LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone here use fluconazole before?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone here use fluconazole before?
Xelaetaks
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xelaetaks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An llmd prescribed me fluconazole to take before starting antibiotics and albendazole for lyme and parasites.

Has anyone here used it and can anyone advise on side effects and dosing?

Do you think fluconazole can be pulsed, i.e. A few days on and off or does it need to be taken continously?

The llmd I am working with does pretty strong protocols so I'm wondering if the dose on this can be adjusted.

Thanks

Posts: 135 | From USA | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would depend upon how closely you follow an anti-candida diet and how long you are on antibiotics.

It might be OK to pulse it. Let your LLMD handle that.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Diflucan (fluconazole) is often given before starting the patient on antibiotics so that you get rid of any yeast before taking antibiotics. That gives you a better chance of NOT getting yeast overgrowth when on antibiotic therapy.

So, for example, I took it for a week before starting antibiotics with my final lyme doctor who got me cured.

I would not pulse the Diflucan. Take it as prescribed to try to clear your body of yeast. It is hard enough to keep yeast at bay when on antibiotics, so try to start out with NO yeast.

Once on antibiotics, drink kefir daily and eat the anti-yeast diet that Burrascano recommends to keep the yeast at bay.

Diflucan is not an antibiotic, so I would not look at it as such. It is an antifungal. I don't believe it has any side effects (I never had any) except that if you take it month after month, it can be hard on your liver.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Find out from your LLMD exactly WHY fluconazole is prescribed. Some use against lyme may be part of the reason (there is an article about this from a doctor from Germany or a Scanadanavian country, a doctor whose last name starts with an "S" but I can't recall - he also used penicillin with it)

but most likely this Rx is regarding anti-candida measures. If so, IMO, olive leaf extract would be much safer for the liver:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/115457?#000000

OLE Links
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
As fluconazole can be hard on the liver, be certain liver support is always in place, but that's important no matter what protocol:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030792;p=0

LIVER & KIDNEY SUPPORT & and several HERXHEIMER support links, too.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://forums.prohealth.com/forums/index.php?threads/diflucan-protocol-for-lyme-disease.121193/

A New Approach to Chronic Lyme Disease

05-05-2005 By Jill Neimark - ImmuneSupport.com

Interview with a German physician specializing in internal medicine, Dr. Fritz Schardt

Excerpt:

. . . JN: Tell me your reasoning as to why diflucan might work in chronic lyme.

FS: There are several reasons. First of all, it inhibits an enzyme called cytochrome P450.

This is an enzyme that your liver, for instance, uses to detoxify chemicals and drugs. Borrelia has a very primitive p450 defense, so if you inhibit it, it is easily weakened.

Therefore I believe that diflucan inhibits the growth and replication of borrelia. It does not necessarily kill it. In addition, it penetrates well into the cells and into the nervous system and brain, where borrelia may hide. . . .

. . . FS: Right. In addition, diflucan has a slow half-life so it can slowly build up in your bloodstream. Sometimes patients call me after a few weeks and say they are feeling very ill on the protocol.

Perhaps it’s a herxheimer, or perhaps it’s that the levels of diflucan are higher than they can tolerate. So I say, take a 3 or 4 day pause, and then go back on the protocol. This is perfectly acceptable. . . .

[Full article at link above. Then search all you can on the doctor. He did this protocol multiple times and his follow up articles add to this. You would also want to put his words into perspective regarding research since it was written ten years ago.]
-

Xelaetaks
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xelaetaks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not on a strict anti candida diet but I do minimize gluten and try not to eat sugar besides fruits and apples, which seem to help my stomach a bit.

I've shown positive for yeast on multiple tests so I think the difuclan is for candida. I did take antibiotics years ago and have taken various anti parasitics and my stomach is pretty messed up so candida seems obvious enough. I've tried herbals and stuff like oregano oil in the past but it has never done the trick. I've also taken olive leaf extract before, but I'll keep that in mind.

It is likely systemic along with lyme and parasites so that's the plus side of the medication for me.

The reason I'm thinking of pulsing is to keep it safer on my liver, I imagine alot of yeast will be dying off. To minimize impact I'm gonna try a sugar free diet for a week or so before starting it.

The doctor also wants me to add in tinidazole and amoxicillin a few days after starting the fluconazole, I'm thinking of doing the flucanzole seperately though (before and after) cause I feel like it is too many medications at once.

She also said to use milk thistle or olive oil with lemon water for detox, but I've felt like it is probsbly safer to take it when on a break from medications

Posts: 135 | From USA | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Not all OLE is the same. Much of it not worth the price charged for grass clippings. Be sure you get the best, such as SEAGATE brand - or others that use the same processing techniques.

ANY change in Rx, any change at all should be run past your LLMD in advance - or during the time if you run into trouble.

There is a reason for the doses, combinations, timing. And it matters. There is flexibility yet that needs an expert's thoughts along with it.

"She also said to use milk thistle or olive oil with lemon water for detox, but I've felt like it is probsbly safer to take it when on a break from medications" (end quote)

You risk HEARING DAMAGE if you don't include liver support.

Milk Thistle is excellent liver support. You MUST take it all during treatment or you risk liver damage - and hearing damage. Just time away from Rx by a couple hours.

All this is explained in the liver support thread.

Liver support is also to help prevent damage from a herxheimer reaction. I would never in a million years consider taking any Rx without some kind of liver support on board.

Believe me (and I don't ask anyone to "believe me" often) you will WANT liver support, in the full scope. It will help you in so many ways.
-

Xelaetaks
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44016

quote:
Originally posted by Keebler:
-
Not all OLE is the same. Much of it not worth the price charged for grass clippings. Be sure you get the best, such as SEAGATE brand - or others that use the same processing techniques.

ANY change in Rx, any change at all should be run past your LLMD in advance - or during the time if you run into trouble.

There is a reason for the doses, combinations, timing. And it matters. There is flexibility yet that needs an expert's thoughts along with it.

"She also said to use milk thistle or olive oil with lemon water for detox, but I've felt like it is probsbly safer to take it when on a break from medications" (end quote)

You risk HEARING DAMAGE if you don't include liver support.

Milk Thistle is excellent liver support. You MUST take it all during treatment or you risk liver damage - and hearing damage. Just time away from Rx by a couple hours.

All this is explained in the liver support thread.

Liver support is also to help prevent damage from a herxheimer reaction. I would never in a million years consider taking any Rx without some kind of liver support on board.

Believe me (and I don't ask anyone to "believe me" often) you will WANT liver support, in the full scope. It will help you in so many ways.
-

Thank you. So it sounds like even with antibiotics with a long half life, taking milk thistle shouldn't be a problem. If that is the case I will be sure to use it in midst of treatments. I will also read the liver support thread.

[ 02-23-2016, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: Xelaetaks ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement