LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » hair loss, again

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: hair loss, again
sillia
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sillia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a break from antimicrobials for 7 months, while I work on my methylation issues. The last month or so, my hair has thinned out dramatically! Coming out in clumps...

I had this symptom years ago and it improved completely with Lyme treatment (abx and herbal). Does it seem like I should start treating again?? Which abx/herbs most likely to help?

Thyroid is high normal with treatment and I think it's pretty steady.

Scalp doesn't really itch, feels tender and kind of warm or inflamed. I'm using the same castile-based (olive oil) shampoo I've used for years. I don't shampoo every day and have to comb very carefully.

This seems like a minor problem compared to all the other issues, but it makes me feel miserable, plus I think it may be a sign something's wrong.

Posts: 261 | From Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluelyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 47170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya mine is coming out with treatment ...scalp pain has stopped with bvt . Adding houtthnia and other things to go after bartonella but i blame bartonella for everything

--------------------
Blue

Posts: 1539 | From southwest | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm taking two pills of biotin. seems to help so far.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you on artificial thyroid hormone or the natural dessicated?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sillia
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sillia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bluelyme, what's bvt?

randibear, I just read about biotin as it happens, will get some, sounds promising.

Lymetoo, natural dessicated.

Posts: 261 | From Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... then I second the motion to try biotin.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lookup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lookup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the inflamed warm scalp one could try rinsing the hair in nettle tea water and also drinking nettle tea.

There are homeopathics for the inflamed warm scalp. If you are interested you can pm me.

Here is also something else to think about:
http://www.americanhairloss.org/women_hair_loss/causes_of_hair_loss.asp

"Telogen Effluvium

When your body goes through something traumatic like child birth, malnutrition, a severe infection, major surgery, or extreme stress, many of the 90 percent or so of the hair in the anagen

(growing) phase or catagen (resting) phase can shift all at once into the shedding (telogen) phase. About 6 weeks to three month after the stressful event is usually when the phenomenon called telogen effluvium can begin. It is

possible to lose handful of hair at time when in full-blown telogen effluvium. For most who suffer with TE complete remission is probable as long as severely stressful events can be avoided. For

some women however, telogen effluvium is a mysterious chronic disorder and can persist for months or even years without any true understanding of any triggering factors or stressors."

Posts: 764 | From Northwest | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sillia
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23994

Wow! I think that TE might be the cause...exactly 3 months ago I fell off a stool onto concrete and cracked a shoulder bone. It is healing well, and I'm lucky it wasn't a worse injury. However, I've remarked to people that it was surprisingly traumatic. The level of pain was quite something, for quite an extended time.

Thanks, lookup, I'm gonna go with this diagnosis, LOL! I was thinking it was spirochetes and I'd have to start up the battle again, but I don't feel ready to do that yet. So this makes some sense.

I will try the nettle tea water, that sounds nice. Today I mixed aloe gel with some drops of rosemary oil and mint and slathered that on. That felt reaaally nice and soothing.

thanks for all the help! I now have a plan, yay! And I don't think it's permanent, I do feel it will recover.

bluelyme
Member # 47170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a thread about the bee venom therapy...also am trying high dose biotin
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/134575?

--------------------
Blue

Posts: 1539 | From southwest | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sillia
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23994

aha! thank you, amazing.
lookup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lookup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hair falling out episodes are never fun and I am glad you don't think it is permanent.

One time, our daughter was losing so much hair it was like tumbleweeds rolling around here and there in the house. The only thing she was doing different was using ProActive for her face. At least you can rule out that it is not your shampoo.

In homeopathy there is the "never been well since"
scenario and if this is the case then it is in order to take the remedy one would have used at

the time of the accident. This remedy would be Arnica Montana. It helps lift the trauma that was inflicted, and that possibly could have embedded, in the person's vital force.

Good luck!

Posts: 764 | From Northwest | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sillia
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23994

interesting, I'll look into that remedy. Not familiar with that concept.

At the time I got two liniments from my herbalist--comfrey (aka knitbone) and a Chinese one for soft tissues, such as used by Kung Fu masters, LOL. I also used topical magnesium for pain with some success.

The bone healed nicely but I still have residual pain, despite rehab work and stretching. My herbalist wonders if it could be an opportunistic Lyme thing in there? The PT guy will look at it again in a few weeks, he thinks it may get better over time esp with more strengthening.

So spirochetes could be at play here.

lookup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44574

Spirochetes could be at play. They do love those weakened areas.

The difference between a homeopathic and a herbal is that the way that a homeopathic is made (succussing between each dilution) makes it energetic and one of the things that the homeopathic Arnica can do is go in and remove a cell memory of a trauma.

me
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry you are dealing with this. I went through a bad phase a few years ago and hair was everywhere. I hated washing my hair bc my hands would be full of strands and it would freak me out.

Have you had all hormones checked? Pituitary function? Do any of your meds have that side effect? Sometimes I find tons of patient reports about side effects that aren't listed on the drug label side effects by doing a Google search.

I will pray for you.

--------------------
Just sharing my experiences, opinions, and what I've read and learned. Not medical advice.

Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sillia
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23994

thanks me, oddly I'm not really taking much in the way of meds now. Thyroid, gabapentin if needed. On a break from things while working on methylation. Many supportive supplements for this, but I don't think any of these would cause this problem.

Yes, most hormones have been a little low, like many Lyme patients but not dramatically so any more. For some time for example I was taking adh (desmopressin) hormone for bladder and other problems but since getting on the methylation program I was able to phase that out. It's good to keep these hormones in mind and get them rechecked from time to time, which I do. At the moment they may be steady...?

I think the most likely explanations for the hair loss are the lyme or the effects of the shoulder injury, or both. It's been great to get so much thoughtful input from people about this!

sillia
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23994

Also, me, what do you think improved your hair loss issue of a few years ago?
me
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My hormones were off--that's the main reason. I'm sure there were other factors, too. I just don't know what they were.

Google gabapentin/neurontin hair loss. A lot comes up. I'm not saying that's the cause, just something to consider. I take gabapentin and haven't had this problem, but we know how some of us get side effects that others don't.

Some bladder meds can also cause hair loss, and it can last for a bit even after you stop the meds.

Basically, all my doctors told me there are a multitude of reasons for hair loss, not to worry, and it would most likely stop. But when it started, my thyroid and prolactin were off.

I was freaked out bc I kept losing hair even after my hormones were in check. I think it just took time for my body to readjust to hormones, but honestly, who knows?

--------------------
Just sharing my experiences, opinions, and what I've read and learned. Not medical advice.

Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sillia
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23994

I'm glad you got it resolved, but it is frustrating not to know causes. Doctors saying 'not to worry'--yeah, right, easy for them to say. I think my doc must get shoulder issues from so much shrugging.
me
Member # 45475

That made me giggle--the shoulder pain for shrugging shoulders comment.

I know, doctors kept telling me not to worry bc my hair would stop falling out-but that did zero to comfort me. It was very distressing, and I'm sorry you're going through this.

My thyroid dose got upped about a month ago and I've noticed a bit more hair falling out than usual, but not like it used to. I think my body is just adjusting? Who knows (I shrugged my shoulders on that one)! [Wink]

--------------------

surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check your iron/ ferritin status.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sillia
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23994

Good point. I wouldn't suspect anemia necessarily (post-men., last blood work okay) but you never know...next blood work coming up fairly soon. Thanks!
bluelyme
Member # 47170

I do have low iron ...hmmm

--------------------
Blue

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Iodine deficiency can cause hair loss, too.

http://suzycohen.com/articles/salt_iodine_thyroid/

Article: IODINE - By Suzy Cohen, RPh

http://www.drbrownstein.com/Iodine-Why-You-Need-It-p/iodine.htm

Book: Iodine: Why You Need It, Why You Can’t Live Without It

By Dr. David Brownstein
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garnet10
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for garnet10     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had intermittent scalp soreness with subsequent hair fall-out (telogen effluvium--there are little bulbs at the ends of the hairs) for years.

I have been on thyroid supplementation, iron stores are good, have taken iodine and biotin daily, and take bio-identical hormones--none of which seem to affect this problem which happens randomly.

My LLMD suggested this may be related to the Lyme, or else it is some other auto-immune issue. I'm hoping as I progress in my Lyme treatment that this will eventually resolve.

Posts: 116 | From USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement