LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Candida diet -- do you cheat?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Candida diet -- do you cheat?
SLH516
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48060

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLH516     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you cheated on your candida diet -- like using salad bar salad dressing that you know probably has sugar in it (it's a shame that something like that sounds like a huge deal), or going out for Chinese maybe once a year (sugar in the sauces, rice, etc.), that kind of thing.

How big of a price did you pay?

Posts: 112 | From USA | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That little bit shouldn't be a big issue.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a good dea to be totally strict for a month or so if you are at the beginning of candida treatment, but over the long term most people could have a small sin if it is not too often.

It does vary from person to person though, so you can only know by testing yourself.

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rice at a Chinese restaurant is going to be white rice. That includes fried rice. White rice is like eating white bread--it all turns immediately to sugar in your body. So, white rice is a no-no.

My lyme doc allowed "a little" brown rice once per week. I didn't eat any.

If you are on flagyl or tindamax, both meds that can really result in bad yeast, then that is NOT the time to cheat at all. That is the time to be totally strict.

Also, if you have candida right now (you see a white coating on your tongue when you first wake up), then that is not the time to cheat at all.

However, if you do not have candida, then you can do a little experiment and try cheating a little to see what happens with you. Everyone is different.

It seems that once a person gets candida, then they struggle with it throughout treatment and the best they can do is try to keep it down to a manageable level.

So, if you have never gotten candida, you can probably not worry about salad dressing (unless it is VERY sweet) as long as you don't use 1/2 cup and do it only once in a month.

So, this will help you to decide how much you can cheat. Just know that once you get candida, then that is the end of cheating.

Once you think about all of this, it may help you to determine that you just will not cheat while you are on heavy-duty antibiotics. To me, it wasn't worth it.

I got candida the first time while with a lousy lyme doc who never told me to be on an anti-yeast diet. Once I figured out that I had candida, a week of diflucan got rid of it.

When I went to a top notch doc and was put on flagyl and amoxi, I found that I could not cheat AT ALL or I would get yeast. Not one bite of a brownie, nothing.

So, after finding that out the hard way, I learned that if I cheated at all, I had to call the doc and tell the office that I had candida again. Then, the staff would ask me what I ate to cause this. Then, eventually, I would get a call back saying that the doc called in an rx for Diflucan for a few days.

Once you go through that embarrassment about 3-4 times, you no longer want to have that conversation. You learn how strict you have to be.

So, perhaps you are just in the learning curve now. After a few times of getting candida, you will then know how much you can cheat. Hopefully, you have an easy time of clearing the candida. Many people are unable to clear it once they get it, and that is the problem. Then, you are on Diflucan or other such meds all the time. That isn't good. Bad side effects. So, try to learn before you get to that stage. I hope you never get to that stage.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding flagyl (metronidazole):

"Yeast overgrowth is especially common. A strict anti-yeast regimen must be followed." (p. 15)

http://www.lymenet.org/BurrGuide200810.pdf

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Unfortunately sugar intake rarely "fools" candida (it's so tenacious) - and there is a shocking amount of sugar in packaged foods. But we've all been there and you just move on from that.

Best if AFTER a meal so that the impact is less and won't cause a sugar crash later. Pick something WORTH it, though, if you are going to rock the boat.

There are OTHER ways to get the flavor and sweetness in your life. MANY other ways. Always. It does take planning ahead for your own variations on things.

Chinese food - call the restaurant ahead and be sure they can either steam your foods or sauté them with zero sauces. There is usually MSG & gluten in those, anyway (and gluten is never something to ever try to cheat).

Take your own black, red, wild (or maybe brown) rice. Do not eat their white rice (as TF noted above). I just froze some cooked black rice and it thaws great - I had a few tricks for that if you want to know more. So plan ahead, cook and then freeze a small jar and then just take that out of freezer as you leave for your dinner out.

MAKE YOUR OWN SAUCE / DRESSING

Study up on kitchen spices & garden herbs - this will open up a whole new world.

I used to take my own sauce that I made at home and put in a tiny bottle. For extra rich taste, could just be sesame oil - or avocado oil - with key herbs and spice, and sea salt. This works exceedingly well. You can make in advance and have travel GLASS bottles in fridge or freezer.

You could sauté an onion and garlic at home and include that in your "sauce" too - especially if your food is ordered to be steamed.

Stevia can be added for touch of sweetness and the zest of a lemon or lime for the tartness.

To get a big place of beautiful veggies and whatever protein you like at the restaurant will still be like getting a meal out - and the addition of your own rice and seasoning will serve your body well.

Usually best to avoid any packaged salad dressing (and other packaged "foods") for about a dozen other reasons, anyway.

Now, as for the word "cheating" in regard to diet, it goes back to the harsh days of dumb diets that were torture. Food should be delicious, and enough to satisfy and fortify.

No food group should be avoided (complex carbohydrates, good fats, clean proteins), only bad products or over processed recipes that have come for some to pass as food.

I've always hated the term "cheating" as it implies I'm a bad child. I do love the word "splurge" and the phrase "nourish and nurture" -

- some things can have an occasional splurge but with GLUTEN & and CANDIDA issues, substitution is the name of the game there. The only wiggle room is to reinvent for your specifications.
-

[ 06-09-2016, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
If at the beginning of attending to candida, this might not be an option. As candida is stabilized, in moderation once in a while.

Black & Wild Rices have an excellent glycemic index and nutrient profile, even suggested for diabetic diets. The high antioxidant and nutrient balance are far different than what we've come to know as rice in the U.S.

The darker, denser naturally gluten-free whole "grain-like" plants [rice is a grass] can help with glycemic stability and help prevent drops with low blood sugar. Keep some in the freezer so that if you have a chance to go out, you'll be prepared and have the extra nutrients to fuel you for the outing.

HOW TO FREEZE BLACK RICE - or wild rice. As a small portion to lots of veggies and good protein.

[I've not tried this with brown rice as it's just too simple of a carb for me. Red rice should freeze well, too.] Oh, wait, I do recall some years ago I did this with brown rice and the texture turned mushy / granular when thawed. I did not like it. Brown rice always made me feel awful, to me, it's not much different than white.

I have found some RED rices to be too "white" so I just avoid them. I tried "Himalayan Pink Volcano Rice" recently. Ick. It's nearly white, too, and very much turns to mush. I stick with the true Chinese Forbidden Black or WILD.

The CHINESE FORBIDDEN BLACK RICE acts very differently in my body, very stable. Wild rice is less starchy than any and has lots of fiber that will just pass through and help your colon.

So, how to prepare for freezer and freeze in a way it will be appealing for a fancy night out.

Cook. Add sea salt and good fat of your choice. Cool a bit. Soon put in wide saute pan in fridge, spread it out so it really cools well.

Next day, divide up into small jars, do not squash it. Every couple hours, take a fork and separate it or shake it so that when it freezes, it won't clump too much. Having the oil added just after cooking helps this effort.
-

[ 06-09-2016, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
This was marvelous regarding clobbering candida for me. A very specific brand of Olive Leaf extract (or a brand that uses the same methods of growing, harvesting, processing) - SEAGATE. Brand really matters so very much.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/115457?#000000

OLE Links
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Oh, just so everyone knows, "Mexican" or "Spanish" Rice in many restaurants is just loaded with gluten (and likely MSG and some sugar, too). I found that out the hard way - after many seizures. They ADD gluten to the flavor packets for thickening. Who would've every thought?

And, often the darker color is not because they use darker rices (as I thought), it's the coloring added.

Best to avoid problems but if there is a problem after eating out, you can look online for foods and maybe trace their ingredients.

In advance, not at the table when ordering. This can be very disruptive and usually just won't work during a busy seating.

Or call the manager during non-busy hours and ask for clarification and how to find out exactly what was in sometime so that you will be better educated the next time / or can avoid problematic ingredients.

I am forever grateful to the manager at a famed burrito place for his help in this way. He opened my eyes.

LYME DIET COOK BOOKS - there are a couple good ones with delicious meals just waiting for you.
-

SLH516
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48060

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLH516     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So much helpful information, thanks! I should've said that I don't have candida, but at the beginning of the diet I want to follow it as though I do, so all of your info is great.

I don't have money for treatment, so I'm going to give the diet and BVT a try and see how that goes. I guess that really means no splurging at all, doesn't it?

As far as the diet -- what do you all follow, since everyone online seems to have their own version with slight variations?

Posts: 112 | From USA | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My candida doctor told me once I was over the cravings from a nonyeast diet, I could cheat once a week and it would be ok.

I think the issue is, if you could handle a once-a-week cheat and stay off for the next 6 days, or whether you'd fall off the wagon, so to speak, and go back to eating the foods that feed the yeast. If so, I'd say no cheat at all.

I was able to do it - choose my once-a-week treat and go back on the nonyeast diet the next day.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

The Burrascano anti-yeast diet is what I followed.

However, I believe the diet is required only if the person is on the Burrascano antibiotic protocol--meaning high doses of a combination of antibiotics.

If you don't have yeast and if you are not on any antibiotics, then you should be able to eat a healthy diet and be fine.

A healthy diet is NOT the Burrascano anti-yeast diet. Burrascano's diet has you avoid all simple carbs. They aren't good for any of us, but if you don't have yeast and you aren't on antibiotics, you could eat some simple carbs I would think.

To fight lyme, eat as healthy as you can--meaning lots of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and beans, seeds, and nuts. Eating organic is healthier than non-organic. Eating non-GMO is healthier than eating GMO.

So, you should be able to eat fruit, for example, where a person on a high-dose antibiotic combo could not. They would risk getting yeast if they ate fruit (other than a few berries at the end of a meal.)

You can also eat whole grains whereas a person on a Burrascano antibiotic combo could not.

Whole grains include brown rice, wheat berries, oat berries, steel cut oats, barley, quinoa, etc.

White flour is not a good food. It has everything stripped from it--the vitamins, minerals, fiber, etc. So, white bread is junk food.

Sugar is not even considered a food, so nobody should eat it. Sodas aren't a food either in my opinion.

Just eat things that are full of vitamins and minerals and don't have additives and chemicals and dyes and poisons.

lymegal23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymegal23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually cheat all the time, however I try to make good health decisions a majority of the time. I never eat white bread or white rice. and I stay away from candy. i do like chocolate every now and then. a cookie or small dish of ice cream. little things like that.

i notice the biggest helper for me when I do cheat is chlorella. i take it EVERY SINGLE DAY. If my stomach starts to feel yeasty, i take chlorella right away. i believe my yeast issue stems from heavy metals from the lyme and die off, so it makes perfect sense that the Chlorella helps with this, since it binds to metals.

The thing a lot of people fail to realize is that heavy metals and yeast are very linked. the body produces yeast in response to heavy metal accumulation. Almost EVERYONE with Lyme and Confections has heavy metal accumulation. addressing the heavy metals is the best way to approach it I think.

Posts: 995 | From somewhere out there | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for willbeatthis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point Lymegal. I can't do chlorella but need to do some binders too. Thanks for the reminder! [Smile] Cheating- well, I tend to pay for it so it's better I don't. I got excited recently as I thought I could handle Kombucha every day. Flat wrong I'm afraid. I started getting a yeast infection and boy am I back on the wagon. I am not on abx but after years of them, I still deal with Candida. Sauerkraut everyday really helps me. Lauricidin too if I am trying to get back to normal. The good news is once you break the sugar habit- I truly don't miss it. Hang in there!
Posts: 859 | From Southeast | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have finally kicked sugar and I feel much better! I do occasionally cheat and have a box of craisins - not because I crave the sugar (got past that) but it's an easy and convenient snack on the go and I haven't found a good replacement yet.

That little bit doesn't seem to hurt me. But I did fall off the wagon over Mem Day weekend with several desserts and felt yucky for a few days.

Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluelyme
Member # 47170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fruit has been a no no ..i was on tinidazole for a bit though...on oure nystatin powder and little bit of diflucan. Fire tree bark was recommended but i may try clotrimazole ..is thst hard to tolerate?

--------------------
Blue

Posts: 1539 | From southwest | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, absolutely (I gotta live)!

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried anti yeast diet a few times. First I feel like dying with zero carbs.

Then I realized, that despite all efforts, candida still stayed.

If you see where mold, fungi grows, it is not only on carbs. They grow everywhere, on the walls, on wood, on clothes, onions, garlic, any veggie etc.

I don't think SUGAR (added sugar) is good to anyone and rarely eat that (because it's not food, it's addictive, it's usually full of chemicals). It makes zero sense to eat added sugar, but of course, I love dark chocolate, and they do have sugar (even if not a lot).

I eat out, and there is sugar there too.

anyway, strict anti yeast diet never really helped me out of candida. I always loved fruits, so I never stopped them.

I always take carbs, even in lower amounts. Taking off carbs is zero warranty that your candida will stop.

The best way with candida, like with lyme, is to treat the milieu (heavy metals, toxins, good nutrition), so that candida decides to be tame and not aggressive. I use homeopathics for that.

Nosodes help me MUCH more than strict anti yeast diets. It's really not comparable!

Just think that yeast grows EVERYWHERE.

Don't suffer too much on these strict diets. If strict anti yeast diet worked, we would have known it.

some people do say it helped them out, but every time I try their diet, somehow, it doesn't fit my body. Take out all mushrooms, for example. What??

Some mushrooms do fight against bad candida, right?

I do not think that what helps one person, will help the other necessarily.

While taking off sugar from the diet helps a little, taking off all carbs seems to me useless.

Of course, eating white carbs is bad choice as it is almost like eating white sugar.

Chlorella has also some anti candida effect. My life would be a mess without it, I agree with upper posters!

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement