LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Question re: tetracycline herx on low dose

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question re: tetracycline herx on low dose
HopefulNY
Member # 46070

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi...just D.C. With chronic Lyme and Bartonella since 1994. Seeing Dr. P in CT. Started on 500 mg day of tetracycline. It's only been a week.

3 days in, my usual fatigue became insane as well as neuropathy, legs buckling, nightmares, sleeping like I have mono, sobbing out of control...
Some new syptoms along with constant old ones,

Can I be herxing so fast and on such a low dose? Dr P
said not to increase dose of I start herxing from initial dosage.
I'm just wondering what's going on inside me?

This is all so new.,,appreciate any thoughts. Thanks so much to this amazing group.

Posts: 22 | From NY | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like it is hitting something. I would follow your doctor's advice and take things slowly. Dr. P has a good reputation and knows his stuff.

I am taking tetracycline as well and it can be powerful. We all react differently based on the damage this disease has done. Good luck to you. I hope you start to get some relief.

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christopher J
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christopher J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would work up to the full dose and just dont pay too much attention to the herx, etc. Early on in treatment, everything will make you herx and that shouldnt be a sign to stop, it should be a sign to double down and pound it. A part of your issue is that you are using too low a dose, which actually can work against you.
Posts: 173 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulNY
Member # 46070

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Christopher 3, if you don't mind...how does a low dose work against me? Thanhs fur your help! And thanks as well Dpei!
Posts: 22 | From NY | Registered: Jun 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have an excellent LLMD. I would definitely listen to his advice on this and contact him to report your response so far to the smaller dose of tetracycline. He started you off on a smaller dose for a reason.

Dr. P sees thousands of lyme patients - and has great expertise on success and failure with antibiotic treatment. Herxing too hard is not good either. Often we need to stay on smaller dose and gradually work up to a larger dose or even switch meds.

Good luck to you, hopefulNY and keep us posted.

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, that sounds like a herx. Your body is responding to all of the die-off. Definitely follow your doctor's advice and don't increase the dose until he tells you to. My guess is that he will have you work up slowly.

I would give his office a call and ask what he recommended for detox methods.

In the meantime, you can do gentle ones on your own, such as lemon water - lots, epsom salt baths, sweating in a sauna, and if you can gentle exercise gets the lymph system going which is good for moving the bad stuff out.

Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it sounds just like a herx and the timing is right for one.

To flush out all the dead germs, drink lots and lots of water all day long with fresh lemons squeezed into it.

You can also get some Alka Seltzer Gold (it has no aluminum in it) and take that 4 times a day with lemon squeezed into it. If you can't find that, take baking soda as a substitute.

These things really help.

The water will flush out everything and the lemon juice is a cleanser of the body.

Many people are amazed at how well these things work to make them feel better. When I was treating these diseases, I drank lemon water all day long. I made it my only drink. I give that the credit for my mild herxes.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Badtick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Badtick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started off on tetracycline also with the same LLMD when I was first properly treated many years back. Is was so bad off he was concerned that the herx could kill me.

Looking back, it was the correct approach and I eventually fully recovered under his care.

As others have mentioned, do everything you can to help detox as the Toxins are where the majority of your symptoms come from.

Posts: 184 | From CT | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christopher J
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christopher J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hopeful a dose that low isnt sufficient to maintain kill blood levels. Burrascano says 500 mg tid or qid. Three or four times a day. Youre basically stunning it and then giving it time to regroup
Posts: 173 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Burrascano, page 14:

"The TETRACYCLINES, including doxycycline and minocycline, are bacteriostatic unless given in high doses."

Do not fear, Hopeful. The lower dosage of tetra that you are taking is stopping the germs from multiplying. That is what "bacteriostatic" means. So, that is a good thing.

There is no "stunning it and then giving it time to regroup."

So, continue obeying your doctor. Remember, a dead patient can't take any meds at any dosage! It is the turtle that wins the race!

Treating lyme and coinfections is a marathon and not a sprint. We say that all the time. What it means is that it is a long race and you have to be willing to continue treating for a long, long time. Don't lose patience and do something that could be harmful to yourself.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulNY
Member # 46070

You all are fantastic. Thank you so much. Am calmer now.
Will start detoxing and just breathe....

Don't know what I'd do without this bright group.
💪💪💪

Badtick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Badtick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr P learned a long time ago that putting a patient with a high infection load into an aggressive tx right off the bat leads to set backs or worse and ultimately a longer recovery time.

Everyone has a different situation. It is not as simple as reading an ILADS guideline and dishing out the meds.

In my case I had pretty significant cardiac involvement in the beginning of treatment. If I followed the advice from J above I likely would have died.

Posts: 184 | From CT | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, I agree it sounds like a herx. Glad you are calmer now. [Smile]

--------------------
Just sharing my experiences, opinions, and what I've read and learned. Not medical advice.

Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulNY
Member # 46070

Sorry to annoy you guys, don't know why my same post showed up 3 times ughh....who knows what my brain is doing now.
dbpei
Member # 33574

LOL. I was thinking it was me, not deleting my email notifications! Hopeful, you can delete or edit your own posts by highlighting/pressing the little icon with piece of paper with the pencil, found at the top of your post. You will be given opportunity to either edit or delete your posts. I hope I explained this okay. [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement