LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Doxy and sun

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Doxy and sun
me
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 45475

Icon 2 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've worn sunscreen on my face religiously every day since I've been about 13. I'm very fair skinned. I have never had any sunspots on my face until about a month ago and then all of the sudden several popped up. I've been on doxy for a while.

My LLMD said sunscreen doesn't help. What do I do to save my face from sun damage? Or is it one of the necessary evils while undergoing treatment?

Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most LLMD's switch their patients to another abx during the summer months.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ohioperson22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47837

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ohioperson22         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm fairskinned and of Irish descent (partially), and I'm on Doxy.

It's pretty clear for me: If I don't wear sunscreen, I'm in for a burn. If I wear SPF 70 I'm fine.

I recommend SPF-70 or SPF-100.

The best suscreen is actually the physical barrier kind, containing zinc oxide and titanium dioxide.

There's an uber-expensive one that claims to be invisible zinc that isn't quite as noticable as the old white paste one would put on.

Posts: 200 | From Ohio | Registered: Apr 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The doxy burn is a chemical burn. It is not a sunburn. It most often occurs on the hands.

When I got it, it was on my hands, especially fingers. It was unbelievable--like a blowtorch was on them. Narcotic painkillers did nothing for this invisible burn.

I contemplated going to the ER. I could not sleep at all due to the pain.

After a few days, tiny blisters appeared on the fingers. It took about 2 months before I could stand even 30 seconds of sun on those hands. I could not bear the pain of running out to the mailbox, grabbing the mail, and running back in!

I could not even stand to sit under our skylight and eat breakfast. It hurt the hands too much.

Warm water was unbearable as was cold water. This burn is unbelievable. Just want you to know what you are in for.

Those who must take doxy during the summer must stay totally out of the sun. Wear light cotton gloves when driving as the chemical reaction can occur through the windshield. If you go in the sun, wear long-sleeved tops. They sell special clothing for this. It is very expensive. I have heard that you can even get this burn if you stay in the shade outdoors.

Sunscreen will NOT stop this chemical burn.

Everyone is different. So, some folks may not get this burn. However, those of us who are fair seem to be particularly prone to it. So, watch out! Beware the dreaded doxy burn.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ohioperson22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47837

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ohioperson22         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Physical sunblocks (zinc and titanium oxides) do just that; block the UV light from reaching the skin.
Posts: 200 | From Ohio | Registered: Apr 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand as I had to wear zinc oxide all the time until I stopped going in the sun in my 20s. It was the only way I could keep from getting sun poisoning on my face.

I am saying that I do NOT believe this will stop this chemical burn that occurs with doxy. This is NOT a regular sunburn. It surely is not worth it to do an experiment to see.

Since the chemical burn happens most often on the hands, what are you going to do? cover your hands with zinc oxide?

From what I have read, the mechanism by which doxy causes this burn is not well understood. So, it is not safe to treat your body the way you do to prevent a regular sunburn.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Thanks for the info. I live where the sun is super intense and it is very hot. How much less effective is mino than doxy? My LLMD probably forgot where I live when I asked him about doxy vs mino.

What are the clothes called that help protect you from the sun? Thank you.

Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

You will have to search the Internet for the clothes. Here is one catalog I found. $30 for hand covers (they are not gloves):

http://www.sunprecautions.com/product/31300

WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are similar issues with sun and mino. Cover up! Big hat, etc.

The summer I was on mino, I wasn't careful enough, apparently. I got a very odd orangey color "suntan." Not painful but very different from a normal tan and took a good while to fade.

Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So switching to mino wouldn't help the sun issue?
momintexas
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with TF. I have used zinc oxide for years because I am so fair skinned.

I swear by it......BUT I got a Doxy burn on my hands while driving and I had zinc oxide on.

It is a chemical burn and it's nothing like you've ever felt before (hopefully).

Painful blisters that medication doesn't help. Try to keep covered as much as possible if you have to stay on Doxy.

That being said.....I made it through several summers on Doxy and even a couple of beach trips and did okay.

Everyone responds different, but just be super aware.

Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Winter Park
Member # 41655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Winter Park     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Minocycline is slightly more effective in my experience than Doxy. I switched from Doxy when the price skyrocketed years ago and continued taking Minocycline after I realized it resulted in better inflammation/herx. Tradeoff is tinnitus which isn't so bad for me.
Posts: 30 | From Winter Park Florida | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will have to be on doxy this summer, so I have to deal with it, too. I, also, have very fair skin, and already had 12 precancerous lesions on my face & 2 cancerous ones that took 2 painful years to get rid of (all from horrible sunburns growing up).

When I took doxy one summer before, I lived like a mole.

So to try to be able to go out a little, I guess:
long sleeves, a big hat, gloves, stay in the shade, barrier type sunscreen on face and neck, long pants, no sandals.

But is that enough to not get it where you only have sunscreen??

I love to swim, but that surely must be out (outside that is). Even with the SPF shirts and gloves, zinc oxide type sunscreen on face and neck may not be enough.

I DO NOT want to get the horrible burn!! I already have horrific burning pain from CRPS, so no, no, no to the skin burn.

Mino is supposed to be better than doxy for this, but probably not better enough. I need the doxy anyway (and can't tolerate mino). Sigh.

MominTexas, how did you survive beach trips with doxy? Stay covered up under the umbrella with zinc oxide on anywhere exposed? It's so bright and reflective at the beach! Much as I love it, I'm scared of it now even without doxy!

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me
Member # 45475

I just got some sun protective gear online. There are all sorts of options. For example, this bandana/face shield from REI:

https://www.rei.com/product/891838/buff-uv-buff

There are also cute spf hats in Amazon. Just make sure to read the fine print about amount of spf protection and sun permeability.

momintexas
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rumigirl, I walked the beach in the very early morning and in the evenings.

I stayed inside during the peak hours and the times I was out, yes, you are correct!

Big umbrella, big hat, rash guard long sleeve shirt, shorts, zinc oxide and Coppertone Water Babies Pure & Simple over the zinc.

It left my skin white, but oh well.....totally worth looking funny. I also was VERY careful to keep my feet covered too.

Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you me & momintexas.

Aside from going out of the city to a lake or whatever, or even a park in the city, I have to go to a lot of medical appointments in the city, and can't stay inside all the time. Although I rarely go out aside from

medical appointments : - ( It's certainly not because that's what I want! Just don't have the capability much.

But the medical appointments are in the daytime. And they do involve walking, ie, being in the light, even if I try to stay in the shade. I would wear long pants, no sandals, long sleeves, big hat, gloves,

high SPF sunscreen on my face and neck. But the zinc oxide would look horrible in a city. Just trying to figure this out, since my skin is extremely fair and sunburn prone. I know this is not a regular sunburn.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me
Member # 45475

I hear you. I'm going through the same thing right now. I'm telling myself to have a sense of humor with my upcoming new fashion sense and that it could be worse, but nontheless, it will put me out of my comfort zone.

I just ordered this hat from Amazon the other day:

https://www.amazon.com/FakeFace-Womens-Anti-UV-Protective-Reversible/dp/B01CNOJQNM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1465998887&sr=8-5&keywords=Spf+hat

It looks so cute--on her!! I will probably look quite silly in it, but it's better than sun damage.

TF pointed me to the following site and I like the following hat a lot, but it's expensive:

http://www.sunprecautions.com/product/46120

You could always pretend like you're famous and have someone hold a parasol for you. Maybe entice another friend to pretend like he or she is a photographer? Or, if you really wanna go all out, maybe you could even have another few friends tag along like a fan following.

I'm in the same boat. If I have a stroke of brilliance, I will share the idea(s) with you. Take Care

momintexas
Member # 23391

Rumigirl, Ocean Potion Makes a Clear Zinc Oxide that works VERY well.

http://www.target.com/p/ocean-potion-clear-zinc-oxide-face-potion-1-oz/-/A-13969170

It does dry clear unless you put a very heavy layer on, then it can leave a white haze. (when I was on beach)

I use it on my face daily - and it stays clear.

Rumigirl
Member # 15091

quote:
Originally posted by momintexas:
Rumigirl, Ocean Potion Makes a Clear Zinc Oxide that works VERY well.

http://www.target.com/p/ocean-potion-clear-zinc-oxide-face-potion-1-oz/-/A-13969170

It does dry clear unless you put a very heavy layer on, then it can leave a white haze. (when I was on beach)

I use it on my face daily - and it stays clear.

Oh, bless your heart, momintexas! Thank you. So, I guess it helps with the doxy issue, in spite of people saying that suncreen doesn't help with this----along with all the other precautions, of course.
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

me, you're brave with the hat. I bet you'll look cute in it, too! The SunPrecautions stuff looks great, albeit expensive.

I have a great big hat, but I'm not sure if it's as sun-proof as I need for doxy in the summer in the daytime. I'll have to look with a light bulb to see how much it filters out light.

Well, I guess it will be an "interesting" summer (that's putting it mildly, all given).

paleogal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paleogal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love me my Tilley hat! Wide-brimmed, but low glare on the brim because it's darker on the underside:

http://www.tilley.com/us_en/ltm2-airflor.html

And it has a chin band/under ponytail band for wind. It doesn't budge!

(edited: Tilley hats can often be found on sale - the price tag for a new one is really steep! Sorry if that offputs anyone. They're great hats and Tilley will replace them for free if they ever wear out or for half off if you lose it.)

me - I also had sunspots suddenly appear earlier this year (before on doxy), all over my face, upper chest, and arms. I assumed it was something about liver function, but blood tests were OK and my LLMD didn't seem worried, so I tried not to let it bother me. If anyone figures out rapidly appearing sunspots, please let me know too!

Posts: 243 | From Southern Arizona | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me
Member # 45475

Wow, so I was right. The hot pink hat looks adorable *on the model.* Haha. Oh, goodness. Sense of humor required for me. Big time.

I have a very, very small head (as in I have to get kid glasses to fit my face at times), so I look like I'm playing a bad version of dress up. If this were my biggest problem, I'd be golden! I need to think of witty, yet kind remarks when people stare at me. Or have some positive phrase to say to myself.

me
Member # 45475

Just got back from Walgreens. I found Walgreens brand sunscreen spf 50 with clear zinc oxide.

However, I've read MIXED reports on whether zinc oxide clogs pores or not.

Although the brand said "non-greasy" it did not say non-comedogenic (won't clog pores).

Does anyone know whether or not zinc oxide clogs pores or not?

Rumigirl
Member # 15091

quote:
Originally posted by me:
Just got back from Walgreens. I found Walgreens brand sunscreen spf 50 with clear zinc oxide.

However, I've read MIXED reports on whether zinc oxide clogs pores or not.

Although the brand said "non-greasy" it did not say non-comedogenic (won't clog pores).

Does anyone know whether or not zinc oxide clogs pores or not?

Supposedly not, according to the EWG sunscreen report. But the quality & how it's made, & whether it has adequate UVA protection varies a lot. I'd check to make sure it has adequate UVA

protection, which many do not. Those are not the burning rays, but they can do a lot of damage. The EWG report, which is long, is good. Plus, you can order the report that speaks about the different brands, etc.

Then there is the issue that sunscreen supposedly doesn't help with doxy, although I imagine it helps on top of the barrier methods (hat, gloves, long sleeves, pants, covered shoes). Hot in the summer! Oh, well.

sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CeraVe has an invisible zinc (w/ titanium dioxide) SPF 50 face lotion. My dermatologist just recently gave me samples of it. I really like it as I'm blond/ super fair skinned.

The CeraVe baby is my favorite body lotion too. You can find this brand anywhere or on Amazon. It is pretty cheap.

I also like Lands End long sleeve rash guard tees. They protect, look good, wash, and wear well. They are SPF 50 (if I remember correctly). I usually buy them off season but if you need them, they are a great option.

I also have a Scala sun block hat. Mine is chocolate brown and super cute. I found it at TJMax for a couple bucks. They vary in price online. Much cheaper than other brands I had previously seen.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me
Member # 45475

I felt very uncomfortable in the hats, so I got this Spf parasol on Amazon and have felt more comfortable using it. In case anyone would like to try out an inexpensive parasol:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01FRUR9QA/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1466469289&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=villason+umbrella&dpPl=1&dpID=61OS6HggyWL&ref=plSrch

It's very sturdy.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement