LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Rifampin--stomach pain

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rifampin--stomach pain
HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HW88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering if anyone had an awesome trick for taking rifampin? I've been having a lot of stomach pain.

Not the usual nausea that I've had for years from gastroparesis, but pain.

This started when I started rifampin. I was in what seemed to be a heavy fog for about a week, but that has somewhat lifted and now it's just my stomach.

I've tried ginger chews... any other thoughts?

Posts: 798 | From Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry you have pain. Don't know what is causing it, but want to be sure you are taking the meds on a FULL stomach.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HW88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks tincup. I do take it with food.... hmm.
Posts: 798 | From Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paulmichael
Member # 47452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paulmichael     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to take my Rifampin on an empty stomach or my urine doesn't change color.
Posts: 8 | From Manahawkin, New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Paulmichael. I take my rifampin with food and my urine and bowel movements are ORANGE!

Does it hurt your stomach to take on an empty stomach?

TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just looked at 2 websites regarding rifampin and stomach pain and both of them said to call your doctor right away if you get stomach pain on rifampin.

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-1744/rifampin-oral/details#side-effects

"Tell your doctor right away if any of these unlikely but serious side effects occur: flu-like symptoms (fever, chills, headache, muscle aches), signs of kidney problems (such as change in the amount of urine), persistent nausea/vomiting, stomach/abdominal pain"

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-1744/rifampin-oral/details#side-effects

Upset stomach and heartburn are common side effects. But, stomach pain is not. Since you are having a lot of stomach pain, I hope you can call your doctor today. Don't want to run into the holiday on Thursday and not be able to get his advice.

Wish you the best.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Thanks TF. I took today off of rifampin. I'm going to take it again tomorrow and see if the stomach pain comes back. Today is o.k.... so if the pain gets back, I'll call tomorrow.

Thank you for thinking of me. so so much!

Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thinking about you! Good luck!

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluelyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 47170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are we allowed to take a break? Pulsing bad or ok ? Resistance vs persisrence?

--------------------
Blue

Posts: 1539 | From southwest | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Thank you everyone. From all I've read from others, rifampin kicked their behinds and then did wonders!

<sigh> daily problem solver.

Paulmichael
Member # 47452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paulmichael     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It doesn't hurt my stomach at all. I'm currently on azithromycin and rifampin twice per day. I guess I'm lucky
Posts: 8 | From Manahawkin, New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement