LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » High Blood Pressure

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: High Blood Pressure
jsnyde2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jsnyde2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Is this typical for a Lymie with cos to have higher blood pressure than normal? Mine has been much higher than normal.

Like 140-150 over high 80's. But pulse was 62. Previously, it was typically 120/70.

I see my GP next week: would I go on BP meds until I get the Lyme licked? Should I be calling my LLMD re this?

Before I had Lyme the 1st time (11 years ago), I was very athletic so had really low blood pressure and pulse. I licked the Lyme (well, it went into remission it seems) but BP still has never been low again -it's been 120/70 - just normal.

Any insight? Thank you!

Posts: 351 | From La Crosse, WI | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordana
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 45305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jordana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have high bp too and I spent months googling ALL my symptoms to see how typical they were.

High blood pressure is not typical of Lyme. Low blood pressure is.

However if you have kidney involvement or hormonal issues or you have a co-infection, that could do it.

Your blood pressure is not that high. My sense is that people who are *sick* with bacterial infections tend to have higher blood pressure. If the Lyme has been quietly letting a virus out of the box that could do it too.

Posts: 2057 | From Florida | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jsnyde2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jsnyde2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Jordana. I was diagnosed with Bart and Babs, the latter not being treated yet. But I start the Abx for that in another week.

I just have to attribute the high BP to Lyme and cos, since before tick bite it was perfectly normal. And hope my treatment eradicates everything.

Posts: 351 | From La Crosse, WI | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also check the herbs you are taking.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clint31
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clint31     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine's been 120/80 all my life until the last 2-3 years; and it's been 140/95 type stuff or 130/85 type stuff or 135/90 usually in that time. It seems to come in waves; where it runs high for several weeks then normalizes. Then it goes high again. I can always feel when it's messed up badly.

I cannot, for the life of me figure out what makes it run high. I am 34. I need to lose a few pounds but I'm not that out of shape. Former athlete, so I have an athletic body type.

I do think when the body is fighting something, BP can run high.

--------------------
DX'ed Lyme Disease: 7/7/2008
DX'ed Babesia, Epstein Barr, Liver Parasite 8/15/2013.

Posts: 739 | From Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A person with Lyme can develop high blood pressure when the blood vessels stiffen due to calcium deposits.

When you have Lyme, the bacteria live in your body's cells, using up the magnesium.
All of the cells enzyme processes depend on magnesium, and when it's low the body pulls calcium from the bones to compensate.

The extra calcium now circulating in the bloodstream tends to deposit on the vessel walls, which makes them stiffer and unable to expand as much when the heart pumps blood.
This makes the pressure of the blood in the vessels rise.

The extra calcium also deposits on the heart valves, causing heart disease, and precipitates in the kidneys, causing kidney stones.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pocono Lyme
Member # 5939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pocono Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My blood pressure was always low. 80/50, sometimes 90/50. After years of dealing with this nightmare, my BP went to 162/130.

My PCP put me on Lisinopril which brought it down after approximately 3 weeks.

When I went to a bio-identical hormone replacement doctor, it was realized that my adrenals were "shot". This doctor told me my BP most likely went up due to adrenal crisis and I would be able to stop the Lisinopril in time. He was right.

I took hydrocortisone to replace what my adrenals stopped making. I'm still on it, but weaning off now.

That and thyroid med. got me out of bed, couch, recliner.

--------------------
2 Corinthians 12:9-11

9 But he said to me, �My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.� Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ�s power may rest on me.

Posts: 1445 | From Poconos, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Badtick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Badtick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me it is typical, and got much higher than yours. It always came down with treatment.

I would not do any of those BP meds.

Posts: 184 | From CT | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jsnyde2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7888

Thanks everybody. Very knowledgeable and helpful. I really didn't want to do the BP meds so I'm encouraged not to.
Jordana
Member # 45305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jordana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've denied bp meds when my duc refused to speak to me unless I went on a bp med.

It's normal for bp to be slightly higher when you're sick. It's the body's normal adjustment to change and stress.

My problem with them is that we take so much stuff and it's hard enough to figure out what's doing what.

Posts: 2057 | From Florida | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clint31
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clint31     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I drink hibiscus tea regularly. supposed to help lower BP naturally. I do not do any salt on my food either.

--------------------

Posts: 739 | From Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxy loxy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carol in Pa is right.

Try taking a GOOD magnesium supplement. It is well known to lower your blood pressure safely.

Posts: 477 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are teas to deal with BP. They worked for me (specially, Chinese mixtures).

I never took any drug for that.

Mine were up ONLY during active lyme. Because of lyme, I'm sure.

It's been about 7 years lyme free, high blood pressure free. No need for any meds.

Lyme does not give only low blood pressure!! Not true.

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jsnyde2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7888

I agree with you Brussels, I find it too coincidental that I have this new high BP along with my latest Lyme nightmare. I'm chalking it up to Lyme and trying tea remedies. And magnesium, of course, which I have been taking
Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I swear by chlorella + bear garlic tincture + MSM.

Binders always helped me feeling less anxious, so, reducing also my BP.

when binders, magnesium, milk thistle didn't help, I took also chinese teas, specifically for HBP.

Since lyme went dormant, I never have the problem any longer.

Some people get low BP, others get high BP.

Some people take good salts and get LOW BP, some people take ANY salt and get high BP.

it's a mystery.

Now I'm on high garlic (suphur) (See my kimchi thread) and I feel SO relaxed.

Grounding also relaxes and I suspect, helps lowering BP (just a guess, because it feels wonderful).

I think there may be some connection too with wheat / gluten / high sugar, but I can't remember which...

-----------------------------------
I just googled fast:
https://ibstreatmentcenter.com/2012/05/high-blood-pressure-and-food-allergies-2.html

http://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2010/3/reduce-blood-pressure-naturally/page-01

http://www.lifeextension.com/Magazine/2010/3/Reduce-Blood-Pressure-Naturally/Page-02

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jsnyde2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7888

Thanks, Brussels, all good stuff!
Clint31
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16420

Anyone ever hear their heartbeat in their ear on the day's blood pressure seems spiked?

I can feel when mine is up

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement