LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Gluten and lack of energy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gluten and lack of energy
Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just re-started a gluten free diet about a week ago.

The amount of energy I have has more than doubled.

I am not 'allergic' to gluten, like my daughter was. We thought she was cured.

But then, 2 weeks ago, she went to a school camp and I ordered her gluten free meals (because she can't digest wheat well).

She came back so energetic. She said all kids were having cramps from climbing on walls and trees (it was a climbing camp...), but she said, for the first time in a loong time, she didn't even have cramps or muscle pain!

Last year, she had been eating gluten again, and slowly, her health condition went down... Immunity problems, some fatigue, catching more colds than usual, stuff like that.

Let's see how long we can keep on that diet, but I'm just writing to say that it is not the first time I experience such an increase of energy due to special diets.

I also experienced that during lyme, when I cut a lot of foods that tested energetically bad (allergic).

I have no longer lyme, but I will keep gluten free. It makes me feel so much better, lighter, I even need to eat less because I think food is better absorbed.

I am pretty sure that cutting gluten will boost immunity, in our case. Only time will tell.

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few years ago I had reintroduced gluten and had no obvious symptoms from it at first. I later had some gut problems and realized I still needed to be gluten free.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been cheating on the diet myself. I'm back on it again. We'll see.

Thanks for the reminder.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting thanks. I went off gluten a few years ago and energy went up. Had been wondering if I need to stay off.
Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, I think the term 'gluten allergy' is not really a good term.

My daughter was once allergic to WHEAT (extreme tummy pains and eczema). Then since we started the violet ray, her tummy pain ended.

We test food energetically, and so far, I have never seen ANYONE testing good for ORGANIC wheat.

Non-organic is poisonous, so definitively, it tests as poison anyway. But even organic, it never tests good, even for people that feel practically nothing bad (not to their knowledge).

We had been wheat-free for long (some cheating sometimes though), but mostly no cheating. But we consumed other gluten containing grains very often. Spelt every single day, which is the ancient form of wheat (not too much modified).

It has less gluten than wheat, but there is gluten. My daughter didn't feel pain since the violet ray, so we thought she was cured from the gluten problem.

previous to the violet ray, she had been gluten free for 1 or 2 years, zero cheating because of EXTREME TUMMY PAIN. She was healthy, strong, doing lots of physical activities.

it's been about 6 moths to a year that her health started again to decline: less energy, fatigue, no tummy pain but not a perfect digestion either. No eczema either (which indicates no 'allergy' to gluten).

But that decline coincides with the introduction of gluten (she remarked that herself, not me!).

So the gluten free trial we are doing now has been a surprise to us. Her energy more than doubled, her mood is extremely good, her brain working so fast, everything is really better now. It's such an amazing transformation.

So I also went gluten free, just to see. And it's clearly doing something as I never feel tired. Till 11pm, I'm still fit. Not ups and downs, as I was having during the day, specially in the evening. I have no doubt it was due to gluten.

so don't expect to make a gluten allergy test and come positive. I think most people like me don't have positive tests.

Give a try, and check your energy. Of course, there can be other intolerances like to oat, other grains, so you got to try to figure out what is absolutely not reactive (usually rice and potatoes go well to almost everyone).

If you stop gluten, but continue with other things that can cause intolerance commonly (like cow milk products, oat, corn, soy ...), you may not see the difference as fast as we did. Really, in a couple of days, we felt totally different!

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I definitely don't have a "gluten allergy." I have other food allergies and have a completely different reaction.

If fact, I don't have any immediate reaction at all to gluten, I just feel better, bumps on tops of arms/legs go away, rough elbows go away, pimples on forehead along hairline go away, etc. when I'm not eating it.

My true food allergies make me sick right away. Even my other food intolerances give me stomach upset right away. It is strange how it's more a long term effect with gluten.

Like your daughter, I used to be extremely sensitive to it.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Thank you all for sharing - sorry for your experiences, of course yet so glad you are in tune with your bodies and with action, you feel better. I love it when things work out that way.

For anyone reading this, wondering, "Really? could it matter so much?" Yep. But to be really gluten free is a might endeavor, and the strictness matter tremendously yet gets to be easy and just second-nature before long.

A good trial should be total elimination of all traces of gluten (even in lip balm and items from a deli that is not dedicated gluten-free prep space) - for at least six months. As gluten can cause inflammation and other issues in the brain for up to six months after exposure, some researchers state.

There is still so much to understand [and SO much more to learn] about how gluten can affect health in all body organs / functions - while sometimes not apparently in the gut - and even in apparent absence of celiac (for which each of the tests may not just be adequate yet). I don't think there is a test for everything, anyway.

I do think that our bodies are often our best barometers. We many not have to fall into the street to know that something is out of balance. But not everyone is so in tune -- or will to go gluten-free (and find out exactly how strict that must be).

Kudos to you all for listening to your bodies - and being proactive on your intuitive hunches.

For many out there, know that very often the stomach bioposy tests are inadequate and can miss celiac. Still, it can affect and not show up in the gut, too.

A hunch of mine is that various infections can affect a body that might not otherwise have been "sensitive" to gluten. Sprue (a tropical infection) did that early on in learning about celiac.

I also wonder if exposure to chemicals might influence.

So much more to learn. But we can still act now. And it's nice to have this kind of control and see how much better things can be without gluten in our lives.

Some (GF) food for thought in articles below.

While these links focus on ataxia, if there is any leaning in that direction early on, it's just going to zap energy from the body and be harder to function with good endurance when there is any imbalance, even if subtle.

And INFLAMMATION could also be a connection to zapped energy from gluten consumption / exposure.
-

[ 06-12-2016, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=edit_post;f=1;t=134197;reply_num=000006;u=00012673

Gluten Ataxia: When Gluten Attacks Your Brain

Gluten ataxia involves progressive balance problems caused by a reaction to the protein gluten. Here's what you need to know.

https://www.verywell.com/gluten-ataxia-symptoms-562398

Could You Have Brain & Nerve Damage from Gluten?

Gluten ataxia symptoms include problems with your gait and balance, plus tingling in your extremities.

https://www.verywell.com/is-gluten-free-diet-good-for-gluten-ataxia-562399

How Strict Does Your Diet Have To Be To Fight Gluten Ataxia?

Treatment of gluten ataxia (gait, muscular and other neurological problems caused by gluten) involves a strict gluten-free diet. But how strict?

https://www.verywell.com/hla-dq1-562568

How Does the Gene HLA-DQ1 Affect Gluten Sensitivity?

HLA-DQ1 does not seem to be associated with celiac disease, but it may be associated with gluten ataxia.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=gluten+ataxia

PubMed search:

gluten ataxia - 188 abstracts

gluten, neurological - 213 abstracts

gluten, inflammation - 481
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
For those new to all this, one of several educational sites. It's good to find several of the top ones and compare notes. And, yes, it is absolutely worth it.

If one has any issue with gluten, going GF may not solve or repair all problems yet it could be a wonderful help.

https://www.verywell.com/celiac-disease-4014748

Celiac Disease

Answers to all your celiac disease questions, from symptoms and treatments to gluten-free foods, alcohol and safe restaurants.
-

Brussels
Member # 13480

Thank you all for the new info on that. Specially Keebler.

Gluten ataxia, wow...

I do notice improvements on small movements during piano play. I know my brain is what limits my ability to play well or not, mostly, not practice.

I did notice improvements in playing, in the sense that I can do movements I couldn't in the right speed and intonation. Things I started playing many years ago, and that I just tried again, just to see.

I am positively surprised, and I was just thinking it had to do with less fatigue, more presence due to gluten free diet.

But maybe there is more?!

I know my mind is much clearer, but as I said, I thought it was due to fatigue I was having.

there is certainly some relation between food allergies or intolerances with the brain health, in the sense that most autistic kids have food problems, digestion problems and brain infections.

Maybe the ataxia is not only physically caused by gluten but indirectly caused by brain inflammation or even infections?

Another thing is happening, but I don't know the reason, is a sort of turning on the detox-mode button.

Both daughter and I are testing not only for chlorella (she has tummy pains to indicate when she needs chlorella, like me) but I am screaming for bear garlic.

My urine is getting darker, I feel I may have a bladder or kidney infection soon.

it happens every time I detox intensely. I suppose all these toxins, heavy metals in circulation become too much, and my immune system can't cope with the toxic flush.

I know that by heart with heavy metal mobilizers: take a mobilizer, feel crap, then get some infection, heal the infection, and then go for more mobilizers... and so on.

the point is that we are not taking mobilizers!

My daughter's tummy pains stop almost immediately (it takes maybe 2 or 3 minutes, but not much more) after ingestion of chlorella. Her body is certainly detoxing more than usual, like mine.

I'm not sure it is caused by the gluten free diet. Like the body now has time to detox, while before it was busy dealing with gluten stress?

why suddenly we both start to feel we can't live without chlorella again?

My joints are in light pain, but they feel getting oiled (!), exactly like when I succeed in taking some heavy metals or toxins from joints...

Man, the more I think about how EVERYTHING is bound together, I feel amazed really. Everything in our bodies are not compartmentalized, but the body really works in unison, as a whole.

the effect I'm getting with going gluten free is similar to fasting. It feels very similar, indeed. And I'm less hungry than usual!

Brussels
Member # 13480

We're still continuing with our gluten diet.

It was certainly the main problem of our ups and downs in energy during the day.

We do not have anymore a sharp /clear drop of energy after food, or during the day, or at the end of the day.

As a bonus, I feel my mind is sharper, and so is my daughter's. We are both much more concentrated, and as we are always learning something, I feel a clear change for her and for myself.

The brain activity does not make me feel tired, on the opposite, I think it is stimulating.

My daughter too, is really very present and learning so much, different things, like a sponge and then processing everything, somehow creatively.

It looks like our days got longer, because of those never ending activities...

I was thinking it has ONLY to do with our energy problem due to gluten digestion, but I start to wonder if gluten does not damage our brains or nerves somehow??

The thing is that I clearly notice improvements in fine motor skills (my fingers) when I'm playing the piano. For an old person, who learned after 40, improvements on that sense are very very hard.

It's a bit like having to learn a complete different language (let's say Chinese) at 40, and the effort one has to give to master the sounds, the phonics, the mouth, tongue fine movements, is next to impossible when you are too old.

Same with the piano, fine motor skills. I know what I want to do, but my fingers do not do what I want, in the intensity, touch, speed... But I do feel I'm improving faster than usual, with less effort.

And the memory is also better.

I would like to know if other people also experience such clear change or if I'm imagining it all?

Can inflammation due to gluten cause such damage in brain cells, in nerve cells? I start to think the answer may be yes!?

Or this is all just because I have more energy?

Daughter's stools are also not too soft anymore. She rarely had diarrhea during gluten consumption, but her stools were always soft.

There are also clearly some changes there, she said.

It's a bit boring to do all that gluten free shopping, restricting restaurants, etc, but it's paying back!!

Anyone else would like to try?

The intense detox reaction of my body (that led me to an awful kidney and bladder infection last week), I attribute also to our gluten free diet.

Since then, my body has more energy to do things it couldn't do before: like detoxing. My urine started to be darker, darker, until I got that infection.

Exactly like a year ago, when I started on the violet ray and entered in detox-mode...

me
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Article on gluten, effects on the brain and nerve damage:

https://www.glutenfreesociety.org/gluten-your-nervous-system-depression-brain-abnormalities-and-neuropathy/

Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lookup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lookup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brussels wrote: "I start to wonder if gluten does not damage our brains or nerves somehow??"

Ding! Ding! Ding!
There are tight junctions all over, not just in the gut. There are tight junctions in our brain too.

Who knew?! I found that out when researching Restore that starts tightening up tight junctions within 18 hours.

Posts: 764 | From Northwest | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another article on how nerves and brain can be effected by gluten.

https://www.verywell.com/what-is-gluten-ataxia-562400

--------------------
Just sharing my experiences, opinions, and what I've read and learned. Not medical advice.

Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched a few docs recently on the hashimoto summit (first day of summit). They said that gluten tears holes in absolutely everyone's stomach linings, not just celiacs or gluten sensitive people.

They said that the body repairs it until eventually it no longer can, then the person starts developing allergies, etc (leaky gut).

They also said even the ancient grains did it.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
norcal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for norcal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gluten free going on 7 years, will never look back.
Posts: 342 | From northern california | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Thank you guys, for the brain damage info.

Very very precious information. I'll keep that in my MIND.

I do feel clear improvements in energy levels, then in cognition (much more concentration) and even in FINE motor skills.

It is clear there must be a connection.

The other thing that I'm amazed to see is the fact that, as my body has more energy left, it starts to do things (like detoxing) in TURBO mode.

I can't stop detoxing, it feels like when I did fasting for 10 days.

Whatever is happening, feels like a REBOOT of my system. Just because of gluten!! (?) I can barely believe it.

I don't even have lyme anymore, but if you guys are STILL fighting lyme, it may be worth to try a gluten free diet, just to see if your energy also increase (and with that, immunity increases!).

I get tired only after 11pm. I'm having a bit of trouble to fall asleep, just because I'm not used to go to bed without feeling tired.

I have the impression I sleep less hours, just because I don't fall asleep immediately, but it takes me time to turn off. I guess I have to re-start jogging...

Brussels
Member # 13480

Hi everyone,

I just saw the documentary What's with Wheat? again.

In the end the doctors said: if you eliminate gluten and you were intolerant to it, you may feel worse before feeling better.

They LITERALLY said the body goes into DETOX reaction!!! And it can be very fast.

The body starts producing enzymes again and detoxing. You may have more headaches, fatigue... they said.

I had a bladder infection!! I'm not inventing when I say I attribute that boost to detox just by changing a bit my diet to gluten free.

The urine got so dark, so filthy, that I got that infection. I'm still on high detox mode today!

I'll go further in trying to eliminate grains again, see if I can stand it (except for rice, for the moment). Not exactly the Paleo diet, but something in that sense...

What is enlightening was that JOINT PAIN can be totally connected to allergens! It does not mean it is exclusively of allergic source, but as with anything that has inflammation, the problem is that it gets weak to CATCH infections.

Just think about nose allergies making you prone to catch lung, bronchial infections. Why would that be different than your joints?

There was an MD there who was in wheel chair for 4 years, who lived in the country side. I wonder if she didn't have lyme. She cured herself only through changing her diet drastically.

Brussels
Member # 13480

I wonder if my problems with minerals will go better too. Lack of minerals, I mean.

I tried to introduce fulvic acids (I'm chicken, so I only did it once this week).

I usually cannot tolerate most minerals (I react as though they are poisoning me).

I can't experiment much though, as my urine is still darker than usual... Let's see.

Brussels
Member # 13480

Since yesterday, I'm trying to live with barely any grains.

Kind of a bit hard to cook food because of habit, but I'll give this a try for a while.

The type of energy I get, is very different from high carb diet. Very different.

The way my hunger goes, is also different. I think I have to get used to this all...

I still take potatoes, sweet potatoes and very little carbs, at the moment. It's a transition.

I see the point why people say that grain-free diet makes you lose weight fast. I can't say when I get hungry, really...

In my case, I need to gain weight, but as everything goes in different directions for me (crazy body), I am hoping to gain some weight with this new trial... Let's see how long I can stand on it.

hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw a show where a MD has a terrible case of Psoriasis. He kept a food diary and eliminated foods. The two that will cause his psoriasis are gluten and peppers. As long as he does not eat foods with these he has no psoriasis.

He wrote a book called Let Food Be Your Medicine. I have not read it, but it was interesting to hear him talk yesterday. I know he uses a modified Mediterranean diet for autoimmune and arthritis, but I am not sure what this entails. I think it has whole grains, lean meat and fish, nuts etc.

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8885 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Amazing, isn't it?

I never thought of food as medicine would be like that...

I think when people get close to 50, many get joint problems.

Even younger people, in their 30s are having joint problems, man and woman equally. It's not only infections, I believe. It's mostly food!

I feel the effect of food in my body very clearly now. Since I eliminated gluten, my body got more tuned, more 'aware', awaken.

Every bite of food that comes in, it's a whole sensual experience, that goes through very subtle levels.

I am enjoying the experience, as it feels like the 'awareness' (or 'awakeness', if that exists...) that I get from fasting.

But the difference is that I'm NOT fasting!!!

It is more expensive to buy foods (organic, specially), when you do not buy grains any more.

But surely, you got to vary more on nuts, dried fruits, veggies, beans, miso, seaweed, etc.

I feel MUCH calmer, much more grounded, I'm sleeping deeper too. It is enjoyable, even though more job to cook and shop for food.

But as my mind is clearer, and I have more energy, so I am improvising the meals, inventing stuff, experimenting. It is fun too.

The wheat documentary says that giving your body the right foods will make certain genes wake up and work properly. They said about 70 or 80% of our genes can be steered by us, and the environment.

It's pretty a lot, isn't it? Genetics is not a fixed science, because of epigenetics!

Giving bad foods, dead foods, toxic foods will steer up other genes, that probably cause us more disease. It's like a talk with your body's genetic code, through food.

A bit like saying: 'look how much I care for you, I give you only good food, so give me health back if you are grateful'.

The other side of the picture is: 'Look how much food with pesticides, glyphosate, neurotoxins, plus dead food (white flours) I am giving you, body. Every day, on and on. I know you are not happy, but please don't make me sick.'

Well, it doesn't seem to work this way!...

My joints are saying 'thank you' to myself. I am having some funny joint reactions and a sort of funny lymph ball going on (like some joints get suddenly bit swollen, then hours later, they will get normal, then my whole lymph gets drained...).

My urine continues to be so dark, so I'm taking care to drink more hot water.

The whole experience is like fasting, really. Like re-setting your body again. I feel things going on inside me, as though suddenly, my inner-steering engines started working again.

Really, this is so much similar to my fasting experience, but the advantage is that I can do it for much longer than a couple of weeks!

I'll make a 10 day vacation to France tomorrow, so I don't know how much will I be able to cope (with my diet), but let's see.

Brussels
Member # 13480

We continue on the gluten free diet.

We're still in the adaptation phase, as it takes some time to find old recipes, and new ones.

but not willing to come back to gluten!

Still happy without it, and now I don't say my craving is zero, but it's not that far from zero.

We're next to 100% gluten free (just not sure the food we consume outside is really 100% gluten free).

Non-organic bread, cookies, pasta is also coming out of our list (now that we found what to eat instead!).

Neko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I have been on a gluten free diet about a year. I don't notice any improvement at all.

To be honest I am getting really annoyed. It's been such a hassle, I can't eat anything when I go anywhere. It seems like a severe diet when no one can show me tha it is actually beneficial.

I'm happy avoiding most gluten free foods, but sometimes, I just can't see how a single slice of pizza is causing untold damage.

I've been avoiding gluten almost two years, though about a year ago I went to a wedding and ate food with gluten. I felt fine.

I restarted it for the past year...any gluten ingestion has been accidental. I am pretty strict, though I wouldn't know if I've accidently ingested some. I was told a soup I ate was gluten free, then the next time it wasn't. I didn't notice anything after eating it, so I have no idea.

I just don't know if I should continue or not.

It's summer so I'm dying for a plate of fried clams. Or a donut. I'm too afraid to do it though. I just wish I knew if it was helpful or not.

Posts: 133 | From North Shore | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Sorry Neko.

I do not notice anything on my tummy or so. I just notice that I have more energy (for longer) and since we started, we didn't get any bug (cold, or tummy bug).

Before that, every 2 weeks my daughter would get something.

I guess if your lyme is still active, it is hard to tell any difference. We no longer have lyme, so I guess, it makes things easier...

I always consumed gluten during lyme treatment, to tell you the truth. My daughter had to be sometimes totally gluten, wheat, spelt, free though (she's got pain).

When she started this gluten free diet, she had not more tummy pains due to gluten. But she stopped more or less accidentally. She noticed she had more stamina and decided to continue on her own (notice, she's only 12 years old!).

So we're doing. I sincerely do not crave gluten. It's more a SOCIAL problem, like you said.

we don't like though to fall ill the whole time, or feel tired, that is why we continue.

ARe you on cow milk free diet too? Have you ever tested OTHER foods with any sort of bio energetic testing?

You need just ONE bad food a day to feel crap. Just one allergenic or bad food a day.

me
Member # 45475

Neko, sometimes people have an autoimmune reaction to the protein in milk, casein. You could try cutting that out of your diet and see if it helps. If you do, look very carefully at items that say "lactose free" and "dairy free" bc sometimes they have the actual protein in them listed as caseine or caseinate, in it. Daiya has good options for gluten and casein free "cheese, sour cream, and cream cheese." They also have a gluten and casein free pizza. Yummy!

--------------------
Just sharing my experiences, opinions, and what I've read and learned. Not medical advice.

Brussels
Member # 13480

One week in Italy and France, and we could still do 100% gluten free, no pasta at all (not even gluten free).

We ate out, but could always manage.

I start to realize that the benefits for us also come because of sharp reduction of carbs in general.

We are literally changing the intake of food: more fruits, more veggies, more proteins, more oils /nuts, less carbs.

We are eating carbs in very little amounts, compared to before (when a whole meal could be just pasta).

so, we are avoiding the so called gluten free pasta as much as we can, unless there is no choice.

I feel the body may also get addicted to dead-flour products, with or without gluten. I'm eating rice instead, when I feel I need carbs (which I DO NEED, or I get hungry fast).

Brussels
Member # 13480

In May we did a one week vacation, and my daughter was still eating some gluten (in spelt).

She was often tired, we couldn't be always going out.

Now just 2 months after, we spent this whole week walking about 9 hours a day, up and down, museums, visits, beach, river, horseriding. Not a single part of our day was spent inside, resting.

it was intense, no illness, nothing.

Since we started gluten free, no cold, no stomach bug. Before was one problem after another, specially for my daughter.

for her, the difference is more than clear. We will continue, as long as we can.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement