LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Gabapentin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gabapentin
DanP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7501

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DanP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So the neurologist after reading my symptoms list
And listening to me talk about the lower back pain and the buzzing

Prescribed Gabapentin

Not giving the Lyme connection much credence

Of course as I expected

So anyone have experience with Gabapentin?

Posts: 277 | From NY | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gabapentin is Neurontin.

Many of us were given that. It made me so dopey I could never get to a high enough dose for it to help me. It is to help with nerve pain.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Even at very, very low dose, it caused me much injury from falls. It makes vertigo so much worse but also really turns the leg muscles to jello. It was impossible to feel awake during the day, even with just a dose at bedtime.

Very much, then, that is all a very depressing state with the dizziness dictating every minute.

There are far better choices but mostly in the herbal support area to help decrease inflammation, thereby helping to decrease pain but also some attention to the nerve endings with other things that support myelin sheath around the nerves.

Berberine helps me the most there.

Magnesium is also absolutely essential and may be a wonderful turn around to a nice degree.

Still, unless the underlying cause (whether lyme or othet chronic stealth infection) is directly addressed all the support in the world can't do much.

These infections can cause the nerve fibers to be very much inflamed, decrease the myelin sheath coating of the nerve fibers and

when the liver / kidneys have to carry a high load of toxins from infections (when the gut is inflamed it can't do it's job well, either so the liver / kidneys have it harder) . . .

all that increase pain. Liver / kidney support often really helps with comfort level. Not pushing "detox" but by supporting the detoxification organs' function to do that as it should.

Still, not enough if the infection(s) not directly addressed. If you have trouble finding a LL doctor and getting assertive treatment, maybe a rife machine or some other method such as Buhner outlines in his books?
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
CELL PHONE

For lower back pain / buzzing . . . do you carry your cell phone in your pocket? If so, it would be good to keep it as far off your body as possible.

I would like to think the neurologist asked you this as the very first question. Would. Like. To. Think. Because it matters so much. Cell phones in pockets can cause irritation to nerves in legs and hips.

Also, cranial sacral therapy might be of good help if something is out of alignment but not just any chiropractor or osteopathic. UPLEDGER is a gentle to the spine for lyme method.

FELDENKRAIS good for poster / ergonomic assessment.

YOIR SHOES matter greatly, too. With good arch support, even at home.

Hope some of this helps.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Forgot about massage therapy and myofascial release - as part of physical therapy or massage.

Ultrasound therapy has always been helpful to me for pain in a certain area. That would be with a physical therapist. Yet, a full body massage has been the most helpful, weekly, when that's been possible.

You might have family or friends who would be willing to learn some basics with a few instructional sessions with a LMT (licensed massage therapist) as adjunct care.

IMO, we should all have been instruction in a certain degree of massage from early age so that we could better soothe ourselves and others in our close circles. Massage has been the single most helpful hands on treatment regarding pain relief and far better than drugs to mask the pain.

The physical tissue needs to be worked to reduce stagnation & massaged so that it can have better circulation.

You might try at home LED &/or pulsed treatments. Google: SOTA LIGHTWORKS
-

GMO Amigo
Member # 46949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GMO Amigo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan, I would echo the other posters. A previously undiagnosed friend who has Lyme was on Gabapentin for several years. It was very hard for her to quit. Search engine this. Many people take a year to ween themselves off of it.

Also, gabapentin has been known to drastically reduce your biotin (vitamin B7) levels, which is a key contributor to nerve health.

Good luck.

--------------------
Dx: CDC+ 06/2014
Tx: Texas a&m Hyperbaric protocol,
Months of IV chelation for lead,
Tesla Wand

Posts: 12 | From West Coast | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SwissPiggy
Member # 47413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SwissPiggy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dr. Prescribed this a few weeks afo and I am apprehensive about trying it because I've heard much of these bad side effects. Has ANYONE had good results from it??
Posts: 27 | From Nor Cal | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DanP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7501

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DanP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't start taking it...I am very suspicious of his recommendation because of his inability to even consider the history of Lyme infection and the family history of Lyme and its neurological impact on us

I went to see him bec my GP wanted me to but he's not an llmd either

Today is a bad day with the back pain and tightness but I had a good day the day bef yesterday

Although yesterday noon was awful

I'm going to stop all herbs and vitamins starting now and see how I feel over the next 3 days and then introduce things that are supposed to be anti inflammatory one by one over 3-5 days to see what might work

Thanks for your feedback

Posts: 277 | From NY | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would try upping your magnesium intake .. even try epsom salt baths.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
droid1226
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't not take it because he's not making the lyme connection. If your in a lot of pain or have a lot of neuropathy, maybe try a small piece of one.

I took it for a yr at max dose, I felt nothing. Maybe some placebo. Idk. Then I stopped no problem. Obviously it's different for everyone.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/droid1226/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=123746;p=0

Topic: MAGNESIUM - Informational Links set

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030792;p=0

LIVER & KIDNEY SUPPORT & and several HERXHEIMER support links, too.

Also very important for pain relief.
-

TxCoord
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TxCoord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been taking Gabapentin for about 3 years. I take one in the morning and one at bed (300 mg) and can take a third at dinner if things act up.

It was given to help "diabetic neuropathic pain in feet). It's hard to tell if it helps or not because my toes feel like I'm constantly walking in sand.

Haven't had, as far as I can tell, any adverse effects, but then, as others have pointed out, everyone is different and react to meds differently.

--------------------
I have a good time wherever I go!

Posts: 665 | From Lost Wages, NV | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had taken it in the past to help with nerve pain and sleep. Found benefit from 100-300 mgs/day. Would take it at night with slight AM hangover but nothing too bad.

For me it certainly helped for the short term.

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement