LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Prednisone (steroids) after you've been in remission

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Prednisone (steroids) after you've been in remission
Pushingthru
Member # 28734

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Pushingthru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,
So I've been in remission about 2 years (praise God!). I am on my 3rd antibiotic for a sinus infection that will not go away. He also prescribed Prednisone. I think I may really need it to get over this infection but I worry because I may wake up lyme if it's still in there. Next step would be a CT scan. What would you do? I appreciate your consideration!!

Posts: 96 | From Missouri | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
A CT scan can certainly be helpful to view the structure to see if there is some structural abnormality. Still, the infection & inflammation should be addressed - just in safer ways, I think.

Please do not do the prednisone. It can also stay in the body for UP TO SIX months and pull minerals from your bones, affect your endocrine system . . . and adversely impact your immune system (key if you might be bitten by another tick).

[I'd like to shout for determined clarity on that.] There are other ways much safer ways to address inflammation.

If it's not a life threatening emergency, there are always other ways. Steroids do not heal. In fact, they can make healing much harder.

Beside, if you have ANY infection, steroids can cause much damage. But, they could also trigger a harsh recurrence of lyme. Not a safe bet.

and steroids can cause damage beyond that, too, for anyone regarding bone scavenging, adrenal assault and then hard drop with stopping . . . .

My sinuses took me on horrendous rides decades ago -- and for years on end -- and steroids of all kinds were used. It got so much worse. Never ending cycle of some immediate reduction in inflammation while on steroids but then, when off, it would just explode.

So many other ways to approach this, and ways that can work. Please: just say no to steroids.

Consider:

xylitol nasal spray . . . sea salt spray . . .

Tumeric to help reduce inflammation (not up the nose but as a capsule to swallow) . . .

Magnesium can help reduce inflammation. Three x day (not all at once)

gluten free, dairy free diet . . . go scent free in all products and your surroundings

GLUTEN FREE, DAIRY FREE -- just stressing the major importance of that - sure was for me

sugar free diet (inc. simple carbs), too, since on antibiotics and fungal issues are likely on scene.

get rid of anything fluffy (that is not a cute pet, of course, and be sure pets are bathed frequently). Fluffy textiles, bath mats (cork is best) . . .

Avoid powders and sprays

Allicin capsules - Hepapro brand worked wonders for my sinuses. Seagate olive leaf extract was great for me to conquer candida (and such fugal infections can get into sinuses, too, not just the gut)

The thing is that you have to address both infection AND inflammation. Allicin can help with both. The others listed more so with inflammation.

The brands I list are key, as many brands are not equal.

As you are on your 3rd antibiotic, FUNGAL issues must also be considered. Allicin or OLE can help with that, too (but not at the same time as Rx -- or to take over after the Rx has run out).

If you can find a good naturopathic doctor, that would be splendid guidance.
-

[ 06-27-2016, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
If you have an air conditioner, be sure it's as clean as can be, wash / vacuum the filters, etc. according to the owner's manual safety instructions.

Be careful about chemicals such as mosquito and tick repellents. While understandably vital concept, still a chemical assault. Try to find essential oil ways to do that instead.

A fan out on your porch or deck can keep mosquitoes from being able to fly onto you if you sit out to enjoy a nice summer evening. Just not in case of rain, due to the power cord, of course.

Also considering the humidity in your state, fungal infections might be more a problem than other kinds, too. And all the more reasons to have no fluffy textiles in your home and to vacuum frequently so molds don't collect.

But a HEPA filter on the vacuum is really important, if at all possible. And be sure it's cleaned regularly.

If MOLD might be an issue in your home structure, that is vital to address as well. See web site for LISA NAGY.

In addition to diet and a XYLITOL NASAL SPRAY,

To help on many levels, you might start with very specific brand of Olive Leaf extract (or a brand that uses the same methods of growing, harvesting, processing) - Seagate. Detail:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/115457?#000000

OLE Links
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
NETI POT - another option for cleaning nasal passage. IF you do this, there are safety instructions for the water so as not to acquire an infection from bad boy microbes that can be even in tap water. Be very diligent about the safety instructions.

I prefer the ZINC or XYLITOL sprays, though a NETI POT can have its benefits, too.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/01/02/tap-water-neti-pot-toxic.aspx

Mercola, safe use of Neti pots

As for zinc, your levels should be tested to be sure you have enough in your body. If you are low zinc, it's much harder to fight infections.

You might supplement but read up on the dose range. Too much can be stressful, too.

In the meantime a zinc lozenge might do you good.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
If you take showers, REPLACE YOUR SHOWER HEAD with a new one - from a sealed package.

Cleaning it, even with bleach, may not be enough. The article below does not explain that but others I read at the time this came out do state that bleach is not effective.

I think there might some other ways to address BIOFILM in showerheads, such as grapefruit seed exact or other citrus natural cleaners to soak showerhead but I don't have time to research my hunch now. Just be aware:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/09/14/showerhead.bacteria/index.html?iref=allsearch

Study: Showerheads may deliver blast of bacteria - CNN - 2009

Excerpts:

. . . Mycobacterium avium and other germs known as non-tuberculosis mycobacteria, according to the new research in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

In fact, levels of these bacteria are more than 100-fold higher than levels found in the pre-shower water, according to the researchers, who analyzed the germs in the biofilm of 45 showerheads from nine U.S cities, including New York and Denver. . . .

. . . The new study emphasizes the need for us to periodically get rid of biofilm on our showerheads," he says. Change the showerhead once a year or more frequently, like they do in hospitals, to prevent mineral deposits and biofilm. . . .
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I would like to think that all of my suggestions have first been suggested by your doctor. If not, much of these can be found on various sites for sinus health but also on allergy sites (that's where I learned about fluffy textiles harboring so must dust / mold / germs - but also the shedding fibers getting into our sinuses and lungs).

Also vacuum your computer, TV, etc. with a soft brush attachment hose - maybe dial the vacuum down half way, though.

Good luck to you.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
D-Mannose is worth considering, too, drink in water and swirl around / hold in mouth for a while, then swallow.

Not sure if that might be able to be used as a nasal wash but I think it's a question worth exploring.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Medicinal mushrooms can be very helpful for immune support. Including various culinary mushrooms in your diet also helpful.

http://www.fungi.com/

PAUL STAMETS wonderful website - his work is among the best in the field. Explore all the tabs here. And find his TED Talks presentation. His top notch formulas:

http://www.fungi.com/host-defense.html

Host Defense
-

Jordana
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 45305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jordana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly I don't think you should take it. I think prednisone for Lyme patients should be reserved for like, brain swelling and other life threatening kinds of inflammation.

It's good you're on abx but for a sinus infection you can live without the prednisone. Take all Keebler's suggestions, use warmth and heat on the face and ride it out.

Posts: 2057 | From Florida | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pushingthru
Member # 28734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pushingthru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okie dokie. I will not use the prednisone. I will try some of these thinks wonderful Keebs suggested! Thanks you all!!!
Posts: 96 | From Missouri | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally would not do the prednisone. If you HAVE to have it, then a steroid nasal spray would be "safer." Maybe not SAFE, but safer.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pushingthru
Member # 28734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pushingthru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I've taken Nasacort off and on for years with no problems and it helps some.
SickSam
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SickSam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went from from having a wonderful life to bedridden overnight because of prednisone. Never again...
Posts: 748 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried B.E.G. nasal spray?

Also, xlear?

Or an antibiotic nasal spray?

Personally I would do the steroid only as a last resort.

Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pushingthru
Member # 28734

I will look up those nasal sprays. Thanks! WPinVA
lookup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lookup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would not do prednisone. The pain may disappear

but the dis-ease does not go away. It can go

deeper to a more insidious place and it also

changes your symptom picture so you don't know

what to do next even though you may feel, in

general, like hec. Right now, you know where

dis-ease is.

I often wonder if our family member's case turned

into a case from hell because this person's

fiance got out their cortisone cream from their

doctor and put it on the bites. If I would have

been there--there is no way I would have allowed

that.

Posts: 764 | From Northwest | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for willbeatthis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second the no prednisone recommendation. I had three back to back flus this past Jan-March with three sinus infections. What I learned:

1. I cannot do steroid nasal sprays. TF had said at one point I believe the underminded her wellness. Definitely did in my case. Xclear is a much better option.

2. You have to be clear enough for xclear to maintain wellness. My doc recommended Marcon spray- compounded from infuserve after my 3 infections to get me over the hump to prevent another- I didn't call my lyme MD until 3rd infection [Frown] .

3. I had used a squeeze bottle with xclear 2 x a day then down to 1 and then used Marcon spray. I now use xclear in its over the counter spray bottle with Pantanase once a day and thanks to Keebler stinging nettle and super quercitin. Lesson learned here- I kept reading you can alter your nasal flora too much with the high intensity spray bottle - I think there is real truth to that- so I backed down after Marcon spray but it appears I needed all things to rid me of a chronic sinus infection that lasted months. I believe the nasal steroid I used initially may well have set me up. I then went into regression or rlapse and have been trending upward thankfully due in great part to what I've learned here. The key is to find what works for you to get your allergies under control. Pantanase is a script but only antihistamine no steroids. Hope this may help! That Marcon spray is awesome- I believe it hits fungal as well as bacterial- I'd ask for it! I knew nothing about it until 2 months ago! Thinking of you! I believe you can maintain your remission with the guidance you've received from all these wonderful folks! Thanks to all!

Posts: 859 | From Southeast | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prednisone is bad stuff. Only use for an absolute emergency. It drives lyme deeper and destroys the immune system slowly. So not worth it.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pushingthru
Member # 28734

Okay so I'm still doing bad after 4 days of clindamycin 150 mg every 6 hours waking up twice at night to take. I nasal irrigate but blood is coming out so I'll take a break and take decongestants. I just am worried I have seen underlying really bad medical issue. I'm 45 and had the Lyme for 5 years. Scared. Breast is feeling harder and larger and have large hemorrhagic ovarian cyst. Not sure what to think. Help? Advice?
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nope no way...

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement