LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Painful Scalp After Hair Coloring?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Painful Scalp After Hair Coloring?
jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwick25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So this is a weird one.

I had my hair highlighted less than a week ago.

I go to an Aveda salon that uses color that is mostly (but not all, of course) natural.

This was the 3rd time I've gotten it done, and I had no issues previously.

Before that, I hadn't gotten my hair colored in YEARS.

The next day - and still today - I noticed a spot on my head that hurts to the touch.

It's not extremely painful, but very, very sore.

My husband checked, and there is no bump, no redness.

He saw a teeny little scratch, but I don't know if that happened before or after the soreness.

The pain is fading but still there a bit.

My concern is wondering if this is a swollen lymph node. If it is, I'm scared about whether that means I might have gotten a bite on my head somewhere.

I feel the pain right on the base of my skull, more on the left side. Kind of a few inches behind my left ear.

Could hair coloring have done this?

Lymph node? Muscular?

Any ideas?

Posts: 711 | From Bucks County, PA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm extremely sensitive to chemicals and to salicylates. Even natural would likely do me in. I can have scalp pain even from shampoos.

So yes, it could cause it.

But I'm wondering if your pain is from lying back in the chair for your rinses and shampoos in the salon?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwick25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh...you mean where the base of your skull meets the edge of the sink?

Hmmmm...maybe. It only hurts on the one side though, and I've never gotten this before.

Have you ever felt pain in just one spot from this?

I wonder...if I had that small scratch on my scalp prior to coloring,

could chemicals have gotten into my system through the scratch? Maybe that infected something?

This morning, even my neck feels a little full ... the way it does when those lymph nodes fill up a bit.

My neck, shoulders and upper back have been very sore, so I wonder if it could also be muscular ... like a pressure point?

I read that certain muscles extend up to the base of the skull.

I had my husband check my entire scalp for any signs of a tick having been there, but nothing.

Thank goodness. But the thought scares me to death.

I'm really hoping that this is something else.

My candida might be flaring a bit as well, as I've been eating lots of bread (stress).

Posts: 711 | From Bucks County, PA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

Doing some research, I read that the dark hair dyes are known to cause more sensitivity than the light colors.

I forgot to mention that - in addition to the lighter highlights - a darker base color was applied everywhere else.

Hoping this is the issue ... and not a bite.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope it goes away soon.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't do coloring at all. even shampoos bother me.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to have a LOT of painful scalp. I don't know if it was caused by coloring. I stopped all coloring during lyme, and I still had painful scalp.

It took years to go off, completely. I think in my case was like infection or toxins or inflammation. Some parts were EXTREMELY sensitive to touch.

I got frightened and avoided any chemical product, not even natural. When lyme went dormant, I started coloring it again (with a somewhat natural product).

I still got sometimes some painful scalp. It disappeared for good in the last year (I think I know why, but it's a guess).

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement