responses. I'm taking 1 TEASPOON BID. My goal is to work up to 2 TABLEspoons per the recommendations in the book written by Fife, ND. I've tried Nutiva & had the same reaction, currently using Costco USDA Organic, cold-pressed, chemical free coconut oil (not virgin though). I'm going to try Jarrow extra virgin next, just to make absolutely sure it's not the oil. And it does seem to have gotten worse when I tried to increase, but also only tried to increase since I purchased Costco brand.

I asked my nutritionist (via her assistant) and she thought it could be a common reaction as the oils in the brain get used to this new fat in the body. The message I received back was something about brain tissue and how it shrinks with age. Adding CO back reverses the process I guess and can cause dizziness... ? something like that... She said to go slowly and take it at night before bed until my body adjusts.

momintexas - did you experience dizziness as well? if not, what other kinds of things? and how slowly did you increase? over weeks or months?

Marnie - I didn't think I have candida problems but who knows? right? probably. [Smile] Your comments make good sense and thanks for recc's.

Keebler - thanks for other oil recc's. I'll look into those since I have to be careful due to gallbladder issues.

I have no other salicylate symptoms or other symptoms. If I don't take coconut oil, I feel fine, no dizziness at all. I'm on no other abx or prescription drugs except some hormones & haven't changed any of those in months. No new supplements or tinctures.

Nemo
Member # 22783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nemo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love tropical oils.

Recently I have had a rough patch with gastric upset, nausea, gas and gas pressure.

It took me a long while to figure it out what was causing my distress.

For a while I suspected I had a H-pylori infection but I decided to start reading labels and doing an elimination diet.

What I discovered was startling.

Once I eliminating all oils from my diet except for olive and canola oil my stomach problems suddenly resolved.

Allergy induced from my Lyme history?

This all reached a head during my initial treatment 5 years ago when I got deathly ill from eating Pistachio nuts.

Oh, yeah, all tree nuts make me ill also so add them to the mix.

Any chance you have developed an allergy to coconut oil? I have read that new food allergies are fairly common with Lyme survivors.

--------------------
Why don't they make Front Line for humans? Think about it!

Posts: 78 | From North Eastern Missouri | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry, I just now saw your reply.

Yes, I did experience dizziness. I did the 1/4 tsp for a week. Then as I was able to tolerate it better, I'd move up every few days.

Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement