LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Tick bite time on body for transfer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tick bite time on body for transfer
Bid3
Member # 47299

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bid3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How long does a tick have to be on a person before transfer of its cruddy germs has taken place? The common rule that is often stated is like 12 to 24 hours. Is there any real study that shows how long it takes? Or if it risk based on stage of how deep it has penetrated?

Mythbusters did the 5 sec rule test and found that it was instant if something touch a dirty wet floor. I wonder if that applied to a tick bite?

Posts: 31 | From VA | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 24 to 36 hr rule is most often cited by IDSA types, the CDC, and other uninformed people. This was based on a couple of small rodent studies, small numbers of animals, years ago. And they were talking about lyme, but some of the pathogens carried by ticks can be transferred very quickly, such as Borrelia miyamotoi and very nasty viruses.

For lyme, anecdotally, patients have found it can be transferred a lot faster than the above claims. The tick that got me was on less than 8 hours.

A medical entomologist found that the lyme bacteria can be in the tick saliva in some cases, instead of the digestive tract which requires longer to transmit. If it is in the tick saliva, then it can be injected quickly. Can't look at a tick and know where the bacteria were.

The thing is that nymphal ticks are so small they are often overlooked, so no one may know they have a tick for a long time. And if you find one and remove, there could still be another one attached.

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopingandpraying
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 9256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopingandpraying     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told by one of the top LLMDs that all it takes is 15 minutes!
Posts: 8981 | From Illinois | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
norcal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for norcal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my estimation this time reference is arbitrary at best, I mean come on!

This is science people in the natural world,you mean to tell me (IDSA) that there is NO pathogens in a ticks mouth parts?

Who came up with that theory?

I was bit by a tick two Februarys ago,tick was attached no more that an hour,that's how long I was in the wildlife area I had visited.

Next day,rash,stiff neck and feeling sh$&@-Ty.
Was in treatment again for another eight months after that.

And now am relapsing at this late date. Bummer

So I believe this to be cockamammy,another ploy to keep everyone in the dark as to the real horrors.

(breaking up the post for easier reading for many here)

[ 01-09-2016, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: Robin123 ]

Posts: 342 | From northern california | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Q: How long does a tick have to be on a person before transfer [infections]?

[Totally my own words, gathered from lots of reading, my own experience and, uh, common sense.]

The IDSA / CDC dictate on this is not accurate. And it is ridiculous to think that there are no spirochetes or other infectious microbes in the tick's mouth, especially if such tick has had a previous blood meal.

The reality: Yes, the instant of introduction.

The instant there is a break in the skin from an infected tick (or mosquito) microbes may be introduced to blood and infection can transfer immediately.

Within 12 hours after a bite from an infected vector (even if feeding time might have been very short), borellia can infect the entire nervous system.
-

[ 01-09-2016, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
https://sites.google.com/site/virginialyme/ticks/how-long-to-transmit

Bite Transmission time for Bb and other TBD
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It took way less than 12 hours for me to get infected.

I've been infected twice and both times it had to be under 4 hours.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If a tick crawls across your skin and does its business on you, that can be absorbed. That can pass along other tick borne diseases to you, such as Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.

Handling a tick with your fingers can expose you also.

Good questions you are asking!

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement