LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Two ticks tested, but......

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Two ticks tested, but......
Alisandne
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alisandne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This year I sent seven deer ticks, removed from me at different times beginning in May, to Arizona to be tested. The lab must be overwhelmed, because so far I've received results on only two of them.

Both of the ticks had these results:

Lyme: negative
Relapsing fever: negative
Babesiosis: negative
Anaplasmosis: negative

My first thought was that it's good to have validation that not every tick is infected. But then I wondered . . .

At the time the ticks were attached to me, I was on antibiotics. Do you think it's possible that my antibiotic-treated blood killed their infections? Sounds like a long shot to me, but I'm curious.

Thanks!

Posts: 117 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Send them to Igenex next time.

That said, not all tick testing is accurate. I found out the hard way.

I'm not sure about your being on antibiotics at the time, but the lab would know.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alisandne
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alisandne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Igenex would charge for the test, I'm sure. Northern Arizona University is doing them for free.

I knew by the time I got the results back, too much time would have passed for them to be useful. It would be foolish to wait three months to be treated. So the tests are more to provide information about ticks in my area than anything else.

Posts: 117 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alisandne:
So the tests are more to provide information about ticks in my area than anything else.

-
Exactly.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alisandne
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27304

Another tick test result just arrived. It's the same as the others: negative on everything.
grakay
Member # 48057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for grakay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sent mine to University of Massachusetts as I didn't know any better. It came back negative for lyme, babesia, bartonella, etc all the co-infections. It was the only tick that bit me and I definitely am positive for lyme and bartonella.

I am curious about the % of ticks that carry lyme & coinfections. I also wondering how accurate the testing of ticks are. I'd called to check if they could test my tick as I kept it (dead) for a month before sending it in. They said that they could test ticks up to years after we zip lock it. I find that hard to believe.

Posts: 49 | From CO | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I would at least keep the tick in the freezer.

Doesn't surprise me that they missed the infections. Personal experience.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

me
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.tribdem.com/news/percent-of-area-ticks-carry-lyme-disease-finds-pitt-johnstown/article_5b814186-839f-11e6-bf90-073e988428e6.html

I would venture to say the number is higher than 33%. Be very mindful of any health symptoms.

--------------------
Just sharing my experiences, opinions, and what I've read and learned. Not medical advice.

Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alisandne
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27304

Grakay, it's possible that wasn't the only tick that bit you. I'm lucky that my many tick bites itched; otherwise I might never have spotted them. Nymph and larval forms need a strong magnifying glass to ID them as ticks.

Even with the itch, it seems likely I wasn't aware of every bite I've gotten.

GloriaPhair
Member # 48889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GloriaPhair     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pets are important to your family, and protecting them from tick-borne disease should be part of your tick bite prevention program. It is important to do tick and flea prevention as it keeps your pet healthy. For successful flea control, the home, the pet and often, the yard must be treated. You can call professional CT pest control exterminators to get rid of this problem.

--------------------
GloriaPhair

Posts: 2 | From Clintonville | Registered: Oct 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep in mind there are many stands of borrelia that aren't on Lyme tests. Watch very carefully for any symptoms or illnesses. Lyme can effect any organ in the body. Best.

--------------------
Just sharing my experiences, opinions, and what I've read and learned. Not medical advice.

Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement