LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Does Air conditioning have a catastrophic affect on anyone else's sleep?!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does Air conditioning have a catastrophic affect on anyone else's sleep?!
JenniferMN
Member # 29920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JenniferMN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had tick borne disease for at least 16 years & I never get restorative sleep. Ever. No matter what. BUT, it is made much worse by air conditioning. I wake up in the morning w/ my brain lining feeling very swollen, big bags under my eyes, ear canals swollen, all my muscles are stiff & sore like they've been flexed all night. I'm absolutely exhausted!! I just feel HORRIBLE.

I can't go without air conditioning though, because I can't sleep in the heat either. Summers are a nightmare for me.

My MRI shows I have "a few scattered patchy foci of T2 signal within the periventricular & subcortical white matter of both cerebral hemispheres are nonspecific & may represent small vessel ischemic changes, sequela of migraine headache, or post-infectious or inflammatory change."

So, my brain lining is inflamed. That's why my sleep is horrible. But, why does the temperature in my bedroom make it so much worse??! The air conditioning is literally killing me.

Does anyone else get this from air conditioning at night?

Posts: 83 | From Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lookup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lookup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if there is some mold in the air conditioner?

Some people can't do cold/damp.

My son can't stand it either. If we are down by the

lake, when it is cold, we both have to wrap scarves

around our necks so we don't get what he calls

"lakeside lymphoma."

Posts: 764 | From Northwest | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would also suspect mold.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it JUST the air conditioning in your house or is it all air conditioners? Because I too immediately thought MOLD.
Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferMN
Member # 29920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JenniferMN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The other people I live with are totally fine. If the central air system had mold, wouldn't all of us be sick from it?

I've read online comments from people who suffer from "Fibromyalgia" who cannot tolerate air conditioning, either. And, of course Fibromyalgia is often really Lyme. I have Lyme & Anaplasmosis which has caused Fibromyalgia symptoms, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, & Myalgic Encephalomylitis.

Just wondering if any of the other Lyme patients on here have ever complained about this problem w/ air conditioning?

Posts: 83 | From Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope. Some people can detox mold just fine. Others can't.

www.survivingmold.com

Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mold was my first thought. If you are in Minnesota, I would ask what are you doing for heat? If you are using the same A/C and heating unit and vents for heat, and you are fine with heat, that would suggest it is not the unit or the vents.

But if you just use the unit and ducts for A/C, and have some other system for heat, then I would seriously consider if mold is the issue there.

There is genetic/haplotype testing that can be done, developed by the doctor in the link in the post directly above, that is intended to be suggestive of likelihood of having a problem with mold.

The question of if it is just your house is also a key one here.

I am pretty sensitive to temperature and humidity. There is a pretty narrow range where I am comfortable--it is easy to be too hot or too cold or too humid for me. But never had the problem of A/C in and of itself causing the problem.

Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferMN
Member # 29920

Thank you MichaelTampa & WPinVA!

I'm going to get that genetic/haplotype testing done to see if mold is the problem (in addition to the Lyme...)

We have a central AC/forced air heating system, so it's all the same ducts in the summer & winter. Even though my sleep is really bad in the winter, it's catastrophically bad in the summer. So, it really could be mold because the air system blows much more when the AC is on than it does when the heat is on because I need my room to be about 64 degrees, so I have to crank the AC on in the summer & it blows & blows & blows at me all night long. Whereas, in the winter all I have to do is turn the heat way down to nearly being off, so the heat does not come on much at night & is NOT blowing at me.

I don't think I feel as sick when I stay someplace else, but I don't go away very often because I always feel like ****. Also, I just figured that when I'm traveling, I don't notice it as much because I'm running on sheer adrenaline just to survive it & get thru it.

But, you sound like me Michael (well, the Lyme me, NOT the old me)...I'm totally sensitive to temperature & humidity since I got Lyme. There is an EXTREMELY NARROW RANGE OF TEMP in which I can get any quality of sleep at all >> it's got to be about 64 to 65 degrees in my room, constantly. I'm also wiped out by a hot shower.

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement