LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » PRP Injections

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PRP Injections
tickalert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickalert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone had platelet rich plasma injections?

I was doing very well with lyme not having symptoms for quite some time.

My knee has been very painful from an injury and possibly lyme.

Last Friday I had my first injection of PRP which caused massive vertigo, heart palpitations and a headache.

My head is still hurting and I don't feel quite right.

I researched these injections and couldn't find any side effects.

Does anyone know anything about these?

I called the Dr. who did the injection attributing it to me not breathing enough during the injection which is BS.

Saturday I saw my PCP who thinks I had a reaction as well.

Posts: 911 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow... what a mess. I've heard of it being used for plantar fasciitis, but not for knees.

Maybe it just PO'd the spirochetes?

Do you know what is in the shots besides the plasma?

Are you feeling any better now?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickalert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickalert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No I still have symptoms.
Posts: 911 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
The doctor is beyond outrageous. He should be carefully investigating your reaction and researching with experts as to if any have had similar reports.

I did not do a thorough CROSS search with various terms that might find more for you, some basics below, though.

I'm so sorry to hear of this. My curiosity and enjoyment of learning - and connected dots - led me to just a starting point. My energy has abandoned me so I'm sure I won't be taking this further. Hope someone will for you, though.

First, I assume this was from your very own blood supply (as that seems what I've read is done).

First connections / dots I wonder about:

CYTOKINE STORM? As cytokines are injected with this treatment.

INTERLEUKIN 8? I had pretty substantial adverse reactions to this when I took it sublingually years ago. Although I do not recall if there was a number after it, just that it was interleukin. That's one search to consider.

PREPARATION ERRORS or variances? Apparently, there is no standardization of this in the industry.

OTHER INGREDIENTS below

& any that may have been included with your injection that are not listed below?

Wondering if any of the others ingredients (listed below) might be of concern, nothing else pops out for my amateur awareness, although, others might notice something "pops" when they see the list and, certainly, I sure don't know all about each ingredient here. Not by a long shot.

Bottom line, though, you had the reaction. Something went wrong. Can you cancel your check for this? Would your bank or credit card company do that for a matter of dispute if you were not informed of any possible undesirable outcomes?

Just for starters (I know you likely know all this already, but mostly for those who might want to help with the puzzle):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platelet-rich_plasma

Platelet-rich plasma (abbreviation: PRP) is blood plasma that has been enriched with platelets.

As a concentrated source of autologous platelets, PRP contains several different growth factors and other cytokines that can stimulate healing of bone and soft tissue. . . .

. . . As of 2016, no large-scale randomized controlled trials have confirmed the promise of PRP in basic science and preclinical trials to treat . . . .

. . . For preparation of PRP, various protocols are used and no standard protocol exists . . . .

. . . Components (section)

. . . The platelets collected in PRP are activated by the addition of thrombin and calcium chloride, which induces the release of the mentioned factors from alpha granules. The growth factors and other cytokines present in PRP include:[3][4]

platelet-derived growth factor

transforming growth factor beta

fibroblast growth factor

insulin-like growth factor 1

insulin-like growth factor 2

vascular endothelial growth factor

epidermal growth factor

Interleukin 8

keratinocyte growth factor

connective tissue growth factor

. . . Preparation (section)

. . . There is broad variability in the production of PRP by various concentrating equipment and techniques . . . .

. . . There was weak evidence that suggested that harm occurred at comparable, low rates in treated and untreated people.[29] * . . . .

. . . Since 2004, proponents of PRP therapy have argued that negative clinical results are associated with poor-quality PRP produced by inadequate single spin devices . . . .

. . . . [Full Wikipedia entry, and 32 research citations at link above]

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD010071.pub3/abstract

* #29: Moraes VY (April 2014). "Platelet-rich therapies for musculoskeletal soft tissue injuries". Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 29 (4): CD010071.

**** . . . Four trials reported adverse events . . . . ****

. . . In conclusion, the available evidence is insufficient to to support the use of PRT for treating musculoskeletal soft tissue injuries or show whether the effects of PRT vary according to the type of injury.

Any future research in this area should bear in mind the several studies currently going on and should consider the need for standardisation of the PRP preparation.

[Full article at link]
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
It might be (?) that it may not "take" diabetes to cause a reaction such as this if one might have varying degree of metabolic syndrome or any issues with pancreas or blood sugar stability. Just a thought.

http://tinyurl.com/zshl5hy

in Clinical journal of sport medicine: official journal of the Canadian Academy of Sport Medicine 24(2) · August 2013

Exuberant Inflammatory Reaction as a Side Effect of Platelet- Rich Plasma Injection in Treating One Case of Tendinopathy

Abstract

:Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) contains a large number of growth factors, which may enhance tendon healing processes. Local injection of PRP represents a relatively new treatment for tendinopathies. To date, no side effects have been reported after injection of PRP to treat tendinopathy.

We report a case of exuberant inflammatory reaction after 1 injection of PRP to treat jumper's knee in a 35-year-old male type 1 diabetic patient.

Injections of PRP should be proposed only after careful consideration in cases of patients with morbidity risks linked to insulin-dependent diabetes.
-

[ 09-07-2016, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garnet10
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for garnet10     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had two PRP injections, one in each hip bursa, and did not have any adverse reaction. Since the PRP is injection of your own spun down platelets, I can see why the doctor did not think your reaction was due to the injection.

If you know you have Lyme, could this be a die-off reaction? The PRP injection's intent is to increase inflammatory mediators which will induce healing--perhaps the injection of your own concentrated platelets also killed off some bugs?

Posts: 116 | From USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garnet10
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for garnet10     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also meant to add that when my husband had PRP injections for partial tear in his rotator cuff, it took about 4 to 6 weeks before he saw relief. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 treatments as well.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 116 | From USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickalert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7033

I'm beyond furious about this situation.

I spoke with them with there response that I could have damage to my heart since I took Advil a long time ago experiencing similar symptoms.

10 days later ad I still am not feeling great.

They want me to come in to listen to my heart and refer me to a Cardiologist.

I don't think this is the problem.

Infuriates me how this is being approached.

tickalert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7033

The other question is how do I get rid of this?
tickalert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7033

Thank you for the information Keebler!
windingshores
Member # 48600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for windingshores     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just posted about this under the thread about SI joint problems. PRP was a miracle cure for my daughter, amazing after 10 years of failed PT, pain and trouble walking at times. She is thriving now. I am sorry you are having problems with it and hope you find an answer as to cause.It does induce inflammation as a way to tighten the joint, I believe: perhaps that is behind your problems, or perhaps your immune system is reacting somehow (though it is your own blood). I hope it gets better!

For others, please don't let this scare you from trying it!!

Posts: 54 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
My guess is that the variables and the attitude of the doctor matter greatly. It is good to have notes of those for whom this did well, so that variables might be considered.

tickalert, you ask: "other question is how do I get rid of this?" (end quote)

well, first thing, I'd sure not go back to that doctor. See if you can find others who do this who might better understand what when wrong with your exploration.

oh, no, first: get a list of ALL ingredients. There may have been additives, etc.

Hope some of my stumbling might help shed light on possible players. As for what can help now, I would start on the likely cytokine reaction with:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=031228;p=0

STINGING NETTLE LEAF (not root) - Links set

The herb, STINGING NETTLE may serve to compensate for the reaction by calming the the cytokine storm that is often part of a herx reaction.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
LymeToo asked: "Maybe it just PO'd the spirochetes?" (end quote)

as this is your own spun blood (or parts of) . . . this could be. While you seem in a good remission, if there had been any forms of lyme in your blood that was spun for this, it could be they did really go to town, so to speak.

I recall having read a long time that spirochetes fiercely hate 3 main things: vibration topped the list. Heat and -- I just can't recall the 3rd one. It may have been ice. But then, they would also hate antispirochetal agents.

But vibration really stuck with me as vibrations make me so very ill due to inner ear issues . . . and then I realized it might be more than that.

One question would be for those who do well with this . . . do they have lyme?
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement