LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Good article re LymeMD re Cystbusters

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Good article re LymeMD re Cystbusters
bcb1200
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi folks:

LymeMD posted a new article claiming all we know about Cyst busters is wrong.

LInk is here http://lymemd.blogspot.com/2015/12/cyst-busters-we-had-it-wrong-all-along.html

For those who can't go to the link, here is the text. It is long.

Cyst busters? We had it wrong all along.

Research from Dr. Zhang’s lab at JH shatters many iconic beliefs about Lyme therapies.

We know that Lyme disease, or rather the causative organism, Borrelia burdorferi, is very difficult eradicate. In vitro (in a test tube) it took a combination of 3 antibiotics to accomplish the task. Doxycycline was a requirement. The other drugs are either unavailable or prohibitively expensive, (cefoperazone and daptomycin).

Persistent viability of the spirochete relates to its ability to form round body forms and other pleomorphic variants and to from aggregates of spirochetes protected by a muccopolysaccharide covering. Rather that the terms: L forms, cyst forms and biofilm colonies, Dr. Zhang simplifies: there are two groups,rapidly dividing forms (spirochetes) and stationary forms (persisters).
Cocktails of drugs are needed to eradicate the organism. At this point we know little about the synergy of various combinations.

First off, this is not new, but Lyme does not form L-forms. L forms are bacterial lacking a cell wall, like mycoplasma. Alternatively, some gram negative bacteria, treated with antibiotics shed their cells walls transforming into L forms. L forms cannot survive outside the milieu of the intracellular cytoplasm of the host cells. Lyme spirochetes are encased in a dual membrane, not a cell wall. Although the bacteria may have an intracellular location they are primarily extracellular. Cell wall drugs work because the Lyme spirochetes have something like an internal skeleton comprised of cell wall material, peptidoglycans. Lyme does not form true cysts. The terms round body form and pleomorphic variants is more accurate.

I don’t like the term cyst busters (always reminds me of ghost busters). It may be easier to consider Lyme as a dichotomy of spirochetes and persisters.

I am sorry that I have bored you so far. The rest may be of greater interest.

Doxycycline remains the first line when it comes to treating spirochete forms. Doxy has no impact on stationary forms. You already knew this.

New facts:

Flagyl is not a “cyst buster.” It does not kill stationary forms any better than doxycycline. ( you probably did not know this) This also true for amoxicillin. Ceftin does have the ability to kill both active and stationary forms of Lyme. Rifampin does not kill Lyme by itself but confers persister killing effects to doxycycline and amoxicillin.

I was sure that Tindamax must kill stationary forms. It works so well in the clinical setting. So I asked Dr. Zhang and he responded. Unpublished data show that Tindamax is ineffective against stationary form of Lyme, perhaps slightly better than Flagyl. How could I be so wrong?

Then there is a long list of drugs that kill Lyme better than currently used drugs, at least in a test tube. Two drugs stand out: Diflucan and Artemisinin.

Why do Flagyl and Tindamax work so well? These drugs have excellent penetration into tissues and into the brain. Perhaps this property and synergy explain clinical effectiveness. Tindamax (one of my favorites) is known to concentrate in bodily fluids and tissues extremely well.

Doctors have added Flagyl and Tindamax to Omnicef and Ceftin – for decades, because they are “cyst busters.” These doctors had wrong the whole time. It was always the other way around.

Ceftin remains a highly touted Lyme drug. It is said to be the only second generation cephalosporin that penetrates the blood brain barrier. Omnicef is a third generation cephalosporin, like Rocephin. All third generation drugs can pass through the BBB. Early studies cited in the literature proved that Ceftin was effective in treating early Lyme patients with EM rash. It was not studied for late state Lyme disease, unlike doxycycline.

All cephalosporins do a poor job of getting into the brain. They only penetrate the brain when there is active inflammation in the meninges (lining around the brain). Oral drugs like Ceftin and Omnicef have poor uptake into the brain in patients with chronic Lyme encephalopathy. Tindamax and Flagyl may not kill persisters better than the others but they penetrate hard to reach places including the brain.

Amoxicillin, which like Ceftin/Omnicef does not kill persisters but amoxicillin has slightly better penetration into the brain/central nervous system. I have found it more effective in most patients.

Then we are left with the question: how do we kill Lyme persisters in the brain?

IV Rocephin, with adequate brain penetration does have anti-persister properties. Perhaps IV Ceftin (cefuroxime) Zinacef, works better – worth a try.

Obvioiusly we can’t order IV antibiotics for everybody.

Rifampin crosses the BBB well and should boost the anti-persister effectiveness of drugs such as doxycycline. I have found this clinically to be the case.

Test tube results to not always translate into clinical results. Sulfa drugs kill persister and penetrate well into the brain; clinical efficacy in my practice has been lacking.

What about Diflucan? penetrates well into the brain and kills persisters. Role in Lyme to be determined.

Artemisinin? This drug has a short half-life. This is why a derivative combined with a longer acting agent (Coartem) has greater efficacy for malaria/babesiosis. Artemisinin has fair brain penetration. It has activity against Lyme persisters. Clinical use for Lyme unknown.
We had a lot of stuff wrong but new doors have been opened as the search for the best way to treat Lyme goes on.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, great stuff. Thanks!
Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Thanks so much for posting this, very interesting.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luuluulyyyme
Member # 47217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luuluulyyyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting!

--------------------
The only way out is through.

Posts: 4 | From The South | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nula
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for posting this!

It might be my brain fog, but I still don't quite get it.

So is he saying that, while Tindamax and Flagyl don't bust cysts, they do, in fact, help with the tissue penetration/BBB crossing of drugs like Ceftin and Omnicef?

In other words: Ceftin/Omnicef etc. do the killing of persisters and Tindamax/Flagyl just support these drugs, helping with deeper tissue/brain penetration ...?

Hope this makes sense ... lots of brain fog,

N.

--------------------
I appreciate all your replies. If it takes me a while to respond, it is either because I'm too sick or because I am unable to log in. From European servers, Lymenet is very frequently inaccessible for days at a time ...

Posts: 235 | From Europe | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nula
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Artemisinin is a Lyme drug? So when we take it, and feel we have a Babs herx, we might actually be dealing with a Lyme herx ... What the heck?

It does seem like this is ground-breaking new research!

--------------------
I appreciate all your replies. If it takes me a while to respond, it is either because I'm too sick or because I am unable to log in. From European servers, Lymenet is very frequently inaccessible for days at a time ...

Posts: 235 | From Europe | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember folks, this is all done in a test tube and what happens out of the body (in vitro) doesn't always equate to what happens in the body (in vivo).

But it is good info nonetheless.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began

IgM Igenex +/CDC +

Currently on:

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spiritwalk
Member # 46032

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spiritwalk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I'm currently on Tindomax. Does this mean I should stop taking it, b/c it doesn't work?
Posts: 79 | From Austin | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some quotes from the blog that say that Tindamax and flagyl are very useful:

"Why do Flagyl and Tindamax work so well? These drugs have excellent penetration into tissues and into the brain. Perhaps this property and synergy explain clinical effectiveness. Tindamax (one of my favorites) is known to concentrate in bodily fluids and tissues extremely well."

"Tindamax and Flagyl may not kill persisters better than the others but they penetrate hard to reach places including the brain."

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

quote:
Originally posted by me:
I see this doc and he is amazing. I saw him yesterday. He is keeping me on the Tindamax. Therefore, I'm ASSUMING that it depends on the individual.

NO! Stay on all meds per your DOC. This doesn't mean it isn't working! It just means it could be working in a different way than we expected.

[ 12-31-2015, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: bcb1200 ]

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began

IgM Igenex +/CDC +

Currently on:

Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bcd said.. "Remember folks, this is all done in a test tube and what happens out of the body (in vitro) doesn't always equate to what happens in the body (in vivo)."

I agree 100%. In fact, some test tube results can be non-effective in humans and/or even dangerous.

The info in the article came mostly from Johns Hopkins studies (VERY LIMITED amount of studies) and the researchers do NOT recommend treating humans using that info. A LOT more research needs to be done first.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for no "L-forms"? There appears to be a difference of opinion between Johns Hopkins and Dr. S of ILADS in CA.

"Cell wall-deficient (CWD) bacterial forms were first described in 1935 by Klieneberger, who named them L-forms after the Lister Institute where she worked.74

Subsequent research by Dienes showed that various bacteria could form CWD colonies and then revert back to bacillary morphology under appropriate conditions.75

An extensive review by Domingue and Woody highlighted the extent of CWD morphology in many bacterial strains and the potential role of these mutant bacteria to produce persistent infection and chronic diseases.76

The confusing terminology used to describe CWD bacteria has hindered work in this field. While the term ‘L-form’ or ‘spheroplast’ describes CWD morphology in coccobacillary organisms, the term ‘cyst’ or ‘round body’ has been used to describe similar morphology in spirochetes.76"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3108755/

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement