LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » depression

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: depression
HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HW88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone been on antidepressants while treating Lyme. Mine is getting quite bad and I'm not sure I can make it through treatment with flares so often. I was wondering if anyone had experience with dealing with depression while treating lyme.

Thanks,
H

Posts: 798 | From Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxy loxy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing wrong with an antidepressant if you need it. I had a friend who took it for a year till she got better.

It may be a nice Band-Aid till you get the infection under control, but this is only my opinion of course.

Posts: 477 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
If you have any kinds of fluorescent lights, you might switch those out to a warm LED.

First, consider nutrient deficiencies that are so common with depression:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=123746;p=0

Topic: MAGNESIUM - Informational Links set

and the kinds of liver stress / toxicity that can cause depression for those with lyme, support the liver and the brain gets some good relief, too.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030792;p=0

LIVER & KIDNEY SUPPORT & and several HERXHEIMER support links, too.

Consider the fact that GLUTEN can be a root cause of depression, too. When I went gluten free my mood was so much better than with any of the antidepressants that had made me much worse (my body can't handle such chemicals).

And food additives. All that is covered here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=029690;p=0

Excitotoxins; MSG; Aspartame; & "Natural" Flavors (that are not likely natural at all).
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Do you have enough good lipids on board? Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Hemp seed oil, Fish Oil (from good source, be sure of source) . . .

Your good fats are key to a decent mood. And enough good protein and lots of complex carbs from veggies of all colors. The colors in veggies can help so much with our mental health.

Avoiding bad / old / overly heated fats is also key. Even with nuts, be sure they are raw, not "roasted" - unless you do that yourself right before enjoying them at home. Once heated, the oils become rancid and clog the blood vessels. Depression is just one possible result.

If you consume any processed foods, look at the labels and be sure they are ZERO in trans fats.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HW88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW, Thank you everyone. Unfortunately eat is very hard for me. The lyme attacked the vagus nerve that tells my stomach to pump and so I deal with gastroparesis as well.

I eat a lot of coconut oil to try and get my good fats as well as fish oil supplement. I'm taking probiotics and eating sauerkraut.

My LLMD gave me a good multivitamin with SOOO much in it, but I wonder how much my body absorbs.

The depression flares mostly around my period, but my period is every 21 days, so if feels like it's a lot.

I've only been on antibiotics for a little over a month. I've seen some improvement in some areas, but still suffer so much in many ways.

Hoping each month gets better. I just know I won't make it if I have to keep dealing with debilitating depression every 2 weeks.

Thank you for all the suggestions. Thank you for responding. I really appreciate the suggestions and help.

I'm going to try to up my fruits and veggies and see if that helps. THANK YOU!

Posts: 798 | From Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Dong Quai is an excellent herb for the kinds of menstrual difficulties you describe. Liver support is also essential to good menstrual health. If the liver is taxed, menstruation is usually much harsher in many ways, including mood.

I can't read the rest of your post, just managed to see that part.

Many here can't read solid test. If you want more replies, you can use the edit icon (tiny paper and pencil) and add in some breathing room for the eyes and brain. You will get more replies if your audience can read your questions.

Three or four lines as the max for a finished paragraph is best. That's about 5-6 lines in the compose mode. You can use the edit icon to go back and forth as you like.

And, for each new thought, question or issue, a new paragraph. That way, stuff won't get lost or buried.
-

HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Keebler, how long were you off gluten before you could tell a difference?
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Some basics, although it would be best to consult a naturopathic doctor or herbalist and one who is lyme literate as lyme does complicate all this.

http://www.motherearthliving.com/health-and-wellness/herbs-for-health-the-menstrual-cycle.aspx

Herbs for Health: Remedies for Menstrual Problems

Humans have long been using herbs to regulate mentruation, relieve cramps and ease birth. Find out what herbs could help you with your own menstrual complaints.

By Steven Foster - Mother Earth Living - June / July 1997
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Q: " how long were you off gluten before you could tell a difference?"

Regarding brain fog / mood, probably a week or two. Regarding overall body pain, it took a little longer but I could tell I was on the right track.
-

HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Thank you so much!
HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

foxy loxy, do you know which antidepressant? I've heard some are better than others when it comes to lyme and how it responds.
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Consider as you explore any Rx -

A post by LymeToo a couple weeks ago, led to all this:

http://www.slweb.org/ftrc.html

FLUORIDE Toxicity Research Collaborative -- Second Look’s increasing focus on the toxicity of

fluorides and fluorine

compounds and related health effects is largely the result of fluoride's ongoing “invisibility”. . . .

http://www.slweb.org/ftrcfluorinatedpharm.html

Index of Fluorinated Pharmaceuticals

http://www.slweb.org/ftrcfluorinatedpharm_antid.html

Partial list of Fluorinated Antidepressants
-

HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Thank you! I will definitely weigh everything out.
bluelyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 47170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may want to try st johns and l dopa ,inositol and lithium orate before resorting to ssri...but i could use some trazadones or alazoprams ...

also kava ,ashgwanda ,holy basil and hops ,passion flower ..there is a supp called happy camper ..just ideas

--------------------
Blue

Posts: 1539 | From southwest | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SLH516
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48060

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLH516     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which antidepressant works is very individual and sometimes takes some trial and error.

Maybe someone can comment on which coinfection(s) have a 2-week cycle? Perhaps that's the/a reason for HW88's cyclical every-two-weeks depression?

Posts: 112 | From USA | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
high brix
Member # 23676

Icon 1 posted      Profile for high brix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My crushing, cyclical episodes of anxiety and depression had little connection to the external events in my life. I was fine one minute and the next I was in despair. There were no situational triggers that I could see. It was like someone kept secretly flipping a switch. I would have bouts of crying during these episodes. The anxiety/depression sometimes lasted hours and at other times days. This went on for several years. For me, there were underlying biochemical reasons. Supporting the methylation cycle was key. Sub-lingual methylcobalamin B12 was a life saver for me. For more information about the Active B12 Protocol: www.howirecovered.com/active-b12-therapy-faq
Posts: 58 | From east coast | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
high brix, thanks for that very important detail about B12 deficiency. Along that line:

www.nytimes.com/2016/07/09/health/mary-todd-lincoln-anemia-vitamin-b12.html?hpw&rref=health&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region®ion=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom- well&_r=0

Was Mary Todd Lincoln Driven ‘Mad’ by a Vitamin Deficiency?

By Denise Grady - NYT - July 8, 2016

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/06/health/mary-todd-lincoln-pernicious-anemia/index.html

What was behind Mary Todd Lincoln's bizarre behavior?

By Jen Christensen - CNN - July 6, 2016
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/36277

Topic: SSRI antidepressants & Suicide

Some other considerations regarding nutritional avenues, too.
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would stay away from SSRI's.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxy loxy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HW88, She took Lexapro and said it helped her so much. She then went off it and has been fine.

I wouldn't make an SSRI my first choice, but it lyme treatment isn't helping it then I bet I would.

Posts: 477 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

WOW, thank you everyone. I'm trying to weigh my options. Right now the depression/anxiety/insomnia are more than I can handle and continue with treatment.

I started Mino first and it threw me into a VERY bad place.

I was switched to Ceftin, which I've had good days on, but continue to cycle to bad places.

I'm afraid if I don't treat the depression/anxiety/insomnia, I won't make it through treatment at all.

Lots of options. Thank you so much for responding. It's nice to know others understand how hard this is.

me
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get the feeling based on your last post that you are in a lot of pain (emotionally), and I'm so terribly sorry.

It certainly doesn't hurt to go to a psychiatrist and get an opinion. Some people do need meds for depression, anxiety, etc. to get through this, and that's okay.

--------------------
Just sharing my experiences, opinions, and what I've read and learned. Not medical advice.

Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Me, thank you for your sympathy. I'm glad I found this site. It's nice to know others understand.

Thank you to everyone.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement