LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Nanotrap help!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nanotrap help!
sardavis
Member # 48690

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sardavis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did the Igenex test with a doctor that isn't a LLMD and it came back CDC neg, but Igenex IND with Igm 41+, 31+, 34IND, 83-92IND and Igg 34IND, 39IND and 41++.

I went to a LLMD to have her help me understand my results and she isn't convinced I have Lyme based on Igenex test.

She made me do the Nano Trap test, which is $400. She said it's the most accurate test out there right now and it's the only one she trusts.

I don't know much about this new test and am afraid it's going to come back neg, even though I have symptoms.

She specifically thinks I have Bartonella. Has anyone done the Nano Trap test? I thought it was just for newly infected people?

If I have Lyme, it would've been from 5 years ago so I don't know if this test is for me, but I don't know. Help!

Posts: 24 | From Michigan | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no clue. If she's a real LLMD, she would have trusted Igenex. (your test results scream Lyme) ... unless perhaps she is making money off the Nano Trap.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordana
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 45305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jordana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was going to do the nanotrap.I decided against it and after I did I got annoyed that the only way you can get it is if you agree to be part of the ILADS study and get it through an LLMD.

In fact if she is ordered the test for you she's a participating researcher.

If I were you i would just tell her you don't have 400 bucks to be 100 percent *sure* and you would like to be treated for Lyme please.

Posts: 2057 | From Florida | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The correct way to diagnose lyme is by symptoms. A blood test is just used to confirm it. If she doesn't think you have it based upon your blood test and symptoms, then I would find another doc.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sardavis
Member # 48690

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sardavis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, this is all very confusing. I thought for sure I had Lyme and then to go into her office and hear that she doesn't think that based on my Igenex test is a bummer. Also, I've already spent so much money and that test was $400 and her appt was $300. If she says it's negative, I don't even know what I'll do.
Posts: 24 | From Michigan | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordana
Member # 45305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jordana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's positive. Get treated. I've spent thousands on testing and just really wasted a lot of time. Actually regret that more than the money.
Posts: 2057 | From Florida | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She has a moral obligation to treat you.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
project
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for project     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The nanotrap is a really cool test though. If it was available I would have done it instead of Igenex which was also around $400 if I recall.

I mean there are other infections and the nanotrap will pretty much definitively say whether or not there is active replicating Borrelia.

I can't wait until it's more widely available, I think it's going to be the thing that blows the lid off this thing. It's going to be incredibly shocking to find out how many people have active Lyme.

Posts: 131 | From CO | Registered: Jul 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordana
Member # 45305

Totally agree project! I was excited to get the signoff and the kit but then I got results back from DNA connexions which found OSPA -- same thing, active Lyme.

And just want to point out that positive test was after about seven months of combined treatment with abx, herbs and bvt.

etb6855
Member # 48383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for etb6855     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where did ya'll go to have your Igenex blood tests drawn? I have a PICC line so drawing the blood isn't an issue but need a lab to spin the red top so it can be mailed off.

I have been trying to find an answer to this for a while. Do Quest or Labcorp just charge you for this and then you mail off your tests on your own?

Posts: 86 | From LA | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordana
Member # 45305

I just went to my local hospital. They did the draw and since they have their own fedex box they put it in their mail for me.

Just go wherever you go to get blood drawn and bring them the kit. They'll do it.

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get your bloodtest done early in the week at Quest or Labcorp and they will send it off.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbb
Member # 788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From my experiences through the years, I would skip Quest and Labcorp and use IGeneX for blood tests. There's a newer lab in PA that does cultures, but I don't have information on them.

I had the Nanotrap test and, in my opinion, it has pros and cons.

My results were negative, but my LLMD in NY said that doesn't mean absolutely "no LD". The test does not detect Lyme if it is intracellular. I don't remember the second part of his statement, but I think it was the cystic form of Lyme is not detected. Sorry...Lyme brain here.

What I understood him to say:
Advantage is that test results come back quickly.
Negative result means no evidence in the blood that can be filtered out by the kidneys.

Thankfully, they have improved the shipping. I had to secure dry ice to put with the frozen samples. Now, they include a "freeze pack" that you use when you ship it to the lab.

The $400 is the lab fee. You also have to pay for overnight shipping.

Needless to say, I was extremely disappointed after the time, effort and expense for the test, but you'll have to decide what's best for your situation.

Posts: 4638 | From South Carolina | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

cbb .. I THINK Robin was suggesting that Quest or LabCorp will do the blood draw for Igenex if you ask them.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

cbb
Member # 788

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cbb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I was confused by the comment.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Posts: 4638 | From South Carolina | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordana
Member # 45305

I don't think it's true that it doesn't detect Lyme if it's intracellular. It doesn't detect Lyme if it's inactive. In other words, you could still have it but when you took the test it wasn't shedding OSPA.
dogmom2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dogmom2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
seems like if this is part of research, you shouldn't have to pay to be tested.
Posts: 857 | From northern california | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cbb
Member # 788

Jordana, I certainly wouldn't know, but that's the term he used.
Sorry.
I was just sharing information because I thought it may help someone.

Jordana
Member # 45305

Agree dogmom!
sardavis
Member # 48690

I wasn't aware of the nano trap being a research thing. She made it seem like it was just the best test out there. Is there a way to find out if it's in research still?

I don't understand how she knows this test is so much better if it hasn't even been out for a year yet?

Jordana
Member # 45305

The reasoning is, lots of people have been exposed to Lyme. They could have been treated for Lyme. But the Lyme ( and their immune reaction) could be due to dead bug parts and not active live bugs.

What nanotrap is supposed to do it differentiate between active and nonactive Lyme, to try to figure out if it's active Lyme that's giving you symptoms. At some point I hope you'd be able to go to the doctor and he'd be able to say, yes you're sick but there is definitive proof you don't have lyme. Or yes we treated you with 28 days of doxy but it looks like you still have active Lyme.

It is the best test so far because it can tell between the two.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement