LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Have you treated Babesia without drugs?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Have you treated Babesia without drugs?
Alisandne
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alisandne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Several years ago my dear cousin, a year younger than I and closely related to me (and we looked alike) experienced sudden liver failure. There was no obvious reason for it, and the doctors labeled it "unexplained."

She had always been the heathiest of us, and it was a shock when she needed a liver transplant. It was an even worse shock when she died the day after the surgery.

Some time after that, a DNA test revealed that my liver was susceptible to damage. I was glad I wasn't much of a drinker, but other things beside alcohol can damage a liver.

So when my LLMD prescribed Plaquenil, I resisted taking it. The possibility of it hurting my liver was too alarming. Then last week he prescribed Malarone. I filled the prescription, but procrastinated about taking it.

Finally decided to start today, but the first thing I read on the data sheet was that it may cause serious or deadly liver damage. And then, "Some people have needed a liver transplant."

That was it. No way can I bring myself to take this pill. The doctor said he would test my liver every month, but serious damage can happen before that, as some travelers have found.

My question to you: Is there something I can do instead? I'm presently taking Doxy and Zithromax. I'd love to be treated with something besides pharmaceuticals, but I'm happy to have at least found a LLMD in this unsophisticated region I live in.

He diagnosed me with Lyme, Bart, and Babs. Initially, the diet helped a great deal, and I didn't start the first antibiotic (Doxy) until I got bronchitis and my tick-related symptoms got a lot worse. I've had very few good days since.

Thanks!

Posts: 117 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MannaMe
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MannaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you take A-Bab, an herbal from Byron White?

My husband used A-Bab as part of his treatment for babesia.

Byron White also has A-Bart and another one for Lyme. I don't remember what that one is called.

Posts: 2251 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is arteminisinin and cryptolepsis (pardon the spelling!) - both are herbals for babesia. Not sure if they would be enough to knock it out w/o abx but worth a try. You'd have to investigate effects on the liver though.
Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluelyme
Member # 47170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Art has to be pulsed from what i hear ..but some one on the other forum did whole herb of sweet annie for a whole year..
.i am curious about this also...its all bout what the liver can detox and enzymes cp450. My llnp want me on alinia?...and i got some csa (crypto sida ,alchorea )...and bvt my help lyse em open... alsoni have heard of peoples liver enzymes restoring to normal from bart treatment ...so infections can muck up the works too...was your cuz diagnosed with anything prior? Meds?...i thought bactim gave me liver damage for a while ..may have just chased bugs there

--------------------
Blue

Posts: 1539 | From southwest | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used Rife frequency treatments to rid my wife of Babesia. She has had no sign of it for several years. Between Lyme, Bart and Babesia, the Babesia was the easier of the three, although that's in relative terms. Still a tough one to totally eliminate.

High fructose corn syrup can damage the liver in some people. Acetaminophen is the leading cause of liver failure.

Dan

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordana
Member # 45305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jordana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've taken sida and crypto and now I have a bottle of CSA which really helps with night sweats, but I just don't think it's enough to really get rid of babs. Once I ran out of those herbs the sweats just started right up again, and I took it steadily for four months.

There are some other babesia drugs I've been researching -- coartem, and daraprim. I don't know their effect on the liver but I know I'm scared of mepron and malarone just based on the side effects.

Posts: 2057 | From Florida | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alisandne
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alisandne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for these responses.

No, my cousin wasn't on any regular meds and hadn't been diagnosed with anything. She lived such a healthy life. Her doctors delved into possible causes and came up empty.

My mother died in her 30's from using carbon tetrachloride, a cleaning product that isn't sold anymore. It was winter, and the windows were closed. The fumes were dangerous, but I wonder how many people actually died, and if my mom's liver handled the toxins poorly.

I haven't taken acetaminophen in years because of the liver connection, and don't consume high fructose corn syrup--although I didn't know it could cause liver problems.

I get a dangerous reaction to anything containing solanine (tomatoes, potatoes, okra, artichokes, etc.) Solanine is a toxin, but present in such small quantities that a normal liver handles it without a problem. But not mine.

Sometimes I think the best thing I can do is build up my immune system as much as I can and hope for the best.

Posts: 117 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymenotlite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33166

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymenotlite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Buhner babesia protocol helped me a lot and may have gotten rid of babs.

Sounds like the doctors killed your cousin.

Posts: 705 | From WA state | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tulips
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tulips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a very important decision for you. I think you should find a top LLMD to handle your case and also have some consults with a good Naturopath before taking any course of action. And when any meds

or herbs are recommended, do exactly what you're doing now and ask the group before taking it - maybe ask several Lyme groups. There are a few other groups too.

Posts: 653 | From Northern Virginia | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alisandne
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27304

Thank you. Yes, it is an important decision for me. Unfortunately, I live in a medically unsophisticated area with only one LLMD about 60 miles away--a kind and caring GP who has gotten sick from tick bites himself. Also unfortunately, my finances are quite limited.

Since writing the above posts, I've had to stop taking the Zithromax. I was having numerous episodes of weaknes where I felt like my heart wasn't keeping up (I don't know how else to describe it), and when I finally thought to take my pulse it was terribly irregular. My first thought was, "What have I eaten lately?" but I hadn't eaten anything different. It was my first week on Zithromax though, so I looked up side effects. Yes, this drug can cause serious heart problems. It also could have caused the knee pain I experienced all week. Who knew an antibiotic could do this? Not I.

Nula
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get thee to Amazon.com ... :-) To buy Stephen Buhner's Babesia book.

It doesn't seem like many Lymenet users have read it.

I came to this conclusion as people on here never talk about it. They mention Buhner's protocol he has online, but the book is new, updated, and in a different league.

Do yourself a favor and buy the book. DON'T assume that you can do the protocol based on the information online.

His Babesia protocol online is outdated and does not even remotely contain the information he has included in his new book.

He explains the entire disease. If I didn't have it, I'd be fascinated. I am in awe of his books. Especially the Babesia book. There are tons of herbs and supplements he suggests for babesia, including, but not limited to, Sida acuta, Cryptolepis and Bidens pilosa.

I have a brutal case of Babesia duncani and can't take pharmaceuticals at this time. My gut gave up on me. If I didn't have the Buhner herbs, I'd likely not be here anymore ...

[ 05-24-2016, 06:18 AM: Message edited by: Nula ]

--------------------
I appreciate all your replies. If it takes me a while to respond, it is either because I'm too sick or because I am unable to log in. From European servers, Lymenet is very frequently inaccessible for days at a time ...

Posts: 235 | From Europe | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alisandne
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27304

Thank you, Nula. Is it Natural Treatments for Lyme Coinfections: Anaplasma, Babesia, and Ehrlichia, published February 2015? If so, I'll order it.
Nula
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it is :-)

--------------------
I appreciate all your replies. If it takes me a while to respond, it is either because I'm too sick or because I am unable to log in. From European servers, Lymenet is very frequently inaccessible for days at a time ...

Posts: 235 | From Europe | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also got liver problems, since lyme kicked in long ago. Lost of pain, and fear that one day, it was not going to function anymore.

Maybe that's the reason I can't tolerate any abx well. I suffer MORE from the abx than from whatever symptoms I'm treating, so I abandoned abx long ago.

And fared MUCH better without them.

I bought a violet ray last year. I've been using it for about 16 months, regularly.

From all treatments I did so far, this is for me the best for my liver and gall bladder.

I also swear by chlorella and MSM. They helped me immensely (herxes), but the feeling of a tight liver, hardened, heavy, only left me since I started the violet ray regularly.

It was immediate relief since the start, but you got to start slow as it may create a herx like reaction.

No bitter herbs in combination, acupuncture, tapping, Reflex massage, homeopathy, nothing really helped my liver to the extent the violet ray did. For the total cost of 25 dollars in ebay or amazon!

I only now realized, because of your post, that that same fear you have now has disappeared for me. I remember feeling scared for my liver and life, and that is why I'm writing you.

I don't know if it will work for you, but it was a blessing for me.

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got rid of it by taking zithromax and artemisinin. It didn't take that long to knock it out.

(I had had many rounds of clindamycin and quinine prior to the zith and art.. but I feel it was the last combo that got rid of it.)

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement