LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Desperate for electromagnetic shielding help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Desperate for electromagnetic shielding help
Jubilee
Member # 30343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have extreme sensitivity to EM fields that recently went up in my apartment. Could anyone comment or direct me to a chat room where people might be able to help me?

I put up metal screen/mylar foil (with grounding cords) on ceiling/walls to shield my apartment while I tried to find a reasonable housing alternative.

I've come close to finding another place, but then something became obvious that it wouldn't work (mold, etc.)

I never fully recovered from the last move, and my health was even more fragile here to spend lots of time looking for a new place or being able to consistently act normal to find someone that I could trade my room rent for assistance to the home owner.

I haven't even found a temporary place to help me get stronger to find a more permanent place.

Over Christmas, at least one resident below me added WIFI as my symptoms and the RF meter reading at the floor level shot up.

My thinking symptoms and ability to stand vertical without fainting in a very high WIFI field has become much more severe.

I spent the last few weeks getting mylar blankets (much cheaper from Amazon, but also thinner then brand name from camping store) and area rugs. I put the foil down and the rugs on top and grounded again with alligator clips. The apartment is better, but still far from O.K.

I am still trying to find a way to at least make this short term workable while I find another place.

I had a few questions.

When my friend and I were experimenting with doubling the foil under the rugs as instructed, grounding the foil, and taking meter readings, we noticed something that seemed odd.

Because the cheaper foil is so thin, we measured with two layers and three layers. The readings went up with three layers. We only used two layers. Is anyone able to comment on why that would be?

I realized the importance of grounding when considered trying to put up shield over the window (cell towers outside window.)

I measured RF in front of the window and then again while holding mylar in front of the window. The meter reading went up with the mylar.

It seemed that the mylar was "catching" the RF like an antenna. When I grounded the mylar, the RF reading went down.

On the other hand, I have some concern about grounding anything in my building, because I tried to sleep with a grounding mat one night. I had the grounding pad from years ago.

I wasn't using it, because of concerns about drawing frequencies to me due to electrical errors in the building. But I thought I would try it on the off-chance it would help.

I slept with the grounding pad, and my tinnitus over night shot up much louder and with a unique pulsing pattern and tone that I have never heard before. I'm guessing that you my concerns were correct.

Could grounding the mylar and screen in a building like this create more issues than it resolves? Does it vary with WIFI or electrical use in the building?

I was in the process of finding room dividers that I could back with foil to block the inside wall that I am not allowed to paint/wallpaper.

The cheapest ones that would work are within a few days of (if not already) being out of stock until March. I hope to buy them very soon if that will help.

Tonight, I took readings along the inside wall of the apartment with and without mylar, and the readings at the places that were not as "hot" went down with the mylar.

Strangely, the place along that wall that had the highest meter reading went up with mylar alone or the grounded mylar. If that is correct, than I'm glad I found out before I spent $800 on dividers. Do these readings make sense to anyone else?

On a positive note, I do find water exercise and walking with a grounding strap to be very helpful. I still need to make a major change in my environment.

Can anyone help me with this?

Jubilee

(breaking up the post for easier reading for many here)

[ 01-21-2016, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: Robin123 ]

Posts: 89 | From USA | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pming you -
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel for you Jubilee. Wifi is a problem with apartments. I had an experience with wifi that was pure agony for my brain. You have some good ideas. Maybe that last piece of mylar was trapping in emfs from your outlets, radios, etc (just guessing).

You might want to work on heavy metals too. It has helped me a lot.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dogmom2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dogmom2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a group on yahoogroups called emfrefugee that may be able to answer some of your questions.

Also in northern California,someone named Michael neurert is an expert on emf issues, he has a website called lessemf.com

Posts: 857 | From northern california | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have run into similar issues of putting up shielding and seeing the measurements go up. I wonder if sometimes it might be that the material is catching something that is already inside the home and reflecting it back. Perhaps if the room is not blocking everything enough?

I also tried sleeping while grounded and had symptoms increase. Nothing as dramatic as what you experienced. I wondered if it was from detoxing.

Perhaps your grounding situation is just messed up inside that building, and it is bringing in some bad stuff, which is also impacting your wifi shielding efforts.

I have had good success with using this "microwave absorbing sheet" in an office environment. It acts not as a reflector but as an absorber (converts wifi into heat, but temperature difference is not detectable). It does not need to be grounded.

http://lessemf.com/fabric.html#259

I have struggled so much with this myself, I wish I could answer your questions better. While I have managed success, I really don't know the answers to your questions, and don't have any specific advice other than to keep trying!

Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I lived the same problem (and still am) as you describe.

In my case, I only shielded all walls from cell phone antennas as I live in a house, no immediate neighbor.

I only did that with one sheet of aluminium foil.

I could sleep in that bedroom for years, reasonably well. With the years and increase of antennas, coming then from different directions, I think the foils started to make the situation worse.

I felt awful with them, made them double, to no avail.

I do think that the problem with the foils and stuff that reflect radiation is that in the end they sort of trap the radiation inside, like mirrors, and they keep bouncing.

It's just my impression. I decided to leave the foil in just one wall (so that there was no bouncing effect). The situation improved partially, but I still couldn't sleep well there.

The only place I could sleep was in a back bedroom, with thick walls (brick and stones). It was fine until about last year.

New antennas, this time, not too far from us. I thought some shielding would happen through houses, but the intensity of the antennas in the country side is higher than in the cities, so the in-between houses do not shield.

The only wall that was free of cell phone radiation, now received radiation, exactly where I was sleeping.

My daughter and I started having problems again. I decided to change the strategy: to use aluminium net (for insects) on the walls.

I did mobile structure that I move towards the window to shut it while we sleep. With the net.
It worked well, for a while.

Then again, new antennas, new frequencies, again trouble.

I then DOUBLED the aluminium net, and we are in that stage now. I can sleep better, but it is not like electrosmog free (I just experienced that in Xmas, inside a valley in Italy, no phone worked, no wifi, the quality of sleep is visibly different when there is no electrosmog !!).

Now I am also researching new alternatives for the front bedroom I used to sleep in the past. It is stupid to have everyone in family sleeping in the same bedroom (the tiniest of all), just because of electrosmog.

The house is not ours, so we don't want to invest loads, then move out.

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry I couldnt' finish my post yesterday...

I feel that the metal nets work better than foil because they sort of scramble the waves.

I'm reading a book from 2000, from a German who used the studies done in a German university.

He said, back then: shielding TISSUE (around bed) will work well WHEN you also shield the roof (in case you are on the upper floors).

He said that double shielding works better for tissue.

HE proposed then shielding tissue then another shield on roof. He didn't talk about neighbors, but I suppose it follows same pattern: shield walls and floor, and ceiling if you have neighbors.

He said best shielding materials are metal nets.

---------------------------------
Another hint: the alu foil shall work if we arrive to do a faraday cage, I suppose.

Just try it: one layer of alu foil AROUND your mobile phone. Try to call it, it is dead!!

It is not the shielding effect of the foil, but the faraday cage effect!
---------------

I went to a shop that sells shielding PAINT for the walls. It is not that expensive, but you must earth them.

The guy said NOT to use the house grounding, but make a grounding pole in your garden!

I fortunately live in a house, but I wonder guys in flats......

the copper wire does not cost much though.

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dogmom2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dogmom2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when you say metal nets, do you mean like a screen material i can pick up at home depot?
Posts: 857 | From northern california | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, they are talking about special metalized fabric like this website is selling:

http://www.slt.co/Products/BedCanopies/

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Yes, mosquito nets, made of steel, zinc, brass, copper or aluminium.

There is quite some literature in German about the protective effect. You may need grounding though. Easy to do if you have a grounding pole.

It's been proved to shield A LOT and they cost very little if you go directly to the maker (for construction).

I think though that copper and brass need to have somehow some similar polarization to the frequency you want to protect. While zinc and steel protect anyway.

These fabrics (canopy for the bed) are also good, but the book I'm reading still suggest that it is better to still do a double protection, in case you use canopy and is sleeping on the LAST floor (top floor). He said to protect under the roof too, for extra protection.

I start to believe that a COMBINATION of measures work better. And certainly, materials that only REFLECT may be problematic, as they work like mirrors.

A cheaper solution is then metalic nets, another option carbon painting on the wall, but the quality changes from maker to maker. And they need grounding too.

At least, I hope carbon do not reflect like metal sheets.

http://www.elektrosmog.com/produkte-zum-schutz-vor-elektrosmog/abschirmung-gegen-hochfrequente-strahlung/

It is in German, but the site says that anything with zinc works pretty well (just like an aluminium foil, but with zinc on the walls protect the house very well). I wonder if they won't just reflect though as much as alu foil does.

I bought a blanket (mylar) to test a few days ago, and my feeling is that it is exactly like alu foil: reflecting all the mess around, even if I am using the SHINY reflective side TO THE OUTSIDE.

I suspect that mylar blanket reflects EMRs like alu foil, both sides, and make the situation worse... I do not have a measuring device, just time and sleeping quality can tell.

So far, 2 nights of nightmares for my daughter, and I woke up at least twice in the night, last 2 nights....

I think I have to decide on the paint or the mosquito metal nets (it can be other type of metal sheets, some are beautiful, used by architects, but cost more).

my idea with the carbon paint is to use on wall paper as I rent the house (I can build a light structure of wood and use the painted wall paper).

Here in germany they do consumer tests on painting efficiency and I know a good brand.... I'm just praying this stuff does not reflect like foils....

Brussels
Member # 13480

Jubillee,

I just had an idea for you, I wonder if it will work. Just temporarily, until you find a solution.

I woke up at 4 am again. Definitively, I'll ripe the mylar blankets from the 2 spots (next to my bedroom).

I wonder if they work as a Faraday cage, the same way as thin alu foil does.

Then you could just make a tent with them?

The idea is simple: like a shoe-box, inverted (lid down, box up).

You place one mylar blanket under the mattress (the lid). Then your mattress on top. The you tie some blankets to make a tent, not leaving any place open.

Theoretically, the shiny part to the OUTSIDE, so that it makes a faraday cage.

You can try to measure with your emr device or call your cell phone inside the tent?

The problem would be how to breathe though. I suppose you can just put a kitchen paper roll to let air in, without breaking the faraday cage effect?

I would love to know if this works. You have a measurement device, it would be perfect to know!

This would be the cheapest and fastest solution for desperate cases, even if temporary.

Look, my daughter was not ill for ages, and since I put the mylar blanket on the wall next by (just 3 nights), today she got ill. Maybe a coincidence, but I won't wait to see. I had 3 bad nights, and it can only be that... It does reflect the radiation, I believe.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement