LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Done with abx, stomach is a mess

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Done with abx, stomach is a mess
lea
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After six years on antibiotics, I am done with treatment. Now my stomach is messed up. I go between being bloated and gassy to constipation to diarrhea to normal. Everyday is different. I've been off antibiotics for about six months now. Any suggestions, beside probiotics, to ease the gut issues?
Posts: 146 | From California | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you watching your intake of sugar, fruit, starches?

Moving to Medical Questions...

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kah419
Member # 31572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kah419   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may want to consider testing for small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO). I have similar symptoms and was just diagnosed recently by my LLMD.

It requires a breath test to diagnose. I did my test through Commonwealth Labs, but I believe there are other labs that do it as well.

They offer 2 versions of the test - the glucose test or the lactulose test. My LLMD wanted the lactulose version because he felt it was superior/gives better information.

I hope this information helps.

Posts: 26 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is also the possibility of lyme affecting the nervous system to the digestive tract.
Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be careful of the "cure" for SIBO if it involves Xifaxin. It made me way worse.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lea
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't really been watching my intake of sugars, which definitely can be the problem. The holiday sweets really did me in this year.

I did have problems with my stomach related to lyme, which manifested as nausea. This feels more digestion related, but could be related to lyme.

Or it could be related to the antibiotics. I don't know.

Posts: 146 | From California | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordana
Member # 45305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jordana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had diarrhea for just months, the scary painful kind. Miserable, couldn't plan to go anywhere, etc.

Turned out my gallbladder had quit and nothing was better until I was prescribed Colestipol ( which is a toxin binder anyway.)

Talk about a quality of life improvement.

Have you gotten your gallbladder checked? Lyme adores the gallbladder and some Lyme meds cause stones.

Posts: 2057 | From Florida | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluelyme
Member # 47170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Slippery elm, dgl , l glutamate , aloe vera gel, have you treated parasites

[ 02-20-2016, 01:00 AM: Message edited by: bluelyme ]

--------------------
Blue

Posts: 1539 | From southwest | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HMF Replete healed my gut after antibiotics. I was suffering for 2 years till an ND introduced me to it. It's a probiotic, but is specifically for if you've taken antibiotics.

L-glutamine (5mg) in the AM before food also helps heal the gut.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just drop the abx. I'm amazed to see people survive so long on abx, without further damage.

Just shift to herbs, other energy treatments, whatever. It takes very long to heal a damaged gut.

Very long, and adding more abx will not do good, long term.

And next bite, you got to start again, right?

It's the immune system that must heal. Abx does zero to build your immune system.

On the contrary, they destroy good gut bacteria, make digestion worse, and no matter what you take later - remedies or food - you may have trouble absorbing them, because the gut is more dead than alive...

For kids, long term abx is really bad. They are growing, they need a healthy gut.

We only really improved when we stopped taking abx. It was slow, but at least, we improved.

There are so many alternatives to abx, and most people who heal, do not heal with abx-only.

Other therapies help them, you just can see for yourself in success stories.

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People on this forum should not be giving medical advice. Telling them what to do is dangerous. You are not a doctor. Makes you responsible for the results. And you don't even know these patients or anything about their cases. Tell them what worked for you but don't tell them to do it!

This is irresponsible.

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by poppy:
Tell them what worked for you but don't tell them to do it!

I think this is implied since we are not doctors.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It might help to go to a functional medicine doctor who can run some stool tests and other tests to see what's actually going on in your gut. It can be infection, parasites, candida, bad bacterial balance, histamine intolerance, etc. If you don't have someone test you, then it's just guesswork.

L glutamine is a good gut-healing product, but those of us with histamine intolerance are often intolerant of it, especially if you have an MSG allergy. My doctor and I had to find other ways to get my glutamine up (I used glycine sticks).

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lea
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15593

Thanks. I just recently moved to somewhere pretty rural, so I am trying to find a ND/functional med doctor in my area.
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Making *I* statements is always a good idea.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's going to be a gut microbiome online summit Feb 29-Mar 7 - google for it - around 30 experts talking about gut health - can be very helpful to us -
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amberlin96
Member # 11535

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amberlin96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Poppy, I totally agree with you. The Lyme itself can certainly affect the gut. Before any antibiotics my gut is literally what led to my diagnosis. I was hospitalized with the GI issues (lost 30 pounds in a month) and they didn't find much of anything (GI Doctor ). This was BEFORE my Lyme diagnosis and BEFORE any antibiotics. After rejecting the meds the GI wanted to put me on, I went to visit my grandmothers doctor and that's where I got my test cdc positive Lyme dx. My point is it's not always the antibiotics causing bowel issues.

--------------------
Ill since 1998
DX 2005

Posts: 93 | From tampa, fl, usa | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement