LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Chiari?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chiari?
txgirl09
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21612

Icon 1 posted      Profile for txgirl09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello! I haven't been on the board much in years....because I've been doing great and out living my life!!!

However, I've recently been having awful headaches and neck pains. I had an MRI and I was diagnosed with Chiari Malformation. Yet, I've had MRIs before, and this didn't show up. I've researched on here, and several other lymies have been diagnosed with this.

I'm trying to get more information. Please help if you are knowledgeable about this.

Thanks!

Posts: 490 | From TX- Go Cowboys! | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Hope the finding will be of help to figure out the best way to deal with this.

What is your doctor suggesting?

As to why it did not show up before,

An MRI has to be done in a very specific way to catch the exact view. And there are two steps for a Chiari MRI.

Did you have both steps, the second one is a CINE. If you did not have that, make no treatment decisions until that is also done.

The previous ones you had likely were not ordered to inquire about this. A lot of cases are missed due to this, actually - the order must be made in a very specific way and the test done accordingly or it won't show.

It may also be that the condition had not yet gotten prominent enough to see - but often these are there a long time before diagnosis is made.

http://www.mvertigo.org/t/chiari-malformation/1325

not their site but see the reply - 2009, then contact them directly below to see what their current thinking is, although it would be a case by case determination regarding any treatment.

http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/

What is your doctor suggesting? Whatever, there may be both a CHIARI support group and a also VESTIBULAR DISORDERS SUPPORT group of some kind in your area.

Contact both / all to see if others have experience with this and compare their notes.

You'd also want to learn the differences between an otoneurologist and a neurotologist as you weight your options with consultations. There is a major difference between them. One has far more experience with neurology and the other with ontological matters. I just can't remember which is which.
-

[ 08-08-2016, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://www.chiarisupport.org/

Chiari online support -- peer-to-peer support network

. . . There are four types of Chiari malformations: . . . .
-

[ 08-08-2016, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.mayfieldchiaricenter.com/chiari_diagnosis.php

Mayfield Chiari Center

. . . There is no specific test to confirm Chiari. Rather, a diagnosis is made by assessment of the patient’s symptoms, neurological exam, and MRI findings (i.e., tonsillar herniation, bone deformity, CSF blockage, syrinx). . . .

MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) scan
&

Cine MRI scan

- a special MRI study used to observe cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) flow (Fig. 11).
With each heartbeat, CSF is forced out of the ventricle of the brain, into the cisterna magna, and down the spinal canal.

When the heart relaxes, the CSF flow reverses.

The movie-like cine MRI captures the fluid movement. The test can determine if, and by how much, a Chiari is blocking the back-and-forth flow of CSF between the brain and spine. . . .

. . . All Chiari webinars and related videos are accessible on YouTube . . . .

[Much more detail at link, including the use of CT scans and X-rays to gather additional relative specifics]
-

bluelyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 47170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay life....Sounds like inflammation. .one doc uses iv curcumin here ...have you been tested for toxo or other opportunistic infections?

--------------------
Blue

Posts: 1539 | From southwest | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have Chiari and have had two corrective surgeries from the top Chiari Surgeon in the country. I have been through it all with Chiari and have a wealth of information. I would be happy to share what I know from both a patient perspective with Chiari and as Clinical Psychologist associated with the Chiari Research Center/ current research.

The diagnostic criteria has changed so many Neuroradiologists do not diagnose unless herniate is 5 mm or more, however, people with under developed skulls in the posterior fossa region may experience symptoms with just a 3mm herniation. Yes a CINE flow is necessary to analyze and determine if there is a restriction in csf flow. PM me if you have questions or are in need of assistance. This is a complex brain condition. DW

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Pulling hair back into a clip?

Headache, you say. While that can certainly be due to Chiari, lyme, or whatever else . . .

if you pull your hair up into a pony tail, a bun or whatever the term of the day is for that, even with short hair not quite even chin length, long enough to pull back and put in a claw clip to get off my face . . . I get extreme headache just from that although it's a rather loose gathering and not pulled tight.
-

txgirl09
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21612

Icon 1 posted      Profile for txgirl09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler - you are always a wealth of information....thank you! I truly appreciate it!
Posts: 490 | From TX- Go Cowboys! | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
txgirl09
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21612

Desertwind - Thank you. Wow, I'm impressed with your knowledge. I hope you are doing well. I'll PM you.
ktkdommer
Member # 29020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ktkdommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 21 year old son just had the possibility of Chairi show in a brain MRI for something else. He is now referred for further testing.

His physical Lyme symptoms have gotten better but not his brain. Still has some dizziness and nausea. Diagnosed with POTS but doing well and no longer needs meds. Cognitive function is terrible.

Again we wait. I'm thinking though he won't have it. Headaches are so much better. Tachycardia is gone.

--------------------
Things are never dull. After 3 fighting Lyme, 2 are in remission. Youngest is still sick, age 22. He has new diagnosed Chiari Malformation and Ehlers Danlos Syndrome.

Posts: 1366 | From Perrysburg, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement