LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » CoQ10 and folic acid bad for babesia?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CoQ10 and folic acid bad for babesia?
ohioperson22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47837

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ohioperson22         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like atovaquone works by inhibiting dihydrofolate reductase, and preventing coq10 from doing whatever it does in babesia.

So, does taking oral coq10 help babesia thrive? And what about folic acid?

Posts: 200 | From Ohio | Registered: Apr 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tulips
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tulips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I know is that COQ10 is taken to protect the heart. Folic acid taken along with Vitamin E stops Restless Leg Syndrome for me so, in my case, I always take COQ10 every day.

I take Artemisinin, Sida Acuta, Alchornea and Cryptolepis to counteract Babesia. I've recently added L-Arginine because Stephen Buhner's books on coinfections list

it as specific for Bart, Babesia and Mycoplasma.

Posts: 653 | From Northern Virginia | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ohioperson22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47837

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ohioperson22         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also take CoQ10 everyday. I don't even know if I have babesia.

Yes, CoQ10 is good for the human heart. But apparently it also is necessary for babesial survival.

Taking CoQ10 can block the effect of atovaquone on babesia.

So just wondering if taking CoQ10 can help babesia thrive.

(as well as all those methylators, folic acid, b12 stuff)

Posts: 200 | From Ohio | Registered: Apr 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
The human body is necessary for babesia survival, too, yet it's important to give it what it needs for nourishment. CoQ10 is important to the strength of the BODY & helpful for cellular repair. In the long run, CoQ10 will help fight infection.

Find some other ways to treat infections besides withholding key nutrients. There are many other approaches.

Best to take Rx away from most supplements, though as most are antioxidant in nature & help the liver better work

and if there is that nourishing food for the liver at the same time as the Rx,

and most, even if for other purposes, other organs, also help the liver better do its work, yet

some Rx can be swept out with that wave that gathers the trash (in the antioxidant function) as the follow up function to its food function, so to speak.
-

[ 05-05-2016, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ohioperson22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47837

Dr. Horowitz says patients on atovaquone can't take CoQ10.

Just clearing that up for people reading this thread.

Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
That's different than avoiding a nutrient across the board. There are potential interactions to consider with each Rx and each supplement we take. And good to point that out. Good to ask our LL doctors about our specific protocols.

Some people (myself, at least) don't do as well with CoQ10 as others do. I find it too stimulating for my body. Others that have similar nourishment work better for me.

My reply was regarding withholding any nutrient that also nourishes us because it might "feed" babesia. I had read the last part of the question in that interpretation but see now that you only wrote "whatever it does" and I may have misinterpreted that.

The concern, though, is not so much with it feeding babesia as with it washing away the Rx too soon and lowering the therapeutic levels.

This is why timing is everything. Keep Rx and supplements separate.

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs050/1101953185050/archive/1101998670215.html

Here, a well respected LLMD discusses antioxidants & Mepron (atovaquone)

March 2008 (so, you'd want to find anything else this doctor has written on the topic since as there may be aspects to this that are seen in a different light now.)

He has a new book coming out any day now, by the way.
-

yancync
Member # 46999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yancync   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting discussion here.

DS had CoQ10 added recently to his list of supplements by his LLNP via phone and after reading mixed things, I decided to give it to him on the weeks he's not on Malarone and withhold it during his pulsing weeks.

I'll ask his LLNP when we go in a few weeks.

--------------------
Parent of teen with late stage Lyme, mycoplasma, bartonella and babesia. Dx Nov '15, in remission early to mid '18.

Started site for parents looking for Lyme/tick info: www.ParentsofLymeKids.com

Posts: 33 | From Northern VA | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ohioperson22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47837

Well, CoQ10 is kind of like sugar, including D-ribose... both humans and microbes need it (and so many other things we take and eat).

---------------------

yancync... exactly as you typed, that sounds like a good plan.

---------------------

I don't even know if I have babesia. I'm getting the FISH and even PCR test through the one website that will order it for you.

My LLMD ordered the labcorp test for antibodies, but thanks to the ginormous panel he ran and the MTHFR turnaround times, I may not have results for weeks...

tulips
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tulips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you find out, could you let us know. It's hard to juggle supplements and antibiotics and/or herbs and know what might interact with what. Good luck to you.
Posts: 653 | From Northern Virginia | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yancync
Member # 46999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yancync   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will try and remember. Going to start a list of questions now so I don't forget.

--------------------
Parent of teen with late stage Lyme, mycoplasma, bartonella and babesia. Dx Nov '15, in remission early to mid '18.

Started site for parents looking for Lyme/tick info: www.ParentsofLymeKids.com

Posts: 33 | From Northern VA | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimmie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimmie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CoQ10 made my babesia come out and caused me to relapse....been fighting babesia for a year now
Posts: 747 | From Utah | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimmie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimmie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you so much for sharing the article regarding antioxidants and babesia....I juice Carrots daily which looks like a fat soluble antioxidant....it said to avoid these when treating babesia so perhaps that is why I am having a hard time with it.....thank you again!
Posts: 747 | From Utah | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement