LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Recomendations for magnesium supplements?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Recomendations for magnesium supplements?
missday
Member # 44591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

I want to load up on magnesium before starting some potentially tendon damaging antibiotics.

I know I've read that some kinds are more absorbable / effective than others but i can't seem to find those threads any more (or did I read it somewhere else? Its hard to remember through the brain fog.)

Any feed back is helpful.
Thanks!

Posts: 12 | From New York | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Here you go. When you "load up" just want to be clear that you mean get your supply in order - not load up your body, literally, as too much magnesium at one time can damage kidneys - and a full day's supply at one time cannot be absorbed and stored. Like food (that is is), it needs to come in increments.

Rather than "load up" just keep a proper supply going. A full day's amount needs to be divided by 3 or 4.

An INTRACELLULAR red blood cell test will help you determine your needs.

More detail here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=123746;p=0

Topic: MAGNESIUM - Informational Links set
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a quote from the Burrascano Guidelines re the brand of magnesium he recommends. I bought the Mag-Tab and I can see that it IS better than what you buy on store shelves.

"The best source is magnesium L-lactate dehydrate (“Mag-tab SR”, sold by Niche Pharmaceuticals: 1-800-677-0355, and available at Wal-Mart). DO NOT rely on “cal-mag”, calcium plus magnesium combination tablets, as they are not well absorbed. Take at least one tablet twice daily. Higher doses increase the benefit and should be tried, but may cause diarrhea. In some cases, intramuscular or intravenous doses may be necessary." (page 28)

http://www.lymenet.org/BurrGuide200810.pdf

I just go to the Niche website and order it online. It is quick and easy.

And, here is a page from a lyme book that tells you how much mag to take and the timing while taking Levaquin, etc.:

http://www.lymebook.com/antibiotic-treatment-for-babesia-bartonella-ehrlichia-co-infections

And, here is a LymeNet thread on the topic:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=130481;p=0#000010

I have also tried Natural CALM. You can find it in health food stores.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ones that are a powder that you have to put in hot water to activate are better than the pills - in my opinion. If you take too much magnesium, it can give you diarrhea. It's not generally harmful but it can do that. Epsom salt & magnesium citrate are laxatives.
Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the ReMag by Dr Carolyn Dean. You can find it at www.rnareset.com

Get the ReMyte also so that your minerals will be balanced.

My other go-to is KAL Mag glycinate and/or Vital Nutrients glycinate and malate formula.

I also use mag oil.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96227 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
missday
Member # 44591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for your notes and for pointing me to so many resources.

Keebler thank you for warning me about kidney damage. By "load up" I did mean that I want to start on Mag supplements for at least a week before starting Bactrim. But I hear you that it is important to does low and in small increments through out the day.

I make kidney stones, so I don't want to add any additional stress to those important organs.

Following some of these links it seems that people does in a wide range from a couple hundred to a couple thousand mg a day. I guess I should really get the RBC Mag lab work to know what level I should be working toward.

TF thank you for the link to the breakdown on different kinds of magnesium and what they are good for. That was really helpful, there are a lot of mag options out there and it gets confusing.

[ 02-22-2016, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: missday ]

Posts: 12 | From New York | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like magnesium spray. It completely avoids the digestive tract. [Smile]

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could take a bath in epsom salt, too. Not sure if you mean the magnesium spray is topically absorbed, 6goofykids... There are "magnesium oils" too. I didn't really care for those.

Don't know how one would figure out dosage from topical applications or if that would prevent any kidney issues. I haven't studied it enough.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement